It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 06:34 AM   #1

ivnslady HB User
heart doing flipflops

Hi, I really hope someone can answer my questions about this because it's starting to drive me crazy. My heart seems to do flipflops off and on through the day. Somedays I will have a day where it doesn't happen at all. This has been going on since the first week of Janurary. My father in law passed away from a heart attack and the very next day these flipflops started on me. My husband thinks it is from anxiety and I went to my doctor who said it was anxiety as well. She put me on Paxil to try for a week and it didn't help at all. I went back to her and she said maybe it was my blood pressure pills that I have been taking since November, but I had already thought about that and had went a week without taking them and the flipflops still went on. So far I haven't had any chest pain, just the flipflops and sometimes a flutter in my chest. I am overweight, but have lost 30 pounds already by cutting out all sugar and starches. I don't drink any caffiene. I don't think it is anxiety causing this because it happens when I am resting, like watching tv, and also usually when I bend over to pick something up. Another thing that started about the same time is this feeling like there is a couple of fingers pressing into the base of my throat. I'm not having shortness of breath, unless I sit there and let myself think about it too much. I have made a doctor appt. with a new doctor for this Wednesday. Do any of the tests she may want to do hurt? Thank you for reading this, and I'm sorry it is so long. By the way I am 34 and female if this makes any difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Re: heart doing flipflops

skipped beats, flip flops, flutters, all very normal for most people with. Many many people have them, but of course you always need to get checked out first.
The first test she will likely do will be an EKG- In simple terms, they merely stick a bunch of wires on your chest and it doesn't hurt at all.(except when you pull those sticky things off.
The rest of the tests if any are ordered, will probably have to be scheduled for a later date. An echocardiogram is an ultrasound of your heart-it doesn't hurt.
I don't know if they would do any more than that. Some tests are more intrusive but I can't comment as I have never had them.

It is very possibly anxiety with them starting the day after your father-in-law died, but if you don't feel comfortable with that then you need to press for more tests.
As far as the finger at the base of the throat thing, I have that almost 24 hrs a day. At first they thought it was anxiety(yrs ago), then they thought it was thyroid, now they just don't know. Some people feel flutters in there throat when their heart flutters/skips beat etc so that could be the feeling you are experiencing. I am interested in learning about your throat thing, so let me know if you find anything out-it is so annoying.

Hope this helps some.

Abby

Old 04-19-2004, 02:24 PM   #3

darcijake HB User

I have had both anxiety/panic attacks (mostly racing heart beats) and I have also had anemia (low iron deficiency) which both causes irregular heat beats. Stress does do alot to your body, which really is your mind playing games with your body. The more you dewell on your symptoms the worse they get. Anxiety attacks can be pretty scary and can make you feel like you're going to die right there on that very spot your standing or sitting on. These attacks can come out of the blue, I mean from no where, very unexpected.... Your doctor will probably due an EKG which montors your heart's electrical rythum pattern and takes only a few seconds to do. He will probably have some blood work done. Blood test tell doctors so much... Anyway, I started having forceful heart beats a few months ago and went to my MD. He did a EKG, which came back normal and then preformed several blood test. One which came back resulting in anemia. Iron deficiency is one of the most common deficiencies in the world. Although anemia can be caused by other deficiencies including folic acid, B12, B6 or copper, iron deficiency anemia is the most common type of anemia. Anemic people may not show any symptoms at first, then start to develop symptoms over time, including: dizziness or lightheadedness, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, or lack of endurance during exercise, headache, poor concentration and cognitive ability, desire to chew on ice, irritability, paleness, heart palpitations or rapid heart beat, intolerance to cold, loss of appetite, and/or reduced immunity. So, anyway... what I'm trying to say is that your doctor will figure out what is physically wrong with you, if there's not anything wrong, then you'll know it's all in your mind.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

kaley HB User

Ivnslady,
I feel like this everyday....I never thought how to put into words that feeling by my throat...that is exactly how it feels. I know that it is all stress...the more tension the more symptoms....Your muscles are tight giving you that sensation...I also feel like I have something in my throat all the time....also have heart flutters all the time...It is a ***** and I am tired of feeling like this. I am 31 and constantly thinking that I have a heart issue. I smoke so I know that makes it worse....Please keep in touch as it feels better to know that I am not alone! Kaley

