It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

cheribea HB User
pericardial cyst anyone?

Hi all
I am needing to hear from anyone else who has been diagnosed with a pericardial cyst. I have a large one 5.5X7.5 cm and it does cause me some discomfort. My doc says he doesn't see any NEED to remove it... but will if I want him to. I don't want to put myself through unnecesary surgery,, and am in a bit of a quandry. I would like to hear from others who have had a pericardial cyst and hear what they have and haven't done about them. Thanks,
CheriB

The Following User Says Thank You to cheribea For This Useful Post:
lindascrusades (03-31-2012)
Old 01-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
(female)

mintora HB User
Re: pericardial cyst anyone?

I have a 5x6 cm cyst also. I'm wondering what outcome you went with. Please let me know. I will write more once I hear back. Not sure if your still on this board

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
(female)

cheribea HB User
Thumbs up Re: pericardial cyst anyone?

Hi
There appears to be very little to worry about,,, a cyst is a cyst is a cyst,,, wether it is a cyst like a pimple on your face or wherever..... I did have mine thouroughly evaluated... a cat scan every few months and then every six months and then once a year and there was no change whatsoever. Its just a part of me and is of no concern. I am also told that some people are more "cysty" than others and just develop cysts here and there now and then. I hope yours is also simply a part of you, I read a lot about them and I understand most are. The "discomfort" that I thought mine was causing (and the reason they even ever found the thing) was actually caused by severe GERD which has been completely cured with a nissen fundo surgery. I am in the best health I have had in years,,,, so the good news is,things aren't always on a down hill slope toward the finish line! Best Wishes,
Cherib

Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
(female)

mintora HB User
Talking Re: pericardial cyst anyone?

I'm so glad your here!!! They found mine about three years ago. I had bronchitis and couldn't breathe. No problems until I had my second child. I have been in the ER five times in one year. I went to a cardiologist who insisted I was fine. He kept telling me I need "reassurance." I went for a second opinion and she told me I should have it removed immediately b/c they cause sudden death. Went back to my first cardiologist and he shook his head at me. I should mention a dear friend of mine is a cardiologist and I went to his partner. They both have told me to stay off the internet. I have had a cardiac mri and the heart looks great. I also had a calcium heart scan w/ a negative score. A few echos, too many EKGS, the list goes on and on. I go in every six months right now. A friend suggested GERD too. What symptoms did you have? I get this "electric shock" feeling and pressure. And a sore spot in the middle of my chest. Again, the mind is a powerful thing. Has your cyst grown at all? I can't thank you enough for replying to my email. I will remember...a cyst is a cyst...

Take care and thank you again!!!!!!

Christine

Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
(female)

cheribea HB User

Hello Christina
I would never want to take the responsibility of replacing the diagnosis of those who are educated in these things. All I have is my own experience and have posted that for what it is. What symptoms I had were asthma, pain pressure,,,, and of course we knew I had GERD because it WAS severe and I was practically sleeping standing up, , I couldn't lift anything I couldn't go in the pool ,,, every source of strain or pressure just increased the GERD type symptoms that were there continually to the point of unbearable. I was on meds for the gerd and they caused migraines and I was on med for the asthma (which I had never experienced before in my life) that were steroids and caused weight gain,,, it just seemed like one thing was causing another and another ... dominoey... I remember thinking that this was just the way it was, and when I finally saw a surgeon I trusted and went for it the surgery was like a miracle, and I no longer have GERD, migraines or asthma.
As far as sudden death goes,,,,,,, hmmmmm I think we are all candidates for that right? I have known people in my life who died suddenly and they didn't have a pericardial cyst.
I DO wish you all the best. Remember that doctors are just humans with degrees and opinions and that some of them DID graduate dead last, (which is more than I did) get lots of opinions and don't be afraid to make up your own mind and then take responsibility for that decision.
Personally I wouldn't recommend you stay off the internet I love information (input, input),,,, go ahead and read to your hearts delight, but then take it all with a grain of salt ,,, and sift it together with how you feel and what the doctors say,,,, and you will get the right recipe.
And might I recommend Mayo clinic if you are in the neighborhood
Cherib

p.s., no mine has not grown at all since they found it 8 years ago.

Last edited by cheribea; 01-14-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: forgot to respond to a portion

Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
(female)

alaskamom HB User

Hi
I had surgery in Nov for a Pericardial cyst.It was 6x4x2.i had the VATS procudure. I was having coronary artery spasms about 50 times a day. Since surgery I feel like I have my life back.My surgeon didn't think the surgery would help but my cardioligist(bless him) convinced him this was the right route. I am thankful everyday.
Keep pressing for what you feel is the right think for you,
Everybody and person are different.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
(female)

cheribea HB User
Thumbs up Re: pericardial cyst anyone?

Wow!
I have never heard from anyone who had one removed before. The doctors told me I had more chance of dying on the way TO the doctor in a car accident than I had of dying of this cyst,,,,,,,, but it sounds like you had some life threatening symptoms, very different.
I am so glad to hear that it all worked out for you. I was told to remove mine in the location it is at would require major open heart surgery. Was yours major open heart surg? They did make attempts to reach mine with a needle,,,, (through esophagus etc... ) to sample it, but were never able to. I do always wonder why if the thing was in there all of my life through MANY chest x-rays, no one ever saw it until I went in for this chest x-ray (because I had a persistant cough((from GERD we now know))).
Congratulations on your rebirth its truly wonderfull when that happens isn't it?!
Sincerely,
Cherib

Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
(female)

alaskamom HB User

Hi,
My surgery was called a VATS procudure. Video assisted thorothastic surgery. The main incision was right under my breast. The incision is around 1 1/2 inches long and then I have a few tiny puncture sites. I had a chest tube for 2 days . I had the surgery on Wed and came home Friday afternoon. My surgeon did NOT want to do the surgery. I had suffered for 9 months and my dr. and I thought this would help. It didn't bother me knowing it was inside of me. What bothered me was that it had doubled in size in 5 months and I was feeling worse each day. BP was increasing,short of breathe, chest pain was increasing frequence. Since surgery I had have a few twinges of chest pain but really feel 1000% better. I hope your doctor and you have a good relationship and you can tell him/her how you feel.Good luck.Janet

Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
(female)

cheribea HB User

I am so glad for you.
Fortunately my doc and I are in agreement.
It's NOT growing
It's NOT causing symptoms..
so we'll leave it alone.
Doc did say, radiology has become much more sensitive to these things over the years and old x-rays probably just didn't show it up.
Hope you continue in good health.
Don't freeze up there,,,, good golly its cold enough in Michigan, don't know how you bear alaska!
Best wishes.
Cheryl

Closed Thread