It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 06:31 AM   #1

cgcamille HB User
Question Heart Flutters at night

Help! I am a 37 year old female who has been experiencing heart flutters but only at night. They wake me up from my sleep at least 3 times a night and after about 10 seconds they go away. My doctor performed a stress test and Holter monitor and Echo test and diagnosed me with Mitral Valve Prolapse. He gave me Nadolol which I have been taking before bed for the past month but it is not helping at all. The anxiety is about to drive me crazy. My doctor says Mitral Valve Prolapse is nothing to worry about but I know that this fluttering every night is not normal. Anybody out there experiencing heart flutters at night? I am beginning to feel like a hypochondriac because none of my friends/family has the slightest clue what I am talking about and the doctor doesn't seem to be overly concerned.Why would these flutters only occur at night when I am resting? And is fluttering the same as palpitations? HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 09:58 AM   #2

Keri76 HB User
Re: Heart Flutters at night

Hey... i get the heart flutters as well. I have them pretty much anytime of the day but i have noticed at night when i'm in my bed they can be worst. The weird thing about it is this....I've noticed if im laying flat in my bed i will have alot of them but if i prop myself up with some pillows and sleep that way I won't have any! It's not the funniest way to sleep but if your anything like me whatever you have to do you'll do. My doctor thought i had the same thing you do but the test came back normal. I was kinda hoping I had it in a way just so i would no what was causing mine. Well anyway I would try it, it does work for me. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #3

cgcamille HB User
Smile Re: Heart Flutters at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri76
Hey... i get the heart flutters as well. I have them pretty much anytime of the day but i have noticed at night when i'm in my bed they can be worst. The weird thing about it is this....I've noticed if im laying flat in my bed i will have alot of them but if i prop myself up with some pillows and sleep that way I won't have any! It's not the funniest way to sleep but if your anything like me whatever you have to do you'll do. My doctor thought i had the same thing you do but the test came back normal. I was kinda hoping I had it in a way just so i would no what was causing mine. Well anyway I would try it, it does work for me. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to try sleeping on a couple of pillows tonight. I have also been reading through here about magnesium supplements so I am going to get some today. Can't hurt to try it. I just can't figure out why they only happen at night.... Thanks again

Old 03-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #4

Keri76 HB User

Do they just start happening at night or do they start when your in your bed already? I started taking the magnesium about 2 weeks ago and I've still been getting them but i did notice they are better. I seem to get them when it's getting ready to be that time of the month. let me know if that works for you (the pillows) I'm telling you it does for me, GOOD LUCK

Old 03-14-2004, 02:30 PM   #5

cgcamille HB User

Quote:
Do they just start happening at night or do they start when your in your bed already? I started taking the magnesium about 2 weeks ago and I've still been getting them but i did notice they are better. I seem to get them when it's getting ready to be that time of the month. let me know if that works for you (the pillows) I'm telling you it does for me, GOOD LUCK
Mine start after I have been sleep for about 4 hours. They wake me up, and they feel kind of like butterflies in my chest. Just a fluttering feeling for about 10 seconds. How much magnesium do you take? Have you noticed any side effects from the magnesium? Do you take it with food? What does Magnesium do for the body? I think I will look up some information on magnesium because maybe it helps regulate heart rates or something....

Old 03-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #6

bluearmyklt HB User

Hello, I was getting them at work - I am only 24 - not too often but enough to worry me. I went to the doctor and they did a heart monitor thing on me and said I was ok. I sometimes get these at night and its normally when I have just fallen asleep. About 20 minutes after falling asleep I wake up with my heart pounding and the feeling like I am gonna go dizzy and my heart flutters. Its very odd and feels very uncomfortable - I would appreciate anyones comments too?

Old 03-14-2004, 06:44 PM   #7

Keri76 HB User

I take one tablet a day that contains 250 mg. i heard the chelated magnesium works better then the just regular kind. you can get it at the health food store. Your body is suppose to be able to absord the chelated mag. better. I wish there was some way to get rid of them. I seem to get them too sometimes if i get real nervous all of a sudden, does anybody else get them then too? Like this lady almost ran me off the road today and my heart started skipping beats, did it like 4 times, scared me to death.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:12 AM   #8

cgcamille HB User

Quote:
I take one tablet a day that contains 250 mg. i heard the chelated magnesium works better then the just regular kind. you can get it at the health food store. Your body is suppose to be able to absord the chelated mag. better. I wish there was some way to get rid of them. I seem to get them too sometimes if i get real nervous all of a sudden, does anybody else get them then too? Like this lady almost ran me off the road today and my heart started skipping beats, did it like 4 times, scared me to death.
I went to the cardiologist on Monday to tell him that these flutters at night are getting on my nerves, and basically he just told me to eliminate caffiene, chocolate, colas, and tea. He also increased my Nadolol to 40 mg. and told me he would see me in 6 months. He said the flutters are coming at night because believe it or not that's when my adrenaline is flowing which I really don't understand cause I always associated adrenaline with physical activity... Anyway, I guess I will just take my medicine and try not to focus on this too much. He said he really didn't think that magnesium would help but that if I wanted to I could give it a try... I LUV chocolate and I always eat a handful of Raisinets while watching tv before bed so I will eliminate this and see if it helps.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:25 PM   #9

wr6969 HB User

Believe it or not, but chocolate does contain some elements of caffeine so this could be the relationship you're looking for. Some of us can suddenly become very sensitive to caffeine (I used to drink tea/coffee regularly, on average 3 cups a day, until one day even one cup will have me in shivers about half an hour after consuming it!) which can cause all sorts of conditions, ranging from trembling, shaking, heart palpitations, etc.

One other thing is that when I last had my panic attack and went to the ER, the doctor there said that it's strange when he discovered that more people have panic attacks after the magical 12 o'clock midnight hour, and he wasn't surprised that I had them (I went at 3 am). Strange because so late at night, you'd expect both your body and mind to be winding down after a long hard day and the last thing you'd expect is one over-active mind thinking all sorts of havoc! If you do a search on these boards, you'll find that many people complain of these anxiety/panic attacks in the wee hours of the morning when we should all be sound asleep - thus proving to a certain extent, the claim made above (?)...

Old 03-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #10

Philkutz HB User
Smile Re: Heart Flutters at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcamille
Help! I am a 37 year old female who has been experiencing heart flutters but only at night. They wake me up from my sleep at least 3 times a night and after about 10 seconds they go away. My doctor performed a stress test and Holter monitor and Echo test and diagnosed me with Mitral Valve Prolapse. He gave me Nadolol which I have been taking before bed for the past month but it is not helping at all. The anxiety is about to drive me crazy. My doctor says Mitral Valve Prolapse is nothing to worry about but I know that this fluttering every night is not normal. Anybody out there experiencing heart flutters at night? I am beginning to feel like a hypochondriac because none of my friends/family has the slightest clue what I am talking about and the doctor doesn't seem to be overly concerned.Why would these flutters only occur at night when I am resting? And is fluttering the same as palpitations? HELP!
Hi, I'm a 37 year old male and also have this fluttering thing. I'm in pretty good shape, work out about 4-5 times a week and pretty much watch what I eat. I have a family history of heart disease - my dad had a heart attack at 50 and again at 57. He is doing well after his triple bypass. So needless to say this family history thing has me concerned as well. I went to the Drs and had an EKG and all looked fine. The Dr. told me to watch all the things like caffeine, stress, smoking and alcohol. I'm not really a smoker, just a cigar or 2 a week, and I drink on weekends - usually one night when my wife and I go out. I read today that also a big meal can trigger this. Just so happens, I had a big meal last night, then some ice tea and went to bed about an hour and half later. I forget what time it woke me up, but it did. Fluttering and lasted about 10 seconds. I made another appt with the Drs to have them check it out again to be safe. Have you discovered anything else about this fluttering? Hope we figure this out soon!

Old 03-22-2004, 04:01 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcamille
I went to the cardiologist on Monday to tell him that these flutters at night are getting on my nerves, and basically he just told me to eliminate caffiene, chocolate, colas, and tea.
Yep. I was going to suggest laying off caffeine products to see if that helped. For years I would drink 1 cup of coffee per day on days that I worked day shift, and found that one day I started to have this "butterfly" feeling in the center of my chest. It only lasted a few seconds and then it was gone.

I was off work for a period of time due to illness and vacation, and didn't have any coffee over that time. When I went back to work and had a cup of coffee, I got that fluttery feeling later. After putting 2 and 2 together, I realized it was the caffeine. I've since given up on coffee, but still drink diet coke, and eat chocolate, and the flutters are gone.

You might be even more sensitive to caffeine and might have to give up all caffeine products. See what happens.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #12
Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi, I just posted a question about my heart palpitations, and I thought I would respond here also. I have been having these things that you describe for years now. I noticed on the first post, you said you were a 37-year old female. I started getting mine a little over ten years ago, about when I was 31, and really noticed the hormone connection. I think they started when I started going through an early menopause, but the thing is, you can get these symptoms years before starting menopause, or early menopause. I know there is a connection, because I thought I was done with my periods one summer, and the palpitations got really, really bad right before that, and then when my periods stopped, so did the palpitations. I thought I was done with them for almost a year, and then, out of the blue, they started up again, and sure enough, a little while later, I had another period. Now, I think I'm just going through a very slow, early menopause, but you don't have to have early menopause to have these heart palpitations in your thirties, it's really common to start these symptoms many years before menopause starts. Also, I do have anxiety problems, so that kind of dosen't help, sometimes I don't know if the palpitations causes the anxiety or the other way around. I still on occasion don't like to drive too far from the house, so these things can really restrict your life. Well, good luck to all of you!! I am hoping that I will get some relief from vitamins, I haven't really tried that yet. I know that 'Sleepytime Tea' helps at night, definitely the one with no caffeine!! Good luck, Val

Closed Thread