It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 05:29 AM   #1

stixx HB User
Help With PVC's and Acid reflux

First i want to say what a great board and place to get information

Ill try and keep my situation brief

I started getting heart palpatations back in september and wound up at the emergency room. ever since then i havent been able to shake them. And like everyone here knows, you think youre done for!!! I cant understand why at the age of 31 ive developed this condition. Im even more amazed at the cluelessness of the medical field to be able to deal with this.

Since then ive seen 2 cardioligists, taken 2 ultrasounds, EKG, Stress EKG, Chest XRAY and everything has come out OK (whew!) except for the diagnosis of PVC's

However im still getting episodes every week or so where i get numerous palpatations over the course of hours and hours.

Ive tried potassium supplements which havent worked, but i havent tried magnisum or calcium yet. Defaintly going to do that

The one thing that ive noticed is that i belch a lot when im having one of theese episodes of palpitations and wonder how it could be related to ACID REFLUX, which my doctor says i have. Or for that matter any other digestive disorder.

Ive also found that eating some pretzels settles things down. I know its wierd but it works better then the TOPROL 25mg that im currently taking. The TOPROL really isnt doing much. It helps to stop my heart from pounding (and probably lowering the blood pressure)but dosent really stop the PVC's from occuring

Bottom line for me is that the longer i deal with this and try to track down answers, the more convinced i am that the PVC's and belching are related. Could there be some sort of irritation in my esopogus, or in the lining that would casue PVC's?? Ive bee prescribed PROTONIX but i think that stuff just makes the PVC's worse without doing a darn thing for ACID REFLUX. I also find that i get PVC's more often on an empty stomach then just after eating. Although there are the occasions where i get PVC's after eating too

And my other question is are there any dangerous side effects to taking TOPROL, ive seen some posts about how some people have difficulty getting off them

But like i said at the top i cant understand why all of a sudden these PVC's started to happen 8 months ago.........theres gotta be a reason!!!

anyway this place has already been a treasure trove of information, grateful
this place finally came up on a google search

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 06:20 AM   #2

worryworttx HB User
Re: Help With PVC's and Acid reflux

Well...finally someone with the same question(s) as myself. I too have had the palpitations since January of last year and pretty much can keep them under control. I have had every test in the book, although when we feel things in our chest area we automatically think "Heart Attack". Although we know this in not true or in my case I have a case of anxiety and panic disorder (which I truely believe that we all develope while going through this roller coaster of body symptoms and emotional feelings of what is wrong?) but with medication I can control them. I can't take beta blockers b/c my blood pressure is pretty low to begin with and the one time I did take them my b/p dropped tremendously. So I will not take them any more. My symptoms include: heart palpitations, pvc's (which I was diagnosied with when I wore a 30 day event monitor that my doctor did not even tell me that I had...and NEVER even felt until last month, which really freaked me out), nervousness all the time, I have a bad stomache, terrible Acid Reflux that has turned into GERD, constant awareness of my heart area and pulse rate and terrible dizziness.
I DO BELIEVE THAT THE ACID REFLUX/GERD AND PVC'S ARE RELATED!!!!!!!!!!!
I burp constantly...which is not very lady like. But I have to.

Anyone else with any input would be great.

Bec

Old 04-28-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

jaguar63122 HB User

Well.....just wanted to let you know I have suffered from the exact symtoms as ya'll. I have seen 2 cardiologist, had numerous test, and was diagnosed with PVC's. I too take Toporol 25mg. It was very hard for me to except this when it first started happening. I thought I was going to die and no one was helping me. I have had to learn over the last few years just to except it, and realize that if it hasn't killed me by now...that maybe it wasn't going to. Every minute of the day I have PVC's and I can tell because I constantly have to burp. I mentioned the combination of this to my DR. and he said that others had described the same feeling, but he didn't know if the burping was caused from the PVC's,or if the PVC's were caused from the burping. Anyways Im 35 years old, and Im glad to hear others share my same experiences. Recently I have been having some dizzy spells, with some palipitations. Im not sure rather to go to the Dr. or not. I really hate going through all the test again just so they can tell you " that it is more dangerous to try and treat, than it is to just live with" Let me tell you...and I know ya'll know. Feeling your heart, what feels like your heart skipping beats, is darn scarry. I have been taking Toporol for 4 years now, and have no ill side effects. My Dr. did tell me though to never stop taking this medicine with out telling him. He said it could be dangerous. Thanks for listening

Old 04-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

I also have a lot of excess stomach acid and have recently noticed that when I have a bad case of acid indigestion, I tend to get palpitations. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the excess acid. I've read that taking a half teaspoon of baking soda in water about 30 min. before meals can help, but others say not to do that because it can interfere with digestion, so I'm confused. But I'm going to try it for a few days and see what happens. It sure does seem like the doctors could come up with some help for us.

btw, what are PVC's?