Old 04-22-2004, 06:57 AM   #5

worryworttx HB User

kaley,
I feel for you...i have the flip flops and fluttering a lot lately and it drives me crazy. But, I have just re assured my self that everything is o.k., and trying not to let things stress me so badely. Make time for yourself. Try not to stress about everything. I would love to keep in touch and talk to you...
Bec

Old 04-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #6

ivnslady HB User

Hi, I went to the new Dr. yesterday and she seems to think I have pvc's. She also said I have some tachycardia. I had to have blood taken for a thyroid test because of the feelings in my throat. She felt of my neck and had me swallow and said she didn't feel my thyroid "jump up" like it should if it is enlarged. She put me on 50mgs. of atenolol and is suppose to let me know when the thyroid test comes back. She wanted to have me wear a halter monitor for 24 hours until she found out I don't have insurance right now. It costs $1100 for the test. She said we would try the atenolol first. I wonder if part of my trouble could be anxiety too because I was really nervous at the Dr. office yesterday and my heart was flipping over and over. I tried to calm myself down, but it kept up until I met the new dr. and saw that she was really nice. She said the pvc's are harmless unless they come three or more in a row. Well they were doing that just before I saw her. I'm still really worried, and scared to be on this beta blocker. I'd like to keep in touch with you guys too. I know it sounds awful, but it's nice in a way to know I'm not the only one with these flip flops and throat thingie!!!

Old 04-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #7

lisadp HB User

Hi
My heart has been doing so called flip flops for years. ever since I was 25 I am 41 now, I have learnt not to pay them too much attention as everyone keeps telling me they arent serious including the Doctors!! I find when I am stressed they are far worse so I usually put on some relaxtion music or watch a good movie! sometime they do it all day long, other days very little, but generally they happen every day!! I only get one flip flop at a time never three in a row, I think that would freak me out more!! anyway the best medicine is just to relax and find things that take your mind off it! Ive estimated that on a bad day I get around 4000 but when you look at it thats not much when your heart beats around 115,000 beats a day .....key word RELAX!!

Old 04-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #8

worryworttx HB User

That is good news...I too have the flip flops and flutter in my throat. I am glad that there are others out there as well. I actually wore an event monitor last year and NEVER felt the pvcs before and then saw my report and stated that I them alot. But never felt them until March of this year.
They do bother me, but (and this is hard for me) I am trying to be a positive thinker instead of the negative thinker that I have been.

Hang in there and anytime that you want to talk just let me know.
Becky

Old 04-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
(female)

eltwins HB User

Hi
I also have this flip flops. I have had 3 ECG's and only the last one caught any. What is actually happening is, you have an extra beat, which is called an ectopic beat, which you do not feel. Then you feel the beat where it catches up to normal. AT my worst, I get them about every 20 beats, sometimes with a couple in a row. I have also had an ultrasound of the heart and chest x-ray and tons of blood tests, all fine. I have been told just to ignore them and get on with my life. Although I am having a 7 day monitor at the end of May.
I don't know if it is connected, but I also feel nauseous ALOT. Could be anxiety, because despite telling you to ignore them, it is very hard, when all these things are happening in your chest! I symapthize with anyone who suffers with them.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #10

Keri76 HB User

Hey everybody! I'm 27 years old and I've had the flip flops, extra beats, ect.. sence I was 19. My storey is pretty much like everybody else's, been to the heart doctor, hospitals many times and always hear the same thing "don't worry about them"! Anybody that has these things knows thats almost impossible. I use to get them pretty much throughout the day off and on but for the past 3 years or so I only have one or two every blue moon. It seems like when I get them it's that time of the month, something to do with hormones for sure. As soon as I got on birth control pills they got 95% better, went from everyday to once a month. I don't take any meds for them, my cardio told me a few years ago he could put me on something for them but the meds could cause even more problems so I havent taken anything for them. Well I wish they would find a cure for these things cause I hate them, Good luck everyone.

