It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 11:56 PM   #1

Scarlet Knight HB User
What does it feel like when your heart skips a beat?

Hi all. In the past few weeks I have had several instances in which I suddenly feel a very odd sensation in my chest. I can't explain it exactly. It is a strange feeling, almost like being queasy, and it begins in my chest and sort of radiates up my throat. It is always accompanied by a sense of dread. I am in a real dilemma because, you see, because I have terrible anxiety and a simple thought can send my body into panic. So it's impossible for me to know if what I am feeling is real or just the result of my anxiety. I feel no pain, however. Is that significant? What's the best course of action here? Thank you.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Re: What does it feel like when your heart skips a beat?

when i have skipped beats it feels like my heart is flipping over in my chest and if i feel my pulse at the time it does it i can feel it stop beating then start again, and it makes me feel kinda sweaty and weak depending on how bad the skip is and if its just one or multiples in a row.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 07:24 PM   #3

Scarlet Knight HB User

simplegirl, I know exactly what you mean. When I was describing my sensation to a friend, I used similar terms. I told him it feels like that quick burst of panic you get when you are on a flight of stairs and you trip. I also have acid reflux, and yes, I think it is possible that this sensation is caused by it. It could perhaps be the esophagus spasming, or some other feeling caused by reflux entering back into the throat. In any event, I went to see my doctor today just to be safe. She examined me and my heart sounded fine. But just to be sure, she's sending me for an echocardiogram and some other test, in which I wear some device for a full 24 hours that monitors my heart. Hopefully this will tell me if anything's wrong or not.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #4

Scarlet Knight HB User

Hey simplegirl,

Same with you, I cannot check my pulse when I have my problem because it happens so quick. It only lasts a second or so. The actual feeling of my heart skipping has only occured about four or five times in as many days. But in between, I feel kind of weak and nervous. That could just be my anxiety. Anyway, I hope you find relief with your doctor. Take care.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:11 PM   #5

dracoz HB User

I'ev had the same feeling for two days now. I suffer from GAD and have been on prozac for a week. It comes when Im very still, then I set and wait in panic for the next "feeling". Its very unerving.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:12 AM   #6

MEG12 HB User

Hi I been reading some of the e-mails going back and forth on premature heart beats, and I'm interested in hearing from you

can you please tell me how you are feeling, wether your problem has gotten better and or is completly gone.....

I have premature heart beats I got a 24 hour monitor done about 1 year ago and they told me I had
premature heart beats that they weren't bad and for me to try to ignore them and go on with my
life. Well needless to say they seem to have gotten worst so I went to see my doctor again 2 weeks
ago, she asked me to get a 7 day monitor so I did this to me was not the monitor for my problem
do to the way it worked, I was to record the irregular heart beat every time I had one WELL I couldn't
possibly do that since I sometimes seem to notice them every 2 to 3 minutes not to mention the
nurse that was taking my recordings via the phone told me to only call when they seemed to be
different and or were worst......long story short now I'm waiting for this week to be over so I can
call for the results. I'M KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED hopefully all will be fine.

My premature heart beats are like this:::::::
one normal beat
followed with a feeling of a pause
followed with a slow lump strong pump that I feel on my neck and sometimes a feeling in my stomach
( feeling is like when you free fall and or go down a roller coaster ride maybe even a fear like feeling )
* I don't seem to get fast or rapped heart beats just strong pounding beats
** around 3 years ago I developed a fear of driving on the freeway I get anxiety and or panic attacks almost
a phobia feeling that just makes me feel a very strong fear like feeling in my stomach for around 3 or 4
years my health has been up and down mostly down experiencing all types of problems and now I have
this one PREMATURE HEART BEATS this one is the most scary one because it's my HEART can you
please tell me what has worked for you and or any recommendations you may have

I'm desperate and would totally be super thankful if you could help me, please reply
Sincerely
M

PS: Thank you in advance

Old 07-23-2004, 08:15 AM   #7

MEG12 HB User

Good morning simplegirl,
Thank you for your reply, I truly appreciated it....I've been keeping a diary to see if
I can figure out what's going on with my health. I still feel the darn PVC's but since I don't have the monitor on anymore I seem to feel them less during the day however they feel the same at night when I go to bed. I started to take FISH OIL supplement since I have read a few e-mails mentioning that Omega-3 fatty acids are good for the heart I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that this helps it definitely can't hurt.
I wish I knew more about other supplements like MAGNESIUM--GARLIC--& POTASSIUM I have a doctor's appointment on August 27th and plan on asking my doctor what she thinks and how much to take of the above mentioned supplements. I hope that at the same time my heart premature beats get better my anxiety will also do too. Do you have an anxiety problem by any chance?
If you have any info on the supplements please let me know....k? Well till next e-mail wishing everyone the best of health & a wonderful weekend
M

Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 AM   #8

MEG12 HB User

Good morning simplegirl,
Hope you had a great weekend!
I had a good Saturday not so good Sunday but worked on calming down to help my premature heart beats to settle down.
Today I'm going to call my doctor again to see if she'll call me with results on the
7 day monitor I turned in 3 weeks ago. I hope that no news is good news but need to know for sure. I'm still taking the FISH OIL vitamin daily I haven't felt anything different but like I said it can't hurt so why not take them. I'm also going to ask her about the other supplements to see how she feels, I'll let you know what I find out.
Please if you find out any more on how to fix this problem to how to live with it let me know I can use any and all help on this subject, it's so darn uncomfortable and nerve braking. Take care
Meg

Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
(male)

nittanyla512 HB User

l have had all the tests done for the skipping heart beats ,, come to find out it was spasming esophagus that was smasming the vegus nerve leading to the heart. amitryptalin was the answer . its a digestive thing

Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
(male)

luvdpuck HB User

nittany , your response is interesting . I suffer from pvc's and have been told by a cardiologist to not worry , they are harmless. He also told me that it is not a skipped beat , but rather more of a quick premature beat tied to the end of the previos one, sort of like ...blub....dub....blub...dub.blub.....du b .
So it feels like it has skipped a beat , when in reality there is just a bit of a pause between the blub and the dub because the blub happened early .

The other interesting thing he said was that they can occur in perfectly normal hearts and most people get them without ever noticing them , but then there are the other unfortunate souls ( me ) who feel practically every single one . It is all about your body and it's sensitivity to such things .

He gave me an example of 2 of his patients . The 1st one was having around 2 - 3 thousand pvc's a day when hooked up to the halter monitor but did not even know it . The 2nd patient was having 2 or 3 a day and was calling him after each one in a panic .

Anyway , I side tracked . I have noticed in many instances that I will get s string of pvc's either while eating or during the night after eating , particularly if eating certain foods .

Can you please tell me more about what you have discovered as far as what you mentioned in your post . It sounds all too familiar to me , and like something I would like to pursue .
My doc has said I am fine and to forget about the pvc's , but he's not the one getting them and has appearantly , no idea just how uncomfortable they can feel .

Thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #11
(female)

Trish1001 HB User

Luvdpuk, what you describe with your heartbeats is exactly how I would describe mine, and your doctor and mine concur.
It is rather disconcerting to have that pause between/in the middle of heartbeats. But I have no other symptoms (sweating, nausea, etc.) and I keep reminding myself that the stress echos that I've had have been normal.
I find that they are worse if I am tired, so I try to get enough sleep. This has been going on for years, at least 20, and I'm still around!
Thanks for your input.
Trish

Closed Thread