Old 04-28-2004, 12:01 PM   #5

lisadp HB User

Hi
I have recently noticed a link between PVC's skipped heart beats and my stomach, when my heart palpitations are worse my stomach feels all knotted up and tense, when I realise this I relax and the palpitations seem to get better!! I am a very nervy person, and years ago suffered with major panic attacks, which is when I noticed the heart palps!! my stomach has always felt knotted up, and yes I also feel the need to burp and do LOL!! for some reason I think that the blood flow to the heart is somewhat constricted when the stomach is tense and once the stomach relaxs the blood rushes back to the heart and causes the heart palps!! just a theory!! I havent been to the Dr's specifically to have my heart checked because I dont think theres anything wrong with it!! its just scarey, but I have had a baby within the last two years, no complications with my heart, perfect birth perfect baby, whilst pregnant he told me heart palps where normal and not to worry about them, another Dr told me it was synis rythm!All I know is that they are darn annoying and I wish it would beat normally!!

Old 04-28-2004, 12:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I'm another one that has GERD, burps a lot, and has skipped heart beats. I think all of our health problems are related to our "gut" . I have a problem with inflammation, i.e. Asthma, arthritis, sinusitis, allergies, etc. I believe these are all conditions that would improve if my digestion improved. I plan to do a whole body cleanse when I have the money and start from square one. Do the cleanse, drink more water, take digestive enzymes and probiotics. Oh, I almost forgot, I just got over a sinus infection and a round of antibiotics! Antibiotics really irritate the digestive system! Has anyone else been on repeated antibiotics?

Old 04-29-2004, 07:17 AM   #7

Emster HB User

I have severe acid reflux, and I noticed that when it acts up, so do my pvc's.
The doctor said its because the esophageus (sp?) runs by the heart, so in turn it irritates it, which brings on the pvc's.
S I try to watch what I eat and eat slowly.

Emster

Old 04-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #8

stixx HB User

wow

Sounds like a lot of us are having the same symptoms

Makes me wanna shove my foot up my first Cardiologists @$$. When i first went to that guy back in september he was adamant that INdegestion acid reflux cant casue PVC's

Fortunatly the new guy im going to is much more open minded. He admits theres not a lot known about PVC's but he curious in trying to figure out whats going on

question for jaguar

Quote:
but he didn't know if the burping was caused from the PVC's,or if the PVC's were caused from the burping.
do you notice what comes first the PVC or the burp??

I find that for the most aprt ill get a PVC, then a burp. If i burped and then got a PVC it might be easier to diagnose, but like you said i cant figure out what is the casue and which is the effect

As for my Acid Reflux i question the diagnosis. I never get heartburn, or bad indegestion. Im just burping constantly. The doctors have tried PROTONIX and RANTENDINE but neither or them worked at all.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

It does seem like the pvc usually comes first, quickly followed by a burp. But it also seems like the stomach getting ready to send the burp is what causes the pvc, since the burp follows so quickly and I can feel the air coming up my esophagus almost at the same time as the pvc hits (if I'm making any sense here).

Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #10
(female)

bigsis46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadp View Post
Hi
I have recently noticed a link between PVC's skipped heart beats and my stomach, when my heart palpitations are worse my stomach feels all knotted up and tense, when I realise this I relax and the palpitations seem to get better!! I am a very nervy person, and years ago suffered with major panic attacks, which is when I noticed the heart palps!! my stomach has always felt knotted up, and yes I also feel the need to burp and do LOL!! for some reason I think that the blood flow to the heart is somewhat constricted when the stomach is tense and once the stomach relaxs the blood rushes back to the heart and causes the heart palps!! just a theory!! I havent been to the Dr's specifically to have my heart checked because I dont think theres anything wrong with it!! its just scarey, but I have had a baby within the last two years, no complications with my heart, perfect birth perfect baby, whilst pregnant he told me heart palps where normal and not to worry about them, another Dr told me it was synis rythm!All I know is that they are darn annoying and I wish it would beat normally!!
it i s about 2-am and i am sitting here with my pvc,s just annoying the heck out of me i am burping a lot which relieves them a bit i also am wearing that very uncomfortable 24 hr holter monitor so they can check to see if it is an actual heart problem,but i know my body and i can tell there is a connection between the two.if anyone has any information about how to control themplease let me know.i have the really scary panic attacks when my heart acts up so im really desperate here -----please help

Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
(female)

jaguar63122 HB User

Hey Bigsis..

if you say you know its your heart..then Im sure it is. I've been having PVC and PAC for 8 years now. Im still here so I guess they are not too dangerous. what you need to do is make sure there is nothing else wrong with your heart. I developed my PVC's at the time that I developed heart disease. But my heart disease wasn't picked up until 7 years later. I used to get stressed about them, but now I dont pay any attention to them hardly. Only on really bad days I get a little anxious about them. Keep pushing the Dr. till you get the answers you are looking for. For me it was an 8 year battle. 4 Cardiologist and several other Dr.'s.

Thanks,
Treze

Closed Thread