It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #1

jwilkerson HB User
Dilated Cardiomyopathy Caused By a Viral Infection

My sister just got diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy Caused By a Viral Infection and am just wondering how she will be effected. She is 27, and is going to start taking medication.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
(female)

housemum HB User
Re: Dilated Cardiomyopathy Caused By a Viral Infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkerson
My sister just got diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy Caused By a Viral Infection and am just wondering how she will be effected. She is 27, and is going to start taking medication.
I hope she is going to be alright. My son just died from a viral infection that attacked his heart. They didn't catch it in time. In went in Myocarditis, and he died in his sleep. He had a severe case and was only 19 years old.

Make sure your your sisters get good medical care. My son went to the Dr. just days before he died and was misdiagnosed as having pneumonia. I'm glad she is getting help in time. If she responds to the anti-inflamations drugs and anti-biotics she could funny recover, but from what I've read, it also could scar and damage the heart. Only her Dr. can tell her her prognosis. Depending on how severe the infection was.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

jwilkerson,

It's an EXTREMELY serious condition with a 5 year survival outlook of less than 30% (I hate to report this.)
Two IMPORTANT treatment considerations are clot inhibitors (which are the largest proximate cause of death) and rhythm control with appropriate drus (arryhthmias also a big killer). REST is very important because the heart must be put under minimal strain at all tiimes.
She'll need the best of care with the VERY BEST cardiologist you can both find!

Not sure if this link to the Merck Manual will work...it's good info!
[url]http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual_home2/sec03/ch026/ch026b.jsp[/url]

Old 02-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #4

Buzz HB User
Re: Dilated Cardiomyopathy

I have dilated cardiomyopathy and if they dont know what caused it they usually say it was caused by a virus. There is alot of different meds they can use I take about 9 different ones but that will depend on what workes for her and what she needs. The meds are not a cure but they will try for some improvement or to keep it from getting worse everyone is different. Dont worry about the statistics untill you give the drs a chance and it will take time to adjust the meds and see if its helping or not. Good luck

Old 03-19-2004, 11:09 AM   #5

carrob2003 HB User

Yes, I was also just diagnosed in early January......my EF was 25%. My FIRST MISTAKE was reading all of the negative statistics on the internet!

I asked my cardio dr about all of these report and findings and he said that most of these statistics are very "dated" and they usually describe the worse case scenerio. As long as she's seeing a good Cardiologist, specializing in heart failure....that's half the battle. And, since it's been caught, it CAN be treated with medications. I have another echo done in a month......but I feel wonderful!

My only drawback so far is that I can probably never have a child. But, know that she can live with this a long time......!!!!

Carla

Old 01-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
(female)

LisaUT HB User

I was diagnosed with l Cardiomyopathy April 2003. I was positve for CMV at the time, had given birth 4 months earlier, and was on Celebrex. It was a long battle, but I was finally released from a cardiologist this past July and ended my Celebrex at that time. He feels that may have been the cause for my heart failure. My EF was 36% when I was diagnosed. I still have my moment, running down the street to catch my escaping dog, however nothing like I was when I was still on Celebrex. My PCP said my cardiomyopathy was due to the CMV, my cardiologist said it was the meds... either way, I am feeling pretty good now and they dont feel I have any permanent damage. I can only hope the same for you all and your families.

Closed Thread