It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
sivyaleah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: scotch plains, nj, USA
Posts: 199
sivyaleah HB User
Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

My 45 year old husband had a triple bypass 3 years ago and hasn't been the same since (heart disease runs in his family at young ages).

To make a long story short, he's been tested over and over and nothing has been found that is cardiac related, however, he suffers from nearly daily pains in the chest and arms, and other generalized body pains. He is considering going for another angiogram, as he has always had atypical symptoms and it was the only way anything every showed up for him. He's also been tested for various other things which could mimic cardiac symptoms and everything comes up negative.

He's beginning to wonder if he's just nuts (truthfully, tho, we both have not ruled out general anxiety over the whole event as playing a part in this).

We researched online and did find there are people who suffer from long-term pain due to the scar tissue of the incision but nothing definitive has been studied on this.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there continues to feel unwell after this type of surgery. I could understand an elderly person perhaps, but him being so young it is very frustrating for us on a daily basis to always have to wonder what his problem is.

Thanks.
Laurie

 
Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 AM   #2
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 2,902
zip2play HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

Laurie,

Remember they split him open and used something similar to a car jack to pry his ribs apart. I would find it miraculaoous if somebody didn't have residual pain even YEARS after the procedure. And of course, it's got to be on top of ones anxiety-provoking lists ala' "Oh God, please let me NEVER have to go through that again!"

The best you can both do is to keep on top of the condition with regular checkups and good "artery care."

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-04-2004, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
sivyaleah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: scotch plains, nj, USA
Posts: 199
sivyaleah HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Laurie,

Remember they split him open and used something similar to a car jack to pry his ribs apart. I would find it miraculaoous if somebody didn't have residual pain even YEARS after the procedure. And of course, it's got to be on top of ones anxiety-provoking lists ala' "Oh God, please let me NEVER have to go through that again!"

The best you can both do is to keep on top of the condition with regular checkups and good "artery care."
Exactly what we both say all the time. What is annoying is that most of the doctors sort of don't recognize that this might be a cause of the pain although his therapist (thankfully he does see someone) has suggested going to a pain management place to see if that helps.

He does stay ontop of his checkups and followups and sees a specialist on a montly basis for monitoring of his blood pressure. I'm sort of pushing him to have another angiogram to hopefully rule out that something might be going on with his heart again.

I'm sure anxiety is a large component of this. I can't imagine how anyone can go through that surgery and not live the rest of their life always wondering and waiting for something else to happen to them.

Thanks again for your support!

Laurie

 
Old 03-04-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Troy, MI , usa
Posts: 26
bogie HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

Well, I'm only 6 months after a quad bypass but............I have major problems. I had 2 of the grafts shut down due to the build up of scar tissue. I had the ECP therapy and I'm taking a med called Rapamune. They hope it stops the scar tissue from blocking the remaining grafts. Kidney patients use the same med. I try not to think about "when" it's gonna happen. I could go nutz thinking about it. I'm only 47 so I know what he feels. Surrond yourself with positive news(if possible) and learn to live for the day. My kidz help me to forget about my problems. You are the boss so tell them(Doc's) how you feel and GOOD LUCK!!
__________________
Please and Thanx, Bogie

 
Old 03-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
sivyaleah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: scotch plains, nj, USA
Posts: 199
sivyaleah HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie
Well, I'm only 6 months after a quad bypass but............I have major problems. I had 2 of the grafts shut down due to the build up of scar tissue. I had the ECP therapy and I'm taking a med called Rapamune. They hope it stops the scar tissue from blocking the remaining grafts. Kidney patients use the same med. I try not to think about "when" it's gonna happen. I could go nutz thinking about it. I'm only 47 so I know what he feels. Surrond yourself with positive news(if possible) and learn to live for the day. My kidz help me to forget about my problems. You are the boss so tell them(Doc's) how you feel and GOOD LUCK!!
Bogie, wow, that is sure something to be dealing with. I guess problems post-surgery are more common than my husband and I realized. It's so sad to hear about in such young people as well. Surly not a good way to live but at leat you've got your children to help you along!