Old 04-27-2004, 12:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Hi! I just posted a new thread on this post called "heart flutters". I should have read this one first and then responded. Oh, well. Anyway, most of the posters here are just like me. I'm 47 , have had these most of my adult life. they come and go, no pain, dizzziness, or shortness of breath. I have been to two different cardiologists. One when I was 27 and again at 42 years old. They ran the same tests, and I wore a halter monitor for a few days. It showed nothing. Yesterday was the first time in years that I have been really bothered by it. It seemed to flutter every few seconds! It was really annoying!! I came home and drank a lot of water, which I remembered I had not really had any all day. Maybe I was dehydrated and then I ate a banana. They have postassium and are good for the heart. I also took a magnesium tablet. I have heard that is good for heart flutters! Well,today I really haven't noticed it at all. The down side is I have just started an exercise program at my local gym and I have been training to walk/jog to lose weight. I usually get my heart rate up to about 150 to 160 when I do this and now I am kind of paranoid about it afraid it will start up again. Has anyone with heart "flip flops" notice that it increases with vigorous exercise??
I hope not, I felt great when I was exercising! Thanks for your input.
Cindy

Old 04-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

I too have been having palpitations for years. They just started out of the blue one day when I was 27, and I've had them off and on since then. Doctors have found nothing wrong, and tell me not to worry. NOT TO WORRY?!! It drives me CRAZY when they get really bad. I was awake almost all night last night, listening to my heart beating and counting the number of beats between palps. Today isn't much better. They started up really bad last night after I ate dinner, which I've noticed seems to happen a lot--somehow they seem to sometimes be related to the digestive process (I've heard other people say this too). I think I'm going to lose my mind if it doesn't stop soon!! I'm wondering if I should run see the doctor, but he'll probably tell me "not to worry". Geez, this is the pits.

Howitt44, I don't think exercise causes them to start up, it never has for me anyway. If you feel fine while exercising, it should actually be good, as long as you don't get too strenuous with it.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I notice there is a direct link with this and eating. Pay attention to what you eat and when. Its bad when I eat Chinese food. Maybe MSG??

Old 04-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

This is so strange. After reading your post about eating bananas, I went and made a smoothie with a large banana, apple juice and other ingredients. My stomach immediately felt better (it had been full of acid since dinner last night) and my palpitations have almost completely stopped (for now anyway, ~keeping fingers crossed~).

What I ate last night was some very spicy and garlicy (?) salsa, and my stomach started churning and the palpitations started. I think garlic can be upsetting, as well as tomatoes because of the acid.

WOW, do you think we're onto something here??

Old 04-27-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
(female)

worrygirl HB User

Worryworttx:

It is true as everyone has said, anxiety can do the most crazy things to your body. I know you don't feel stressed, however, you could very well be stressed out and never even feel it. Most people think just because they are not having a nervous breakdown that they can handle stress, but stress and anxiety can do crazy things to us. I to have suffered from panic/anxiety attacks in the past, which can bring on anxiety all the time. Thus the early beats, skipped beats, whatever you would like to call them, they start. A good cardiologist will runs some test to reassure you that it is just anxiety. I had a stress echo and an echocardiagram with color flow, and holter monitor. An event monitor if needed. However, my cardiologist says everything is a o.k. Other than just sitting and scaring myself poopless, I just try to have faith that the test that were ran were accurate. I heard that a stress echo is an extensive test, and my cardo had that ran very first. Find you a good doctor that you can trust and put your faith in the lord.

Worrygirl

Closed Thread