It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #1

kapheen5342 HB User
(urgent) Pressure in chest.....

Hi, I apologize for the urgency I requested in the topic, But I'm a severe hypochondriac, And I get paranoid very easily. I've falsely called the paramedics on a number of occasions and I always feel embarrassed afterwords.

I am 26 years old, Male. Any information or assistance of any kind that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what exactly this is but I've read that prior to a heart attack the victim may feel pressure in his/her chest.

For the past 1-2 weeks while laying in bed I've been feeling a pressure in my chest, It doesn't feel like its inside, But, Rather out side. I feel it while laying on my back and usually when I change positions it dissipates quickly if not instantly. It's about 3-4 inches above where my ribs meet in the very center of my chest. Maybe its muscle related?, I don't know.

I have not been short of breath or had any pains what so ever.

Anyways the reason I post this is because today I've had the pressure feeling today for the past hour or so. While being up and active. It feels like if I relax it goes away, Maybe its something to do with tension?, I've been overly stressed lately.

My current heart rate is 88bpm, Which is around average for me. I check my pulse regularly, I've always had a fear of heart attacks. I've had heart palpitations for about 3 years now, I got that checked out, My doctor said its a common problem. It's a thump in my chest and if i drink a lot of caffeine they happen more frequently.

Can someone tell me what kind of pressure relates to a heart attack. Also, where it is located and if I would more than likely have other symptoms along with it. One more thing, I've always thought that someone suffering from a heart attack will have a high bpm, Like 150+?. Is this true?.

Thanks in advance. And again, Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2004, 05:44 PM   #2
(female)

Gemi_Lee HB User
Re: (urgent) Pressure in chest.....

Hey kapheen'
I suffered a heart attack a few months ago I'm a 39 yr. old female I didn't have high blood pressure, but I did have slightly-high cholesterol 208 I wasn't taking anything to control it at the time.

I had symptoms for a week if I had known these were signs of a heart attack I would have went to the ER then, I just didn't think at my age it could happen......I was so very wrong!

The first thing that happen to me I had a burning sensation in the middle of my chest, but it would subside, then later I would feel better.
Seems like if I bend over to pick something up or rushed around to get things done that would trigger the burning....it was like my lungs were burning! there for a while I thought I was getting a chest cold when the cold didn't developed.......I thought it was indigestion.
Later in the week when the burning started in the middle of my chest & the pain would run down both my arms, I felt terrible, I had shortness of breath, slightly faint & a little weakness..........by the 7th day which was Sunday morning around 4am the burning sensation woke me up I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't the burning just kept getting worst & worst 2 hours later I was in the ER!

Since I was a woman the Dr. on call their treated me for indigestion an hour and half later I broke out in a sweat I was so hot I couldn't hardly stand it...... my body just went limp I didn't have the strength to lean forward for them to put the board behind me so they could take x-rays at this point I was having a heart attack.

I ended up with a stent in my heart.........My Cardiologist told me I was lucky to be alive the main artery running up the front/middle of my heart was 100% block by a blood clot he refers to the artery that was block as the 'widow maker' I do believe I had a guardian angel that day!
I hope I didn't bore you to much with my story!

Old 02-14-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

kaley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi_Lee
Hey kapheen'
I suffered a heart attack a few months ago I'm a 39 yr. old female I didn't have high blood pressure, but I did have slightly-high cholesterol 208 I wasn't taking anything to control it at the time.

I had symptoms for a week if I had known these were signs of a heart attack I would have went to the ER then, I just didn't think at my age it could happen......I was so very wrong!

The first thing that happen to me I had a burning sensation in the middle of my chest, but it would subside, then later I would feel better.
Seems like if I bend over to pick something up or rushed around to get things done that would trigger the burning....it was like my lungs were burning! there for a while I thought I was getting a chest cold when the cold didn't developed.......I thought it was indigestion.
Later in the week when the burning started in the middle of my chest & the pain would run down both my arms, I felt terrible, I had shortness of breath, slightly faint & a little weakness..........by the 7th day which was Sunday morning around 4am the burning sensation woke me up I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't the burning just kept getting worst & worst 2 hours later I was in the ER!

Since I was a woman the Dr. on call their treated me for indigestion an hour and half later I broke out in a sweat I was so hot I couldn't hardly stand it...... my body just went limp I didn't have the strength to lean forward for them to put the board behind me so they could take x-rays at this point I was having a heart attack.

I ended up with a stent in my heart.........My Cardiologist told me I was lucky to be alive the main artery running up the front/middle of my heart was 100% block by a blood clot he refers to the artery that was block as the 'widow maker' I do believe I had a guardian angel that day!
I hope I didn't bore you to much with my story!
Hey Gemi Lee,
Did the Dr. think that you had a pre-existing condition? Have you had chest pains in the past before that episode? I hope you do not mind me asking.....Just curious!
Thanks!
Kaley

Old 02-14-2004, 07:51 PM   #4

kapheen5342 HB User

Thanks for the replies. But, Does anyone have anything to say about the presure in my chest?, Does it sound like it may be a bad thing?.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
(female)

Gemi_Lee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaley
Hey Gemi Lee,
Did the Dr. think that you had a pre-existing condition? Have you had chest pains in the past before that episode? I hope you do not mind me asking.....Just curious!
Thanks!
Kaley
Hey there,
Nope, I don't mind you asking
No, nothing pre-existing, I just had slightly-high cholesterol....I never had any chest pains in the past before, but my dad past away a few years ago at the age of 62 with a massive heart attack so they think maybe it's in the genes!

Old 02-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
(female)

Gemi_Lee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapheen'
Thanks for the replies. But, Does anyone have anything to say about the presure in my chest?, Does it sound like it may be a bad thing?.
I don't know if your chest pressure is a bad thing or not.......I only have my experience to go by, maybe you should see a Cardiologist about your symptoms maybe they can help you.
Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2004, 06:22 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

kapheen,

The pressure of a heart attack WON'T go away if you change position. Nor will it likely persist for 2 weeeks without killing you.
A heart attack's pressure is often described as "crushing...like a vise grip."

I think you have either tension or chostochonditis (chest wall/rib inflammation). A tranquilizer should help the former. Aspirin and some gentle chest stretching, the latter.

Gemi Lee,
I think it's HORRIBLE that you described a classsic heart attack and even AFTER you made it to the ER (many don't) some NOODGE treated you for indigestion. All those ads advising "Get to the ER IMMEDIATELY" make me laugh (or cry!) if all you'll get there is MAALOX!

Last edited by zip2play; 02-15-2004 at 06:23 AM.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:39 AM   #8
(female)

Gemi_Lee HB User

Quote:
Gemi Lee,
I think it's HORRIBLE that you described a classsic heart attack and even AFTER you made it to the ER (many don't) some NOODGE treated you for indigestion. All those ads advising "Get to the ER IMMEDIATELY" make me laugh (or cry!) if all you'll get there is MAALOX!
Hey zip2play You are so right!
I personally think when someone goes to the ER with chest pain the Dr. should treat you for possible heart attack not indigestion!

Closed Thread