Good luck to you as well!

 
Old 03-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Magnolia Springs Alabama
Posts: 52
lupines HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

I had a quad and new mitral valve last April.. and have had 7 stents since then, last 3 just a little over a month ago..I would suggest that he ask for a doppler in major arteries.. he may have cad.. Ive had stents in my subclavical and in my hip(had pain in hip for 12yrs, now gone).. do not ignore this pain as he may need more help..Lupines
__________________
May the wolf be free again

 
Old 03-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
sivyaleah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: scotch plains, nj, USA
Posts: 199
sivyaleah HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupines
I had a quad and new mitral valve last April.. and have had 7 stents since then, last 3 just a little over a month ago..I would suggest that he ask for a doppler in major arteries.. he may have cad.. Ive had stents in my subclavical and in my hip(had pain in hip for 12yrs, now gone).. do not ignore this pain as he may need more help..Lupines
My husband has 1 stent already from an angioplasty a couple of years prior to the triple bypass. Also, coincidently, his therapist (who I see occassionally as well for support) suggested a doppler yesterday, something I was unfamiliar with. Would you please explain that and what CAD is to me, I'm unfamiliar with that term as well.

Thanks!

Laurie

 
Old 03-04-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Magnolia Springs Alabama
Posts: 52
lupines HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

coronary artery disease, blocked arteries can be almost anywhere I think( not sure)all I can tell you is the more theyve gone in the more they have found, on my original by-pass, 3 of the arteries from my legs had blockages further up, they didnt know..I was having unstable angina up to 3 mnths after by-pass..they had to go back in..they do their best, but sometimes ..things happen, he needs a doppler(same as for pregnancy,non-invasive) and even perhaps a nuclear stress test, to pinpoint what is happening.If I hadnt nagged my drs after by-pass..I wouldnt be typing this now.Hope this helps you,Lupines
__________________
May the wolf be free again

 
Old 03-04-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
sivyaleah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: scotch plains, nj, USA
Posts: 199
sivyaleah HB User
Re: Problems 3 Years After Triple Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupines
coronary artery disease, blocked arteries can be almost anywhere I think( not sure)all I can tell you is the more theyve gone in the more they have found, on my original by-pass, 3 of the arteries from my legs had blockages further up, they didnt know..I was having unstable angina up to 3 mnths after by-pass..they had to go back in..they do their best, but sometimes ..things happen, he needs a doppler(same as for pregnancy,non-invasive) and even perhaps a nuclear stress test, to pinpoint what is happening.If I hadnt nagged my drs after by-pass..I wouldnt be typing this now.Hope this helps you,Lupines

Thanks again. He has had a nuclear stress test recently. And yes, already has CAD (he never had a heart attack - it was all blocked arteries). The nuclear never showed the problem the first time - it was only during the angiogram that they discovered the extent of his problem. Hence the reason I'm steering him back into that at the moment. However, we never thought about arteries in the legs as being possibly something to check, so I'll mention it to him.

Laurie

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
BYPASS PROBLEMS, Please Help AussieCowboy Heart Disorders 13 06-26-2007 05:45 PM
Triple Bypass One Year Ago Cher2005 Heart Disorders 2 05-11-2006 08:59 AM
after a triple bypass joe_blo Heart Disorders 5 02-16-2006 12:21 PM
fluid buildup around left lung 3+ months after triple bypass gassone Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD 2 01-29-2006 06:05 PM
Still lung issues one year after triple bypass Leeby Heart Disorders 1 12-02-2005 08:53 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Machaon (78), Vyking (50), sjb (25), JJ (22), ladybud (18), started04 (15), rosier (9), Beefsteak (8), cvcman (8), Bob652 (6)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1009), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (760), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!