It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

oddaud71 HB User
stapedectomy and age

I am a 71 year old woman who has had one successful stapedectomy (for otosclerosis in my right ear) and am considering one in my left ear, now. The first one lasted 10 yrs. but now I'm getting hearing loss there. And, I am also getting hearing loss in my left ear that had been good til last year. My ENT doctor is not recommending a stapedectomy for the left ear and thinks the risks may be too great, and a hearing aid might be all I need. And he wouldn't operate on the right ear that has already had a stapedectomy because "in most cases there is not much improvement." He is not the doctor who did the first operation.
I am in good health now and anticipate many more years of life, but don't know if a hearing aid would be adequate if I feel the risks are too great and don't go for the operation.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
(female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User
Re: stapedectomy and age

I had a stapedectomy is my right ear in 1994 and my hearing was perfect after that. I never had a problem with hearing until 2010 when I lost the hearing in my operated ear. I was lucky enough to still have the opportunity to go back to my original doctor and he scheduled a revision for that ear so that would be surgery #2. After that surgery I did get more hearing back from what I had after I lost it but it wasn t enough to not wear my hearing aid as my left ear also had otoscerosis and had under 20% hearing. He felt it had popped out of place and scheduled for a 3rd in that ear to see if we could get more hearing back...yes there is the risk that you could lose it completely but I felt it was worth the risk. I went back a few months after and when I woke up after surgery what a difference..amplified sound in my head ...was painful to brush my teeth or my hair..but I was hearing out the packing in 4 days and when he took the packing out my hearing was amazing..and I did not need the hearing aid in my other ear. I was so happy with the results that I scheduled surgery for the left the following year and now I can say I am the proud owner of two working ears. Personally...I think you should get a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply