It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 10:39 AM   #1

lovies10323 HB User
Question Heart races after eating

I was hoping by going through all of the threads here, that I could find an answer to my question, but to no avail... Does anyone know why my heart races after I eat?!?!? It used to be every so often, now it's just about everytime. I quit smoking three years ago, and gained 50 pounds. I have never been overweight before in my life. I sit at a desk all day, and don't excersize regularly. I am 5'4 and 175-180. I just wanted to know if I should make an appointment to see the Dr.....Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-22-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
(female)

chill200 HB User
Re: Heart races after eating

I think it's common for the heartrate to accelerate after a meal because it's working harder to process the food intake. I dont think it's normal for it to speed up past 100bpm tho. Do you have any other symptoms? It wouldn't hurt to check things out with your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 12:35 PM   #3

lovies10323 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill200
I think it's common for the heartrate to accelerate after a meal because it's working harder to process the food intake. I dont think it's normal for it to speed up past 100bpm tho. Do you have any other symptoms? It wouldn't hurt to check things out with your doctor.
It speeds up really fast! as if I have just ran up a bunch of stairs!! I don't have any other symptoms.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

chill200 HB User

How long have you been noticing it? Did it just start? Or has it been going on for days? Months? etc. Do you have high blood pressure too?

If your BP is up and this has been going on for awhile, then I dont think it would hurt to make an appt with your doc.....just to be on the safe side. You're probably fine, but it'll put your mind at ease.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:51 PM   #5

lovies10323 HB User

Quote:
How long have you been noticing it? Did it just start? Or has it been going on for days? Months? etc. Do you have high blood pressure too?

If your BP is up and this has been going on for awhile, then I dont think it would hurt to make an appt with your doc.....just to be on the safe side. You're probably fine, but it'll put your mind at ease.
I've had it for a long time.....however, just recently it has been every time after I eat, maybe about three weeks..I don't know if I have high blood pressure, I have had my blood pressure be high before, but I was never diagnoised with it. I think I will make an appointment

Old 03-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

Hi there, I dont know the answer to your problem but I can tell you I get the same thing. About 20-30 min. after eating My heart rate is up around 100-120. I dont get it all the time though, Only when I eat some foods like McDonalds or after a burger and fries. Whats in that stuff they cook fries in? MSG? I dont know what it is called but I think I am just sensitive to it. For the past week I have been trying to eat balanced healthy meals and it has helped. I did a google search last month because this was driving me crazy and I found some people that have the same problem. One lady also couldnt eat McDonalds. Well I dont know if this helps you at all but If it continues you should definately ask a doctor.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #7

leviathan85 HB User

Quote:
Actually, I think it's quite the opposite. Digestion requires parasympathetic activity, which actually slows the heartrate down.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:45 AM   #8
(female)

chill200 HB User

I think a lot of this (heart racing after certain meals) could be related to food allergies. That's one of the allergic symptoms of food allergies. Look up as much as you can about food allergies, and you may get some answers.

good luck,

Old 03-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovies10323
I was hoping by going through all of the threads here, that I could find an answer to my question, but to no avail... Does anyone know why my heart races after I eat?!?!? It used to be every so often, now it's just about everytime. I quit smoking three years ago, and gained 50 pounds. I have never been overweight before in my life. I sit at a desk all day, and don't excersize regularly. I am 5'4 and 175-180. I just wanted to know if I should make an appointment to see the Dr.....Thanks in advance!!!
Hi

This happens to me every time I have a meal that is high in salt. If you are eating salty foods, try a meal with no salt added, or anything salty, and then see what happens.

Char

Old 04-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #10

ev1068 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovies10323

Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM   #11

ev1068 HB User

Hello,
I just wanted to tell you to see a Dr. Yesterday the same thing happened to my brother he was eating and his heart rate went from 72 to 180 in 1 second..
Today he was told he had Wolfe Parkinson White (wpws).. It has to do with the electrical part of your heart.... There are great references on this in the
internet.. He is still in the hospital but will be having surgery to cure it and until then there is medication to help slow it down... Please see a Dr.. Good Luck Ev

Old 05-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #12

Dilligas HB User

I've noticed an increased heart rate / more pvc's after eating foods high in simple carbs. Someone mentioned McD's - and that is exactly the type of stuff that does it for me. I've tested this theory by eating a spoonful of sugar and, within a few minutes, pvc's galore and a higher rate.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 05-18-2004, 10:45 PM   #13

stixx HB User

I tend to get PVC's shortly after eating. Anywhere from right way to 45 minutes afterwards. Id love to know why and waht casues this. Ive gone back to the GI doctors. They put me back on Protonix, scheduled me for an upper GI XRAY and a possible Scope if anythingis found

Dont know if digestion has anything to do with this but the GI doctor did say its theoritical that as the stomach churns it could be hitting the Diaphram, which could in turn irritate the heart

He also said hed never heard of an actual case of this but he suppossed it could be possible

The one thing that i find helps me sometimes are pretzels. Not sure if this has to do with salt or just the bread/wheat that gets mashed to a paste as i eat. but it seems to help

im just as confused and searching for answers like a lot of people here....

Closed Thread