It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
(male)

marky HB User
low heart rate & beta blockers

Any one with a low heart rate like 53 bpm ever start on beta blockers & have ur heart rate go even lower . Im worried about taking beta blockers when my heart rate is already slow beta blockers supposedely slow rate down right ???????????

Old 02-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #2

wr6969 HB User
Re: low heart rate & beta blockers

marky, with a heart rate as low as yours, I wouldn't risk the chance of using beta blockers. All beta blockers as far as I'm aware slow the heart rate down. Why are being prescribed beta blockers in the first place? Is it to control some arrythmia of the heart? For hypertension? If it's the latter, there're more than enough alternatives out there for you to try which doesn't affect the heart rate.

Having said that, if your current heart rate doesn't give rise to any physical symptoms such as dizzyness, sleepiness/lethargy, etc. it could be worth to give beta blockers a try after getting your doctor's concurrence of course!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 05:37 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

marky,

I wouldn't go the beta-blocker route if i were you.
Diuretics are a better choice for you if you have hypertension!

Why are they considering them... angina or rhythm disturbances or something else???

Old 02-21-2004, 06:27 AM   #4
(male)

marky HB User

beta blockers were perscribed for pac pvc ive had every test there is ......

Old 02-21-2004, 07:36 AM   #5

wr6969 HB User

zip will tell you to try magnesium supplements first (sorry for stealing your thunder, zip ). I've got ectopic beats as well, and I've started on the supplements for a couple of weeks already; they seem to be helping.

In addition, another member here, Harry, will tell you to try out the Zone diet too which if I'm not mistaken, is a high protein diet. Do a search on these boards and you'll likely see Harry's post.

If these don't work, as zip says, it's better to try another drug that regulates heart rhythms which doesn't affect heart rate, considering yours is already so low to begin with (unless you're a supremely fit elite athlete )

Last edited by wr6969; 02-21-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky
Any one with a low heart rate like 53 bpm ever start on beta blockers & have ur heart rate go even lower . Im worried about taking beta blockers when my heart rate is already slow beta blockers supposedely slow rate down right ???????????
marky:

As long as you don't experience any negative associated effects (ED, dizziness) then you will most likely be alright. Of course if it doesn't help your pvcs, then I would certainly ask to come off them.

My resting HR can get as low as 48 bpm, not on a beta blocker. While on my beta blockers mine would range from 37 to 43 bpm. For the most part, I felt fine, even at 37 bpm. Sometimes you might experience a little fatigue from this, have you gotten that far in your treatment where you might have noticed that?

Nightime performance was another issue....

Closed Thread