It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 01:46 AM   #1

cajunmommy HB User
Question feeling of heart quivering?

I have been seeing a cardiologist for about a year now and after a few test was told I have PVC's and PAC's. They always feel like a flutter or a strong thump in my chest. Well last night while at in-laws house talking about having to leave due to hurricane, I had to sit down due to the strangest feeling. It felt like my heart was quivering. It was very different than what I have experienced before. It was fast and eratic. I felt the need to cough and then I got really hot in the face and felt like all the blood rushed to my head. I have not been able to sleep because of it. Has anyone experienced this before?? Should I be worried?? If anyone can help explain what the hell this was it would be a great help.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User
Re: feeling of heart quivering?

I get that feeling too. It feels like it's in your throat or something, right? If it's the same sensation it is terrible - and yes, you do feel the need to cough because of it!
The redness in the face (the flushed feeling) could be because you got so scared.
Sometimes they just won't stop and I sit there hitting myself in the chest!

Now was the heart actually beating fast (did you check your pulse?) or did you just ASSUME that? If it's anxiety and what happens to me, I don't believe it is actually the heart going nuts (I never did take my pulse during one of those episodes because I'm too afraid! ) - but I know that is a common feeling.

Anxiety books will describe that as "heart shakes"

Last edited by Sunlover; 09-14-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #3

sugarmagnolia HB User

it could be atrial fibrillation a quivering in the top part of the heart that is irregular. it is a very common arrythmia. you should talk to your doctor. he might suggest a holter monitor it monitors your heart for 24-48hrs and when you have symptoms you press a button to record the heart rhythm. good luck

Old 11-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #4

Excelsoir HB User

Yes, it does sound a bit like atrial fibrillation which in itself is not life-threatening. This arrythmia can cause blood clots in the heart to form, and find their way to the brain (causing a stroke) so people with this disorder ( apart from a one-off episode) usually have to take Warfarin to thin the blood. Taken at the "wrist" the pulse rate can be deceptive, because only some impulses get through from the Atrium to the left ventricle.The heart beat feels chaotic[quivering]rather than regular : the rate can vary.
You need a doctor to take the heart rate by listening to the heart (apex beat). You certainly need a diagnosis.
Allthe Best,
Excelsoir

Old 11-29-2004, 01:19 AM   #5
(female)

tigeress_181 HB User

Ah your having a panic or anxiety attack. I suffered for nearly 4 years and had them every 3 days about 2 times during the day and lasting for nearly 20-30 mins, maybe more when I was really worried. My pulse rate would go right past 134 beats per minute, 120 is pushing it as it is.......

A few tips to manage them at home is to get away from the stresses/worries or not think about them,go to a dark room, lie down with a cold flannel on your chest, put your arm over your eyes, elevate your legs, strain like your going to do a poo, suck on some ice or put an icecube under your tounge of course if it happens in public then thats a different matter, that is embarrasing, I was shopping with my kids (both under 6),I though I was going to pass out and had to hold onto someones trolley so I could keep myself up until it passed I was extremely light headed but felt like my head was engorged with blood and heavy), I guess she thought I was wierd until I told her why I had to use her trolley as a leaning post and apologised.

If biological/physical tests turn up no underlying cause then I suggest you see a psychiatrist, theres nothing to be ashamed of I have seen one for the past 4 yrs and haven't had an episode for about 6-7 months now.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
(female)

his4ever040494 HB User

Question? Has anyone had the feeling of being shocked while sleeping? If so, were you tested by a doctor to find out what it is and what is causing this to happen?
While I am sleeping, I feel as though I am being shocked in my chest causing me to be awaken.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #7
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

I've had something like that happen sometimes. Usually it is when I have just gone to bed and haven't been asleep long, or am not fully asleep. It feels like a 'jolt' in the chest but then by the time I am awake all is well. I wasn't ever really tested specifically for that but one was caught on a holter monitor, and it was actually a string of PVCs, four or five in a row, during that early stage of sleep. I don't know if that is the same thing you're describing or not, it's hard to really explain waht it feels like and there are so many things that can feel similar and only a specific monitoring test can determine the difference. On the up-side, in the absence of underlying disorders this type of stuff is almost never harmful in and of itself.

Closed Thread