It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

Biker Mama HB User
Exclamation Stapedectomy Surgery Monday 2/18 (Nervous!!)

Hello to all,
This is my 1st thread/post and I am going for my 1st stapedectomy at Univ of Penn on Monday 2/18th. Dr. Bigelow is performing the Sx. I have been doing tons of research and reading the posts on here and must say, I am nervous and yet very anxious. I have had severe otosclerosis since age 8. Although they weren't able to diagnose me at that time and only brushed it off continuously as "wax build-up". I am tired of batteries / hearing aids (which are astronomical and my insurance won't cover them) and just want to be able to hear again. My surgeon made it clear to me that this will not improve my hearing 100%, but if the surgery is successful, then he'll perform another stapedectomy in my left ear, 1 year from now.
Sorry for rambling on, lol but just praying for the best!!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User
Re: Stapedectomy Surgery Monday 2/18 (Nervous!!)

Good luck. From the sound of your description, you might be one of the people who notice a hearing improvement right after surgery. I am 10 days post op and so far my hearing has not yet returned to pre surgery levels, although mine was not terrible. I am hoping it will. Not sure what else to tell you because as you have read so many peopel respond and react so differently to this procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

Biker Mama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
Good luck. From the sound of your description, you might be one of the people who notice a hearing improvement right after surgery. I am 10 days post op and so far my hearing has not yet returned to pre surgery levels, although mine was not terrible. I am hoping it will. Not sure what else to tell you because as you have read so many peopel respond and react so differently to this procedure.
Thank you so much!! And I wish and pray for you too!! Please let me know how you're doing.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

How did your surgery go? I have some strange hearing now myself. My hearing is maybe 75% of what it was pre surgery. Whats really strange is the timing is off from one ear to the other creating an echo in my head.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
(female)

Biker Mama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
How did your surgery go? I have some strange hearing now myself. My hearing is maybe 75% of what it was pre surgery. Whats really strange is the timing is off from one ear to the other creating an echo in my head.
Wow that is really weird. Well, post-op has been kicking my a$$, literally. I am suffering from terrible vertigo. Was really nauseas the first few days and then just mainly the vertigo. Can't hear at all from the surgery ear, as it's packed with dressings until i go back on march 7th.
hope you're well

Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
(male)

Jaretr1 HB User

Thank goodness I did not suffer any side effects other than some mild lightheadedness which has gone. My hearing has not improved at all since the packing was removed. It still feels like my ear is clogged, and I am hearing maybe at 75% of what it was pre surgery. Voices sound distorted and actually sound like cartoon characters. I think low frequency hearing might be better as all the thumps and low noises in my car are much more pronounced. I go back mid march for my followup hearing test, which unless things improve, will not be good.

Reply Reply