It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Inactive

ralve HB User
Heart Palpitations with shortness of breath

Hi all,
I haven't posted on here in a while, it seems I never have the time lately, I hope you are all doing well. I have had heart palpitations for years now (PAC's and PVC's), but lately they even seem to bother me more, because I get like a shortness of breath feeling with them. It's sort of only a momentary thing, like I will feel kind of a breathless feeling, like the breath is being taken from me, and then get a PVC. I have the PVC's all day long, ususally averaging about one every 15 beats or so, sometimes much more. I have had many tests, the most recent being the nuclear treadmill test, where they see the image of your heart before and after exercise. The doctors seem to think they are mostly benign. I have lots of anxiety right now because I'm taking care of my kids by myself, since my husband got a new job in another state, and we are living far apart for the time being, anyway, do you guys think these things can be stress related? I hate this feeling, it's like I am always trying to take a deep breath, and can't get satisfied from it. Anyway, thanks for any help!! Val

Old 03-27-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Heart Palpitations with shortness of breath

You are almost 100% completely healthy. If you start having shortness of breath which is:

worse when lying down
worse with exertion
waking up at night short of breath

Then I would start to worry. PVCs and PACs are totally benign, and honestly, the reason you're having so much trouble with them is because you are most likely hypervigilant. Your mind is overly attuned to paying attention to every little beat of your heart. Many people have palpitations, but they don't notice them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
(male)

erikn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflytrans
You are almost 100% completely healthy. If you start having shortness of breath which is:

worse when lying down
worse with exertion
waking up at night short of breath

Then I would start to worry. PVCs and PACs are totally benign, and honestly, the reason you're having so much trouble with them is because you are most likely hypervigilant. Your mind is overly attuned to paying attention to every little beat of your heart. Many people have palpitations, but they don't notice them.

just a question: what are PVCs and PACs ??

Old 03-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikn
just a question: what are PVCs and PACs ??
PVC = Premature ventricular contraction
PAC = Premature atrial contraction

They're heart beats that come too early, and if sensitive to this, the feeling can give people some people distress.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #5

lisadp HB User

Hi
I also have skipped heart beats or palpitations, I have had them since I was 25 probably alot longer, they have become worse as i get older, sometimes 3 to 6 missed beats per minute, last anywhere from an hour to 3 hours or sometimes all day, they dont give me any trouble, I have no other symptoms and can function normally, when I go for walks or excersice they tend to go away and come back when I am at rest, its during this time that they freak me out, and the more I freak out the worse they get, they make my stomach feel queasy like going over a small bump in the road on a car ride. I have noticed that breathign has alot to do with it, if I hold my breath then take a breath they get worse, I hold my breath because i get scared, hence its a bit of a catch 22 situation, I have had a baby in the last two years, the Dr told me it was nothing to worry about, all my blood tests where normal and i gave birth without a hitch, the palpitations where worse after birth but the nurses that checked my pulse never had a concern. I think alot of it has to do with nerves, we all get palpitations to some degree, but when you focus on them and start to worry it makes it worse, its an adrenelin rush and more blood pumps through the heart when we are worried. Anyway I havent had an ekg but plenty of dr's have listened to my heart so to all those out there that have palp's dont worry or if you are really worried get it checked so you can at least be reassurred you are healthy. I can actually control mine just by calming myself down!!

Old 04-13-2004, 01:00 PM   #6

darcijake HB User

Valgar, are you having any other symptoms other than heart papitations, like dizziness or lightheadedness, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, or lack of endurance during exercise, headache, poor concentration and cognitive ability, desire to chew on ice, irritability, paleness, heart palpitations or rapid heart beat, intolerance to cold, loss of appetite, and/or reduced immunity?

Old 04-13-2004, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

again i have to raise my hand to this. please please let me know where you are going with this...i have all but the ice thing. i would say that my biggest complaint is the fatigue i have constantly. i feel like i have not slept in weeks but when i try to take a nap i cant. it is like i am stuck in that place between sleep and awake.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #8

darcijake HB User

Have you been checked for iron deficiency (anemia). Anemia is very common in women and it has all the symtoms mention below. You may want to make an appointment with you MD to get it checked out. Symptoms of anemia
Iron deficiency is one of the most common deficiencies in the world. Although anemia can be caused by other deficiencies including folic acid, B12, B6 or copper, iron deficiency anemia is the most common type of anemia. Anemic people may not show any symptoms at first, then start to develop symptoms over time, including: dizziness or lightheadedness, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, or lack of endurance during exercise, headache, poor concentration and cognitive ability, desire to chew on ice, irritability, paleness, heart palpitations or rapid heart beat, intolerance to cold, loss of appetite, and/or reduced immunity and in some women decrease in libido. Hope this help....Let me know how you are doing. :-) You may want to read more about anemia, here's a website, but there are many more under "symptoms of anemia" [url]http://yourmedicalsource.com/library/anemia/ANM_symptoms.html[/url]

Old 04-22-2004, 01:19 AM   #9

Jenad HB User

Thank you for accepting me as a member.
I really don't know if this is a problem, I sometimes feel out of breath. For sometimes now i have pain in my left side upper back shoulder and at times in my left arm is painfull at time it feel numb. I am thinking that perhaps it is gaz because after stroking my stomach, i burp and the pain subside but then it come back.
I also feel like throwing up each time i brush i teeth. I
s there anything to feel worry about, plse advise.

Closed Thread