It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #16
Inactive

Pumpinaway HB User
Re: Well I am back! I am now having constant chest tightness again, need advice pleas

Few questions Tony:

1. What is your blood pressure at rest and while under exertion?

2. What diagnostic tests have been performed and what were the results?

3. What meds are you on?

Old 07-29-2004, 01:16 PM   #17

Tony1 HB User
Re: Well I am back! I am now having constant chest tightness again, need advice please

My blood pressure when I recently saw the dr. was 130 over something. It has been fine at every dr. visit.

all tests done four months ago:
Cardiac triage tests, chest xray, etc first ER visit worried about heart attack, everything was normal.
Four ekg's
One stress test: normal, great exercise tolerance, heart rate and blood pressure rose normally and descended normally I was told.
One thallium stress test: negative, great exercise tolerance, heart rate and blood pressure rose normally and descended normally I was told.

Currently on imipramine 50 to 100 mg. nightly as a preventative for chronic headaches. Was also chosen because my chronic headaches at the time started causing me to have panic attacks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #18
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Re: Well I am back! I am now having constant chest tightness again, need advice please

Tony I get angina, and will try to explain it to you. For example, if I try to walk upstairs, my chest gets tight and heavy (and painful), I also get short of breath. By the time I get to the top of the stairs I am completely exhausted and ready to collapse. I then sit down and as soon as I do, the discomfort slowly subsides. Usually completely gone in less than a minute. So naturally I try to take it very slow. I do not get pains down my arms or anywhere else(angina pain). It really doesn't sound like angina. I can't remember, have you tried taking any pain meds or muscle relaxers?

Hope your well,
Abby

Old 07-30-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
Inactive

Pumpinaway HB User
Re: Well I am back! I am now having constant chest tightness again, need advice pleas

I agree with Abbygirl. Doesn't sound cardiac in nature to me, but what do I know? I do know this my unstable angina symptom of tightness in the chest upon exertion was not due to my CAD, which I admittedly have a pretty severe case of. It was from undetected hypertension on only a small amount of exertion.

I never had high blood pressure in the doctor's office. If anything, it always was low or normal. When my current cardiologist took my resting BP, it was 120/70, not bad for a 56 year old overweight guy, right? But while I squeezed an instrument designed to measure hand grip for less than a minute, my BP shot up to 140/110! The doctor said, if my primary care physician had not put me on a beta blocker two weeks earlier,, my BP no doubt would have shot up to 200/150!

He started me on a medical regimen that keeps my BP around 90/58 most of the time (yesterday one reading was 88/50) and I have only had two minor instances of aginal pain since starting the regimen on June 6. They were caused by some pretty strong exertion while carrying heavy objects up some stairs and they disappeared as soon as I rested about three minutes.

I firmly believe everyone should have their BP checked as my cardiologist does, while at rest and while under the stress of squeezing an instrument. If you wait until your resting BP is high, who knows how long you've had high blood pressure on exertion and how high it gets when you are exerting yourself?

Old 07-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #20

Tony1 HB User

I don't think I have the type of symptoms as you explained abbygirl2. My tightness and pressure are constant. I don't know if it would be blood pressure if my symptoms are constant. It did seem to get worse when I tried some jogging yesterday. I can't tell if it is just my breathing harder or because I am getting my heart rate up. Deep breaths amplify my symptoms. Will taking a deep breath make symptoms worse during angina. Even after I stop, although it felt a worse from jogging, the symptoms do not go away once I rest. I was feeling anxious about exercising and I became more upset while exercising. I came home and did a hard 10 minutes on the stair climber without getting noticably worse like when I was jogging. I did get my heart rate up to about 160 on the stair climber too. I do feel like I'm breathless but I don't have any problems exercising. I was told you can feel breathless when you have anxiety. The day before this I did some jogging and walking for a longer duration without any increase in symptoms so I am confused. One symptom I am getting that bothers me is some aching in my shoulder blades. Sometimes the left and then the right while not doing anything at all. The pain has never lasted longer than say 30 seconds at a time. Most of time it is for about 5 seconds. I had these same symptoms four months ago when I was having the same problems. At one point my upper back became very painful and it lasted 3 whole days without relief. I had to lay around on a heating pad. I even went to the Dr. and he didn't know what to make of it. I wonder if the aches in my shoulder blades is from stress and anxiety. I do get a pain here or there in either arm. I have a shoulder injury in each shoulder for which I need to see an orthopeadic dr. I don't know if this can cause some brief 1 second jabs of pain in bother arms here and there. Is it possible to have symptoms of angina or cad for a few months only to have those symptoms dissapear for four months (no symptoms during strenuous exercise) and then re-appear?

Old 08-01-2004, 03:34 AM   #21

Sara67 HB User

Hi Tony

Angina is caused by a build up of atherosclerosis in one or more of the arteries that feed oxygenated blood to the heart muscle. As the heart works harder in response to exercise, the heart muscle requires more oxygenated blood.

The extent of the blockage will determine how much stress the heart can tolerate before problems occur. Therefore, life would be the same until you exerted yourself to the point where the heart muscle required more oxygenated blood than the artery could deliver.

To overcome this, you would either need to rest so as to reduce the need for oxygenated blood, or you could use a Glycerine Nitrate, which causes the arteries to dialate and therefore allows more oxygenated blood to get to the heart muscle.

Taking a 75mg dose of Aspirin every day and reducing the blood lipids with lifestyle changes and medication can help to control angina. This is because the blood is thinner and less likely to clot, so it would be able to travel past the arthroma easier and therefore provide the oxygenated blood that is needed. With these changes, the patients exercise tolerance level would be higher, but the angina would still occur if they over did it

Heart muscle which is starved of oxygenated blood is very painful. The muscle does not die because there is a small amount of blood getting through. However, this is not enough to enable it to stay healthy. Therefore, failure to rest or take the correct medication would result in the muscle dying. This is known as a heart attack.

I hope this helps.

Sara

Last edited by Sara67; 08-01-2004 at 03:41 AM.

Old 08-01-2004, 03:49 AM   #22
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Suer the chest pain you are experiencing(even though it may worsen with exercise) could be anxiety. If you are stressed, your muscles will tense, and you said you were getting upset while jogging, which could cause you muscles to tighten more. The jabs in the shoulder blades and arms could be from your shoulder injuries, or again tense muscles, or anxiety...or just one of them things. Some things can never be resolved.
Talk to your Dr about your anxiety, they can help you deal with it. Take care.
Abby

Closed Thread