It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #1

rc998 HB User
arm pain related to the heart

if someone has sharp pains in there lower arm and hand could that be related to the heart?

Old 07-30-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User
Re: arm pain related to the heart

not always, are you having any other pain besides in the arm? If your having chest pain along with it, dont mess around and see a doc asap. otherwise make an apointment for a visit and let him know whats up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 06:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

It absolutely could be especially if it is in left arm and hand. I would want to know whether you are having other heart related symptoms as well though.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:30 AM   #4

rc998 HB User

i dont have any chest pain when i run on the treadmill but i did have a superficial blood clot in that arm in may after i had my apendix out, but they sd the clot was from the iv in my arm bc they didnt flush my arm. but the pain varies, where when i had my blood clot it was just in 1 place.

my doc scheduled me for a stress test aug 11th to rule out any blockages but i dont think thats the problem bc i never have pain when exercising. he also testsed my homosytine level which is supposed to detect for clots and it was low so who knows, but this pain does bother me. im thinking maybe he should do an ultra sound on that arm. any advice??

Old 07-31-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I would definitely say that an ultrasound is needed. It sounds like yours is a difficult case to figure out. What are your lipid levels like? Do you know your ratio between total cholesterol and HDL? There is also evidence that a low HDL and high triglycerides are a risk factor in itself. Do you have a strong family history of heart disease? Do you have high blood pressure, diabetes and do you smoke? Are you overweight? You don't have to actually answer those questions for me, but you might look at those things and maybe try to assess your risk factor for heart disease. It might ease your anxiety or it might raise it depending on your answers. There are tests you can take online as well. They are not always a good predictor but it might give you an idea of your risk. I had an extremely low risk immediately following my stent and bypass so I know that the test was not accurate in my case but it might help you. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2004, 12:52 PM   #6

rc998 HB User

my chosterol is 216, hdl 51, ldl 150, tri is 70 and homosytine test was 6.5 (6.0-15 was the range) im about 20 lbs overweight but i dont smoke nothing else really. i have bad anxiety so i dont know how much that has to do with it. cholestrol ratis were all ok just ldl was high. i used the heart disease risk calculator and mine was 1%

Closed Thread