It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 08:21 AM   #1
Inactive

KawaiiKoneko81 HB User
Pain in left shoulder blade and collarbone...

Hi everyone.

I have a question...

I am 22 years old, and i have a history of palpitations that started about 3 years ago. they are under control now along with high blood pressure, with atenolol 50 mgs a day...

my question is this, i have been having severe pain in my left shoulder blade for about 2 years now, (most likely a pinched nerve) and it has just recently started hurting in mostly my collarbone area, and my chest. (left sided only) do you guys think this could be cardiac related? i have had 2 ekg's both normal except for a slight case of tachycardia, (which is also why i am on atenolol). i am also overweight, which scares me, but i have been on a diet to lose it... my doctor says i dont have to worry about a heart attack, but it still scares me when the pain starts up...

what do you guys think?

Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: Pain in left shoulder blade and collarbone...

Sure enough it could be cardiac related. It could also be a pinched nerve. An Ekg isn't the best diagnostic tool available. In some cases, they are almost worthless (just my uneducated opinion).
Does the pain come on after exertion, or while at rest? Do you get sob, when the pain starts? Are you taking statin meds? You need to lose weight for sure!
That atenolol makes ya lazy, or it does lots of folks that way. When doctors prescribe beta blockers, they should make exercise mandatory! It reduces the strength and frequency of the heart beat, thereby reducing your blood circulation.
That can cause you problems, because you are still a youngun, and already taking this med. Do some exercise and get that heart rate up and push that blood around your bod. Start slowly though or you could seriously hurt yourself.
Left chest area pain, whether at rest or not, is enough to get you a stress test, seems like. Stress test are notorious though, for false positives and false negatives. Next best test would be a cardiac catheterization. They are not lots of fun, because of the associated risk. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 05:50 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Kawaii,
Jack is right in that the ECG is of only limited diagnostic use. Your pain most likely isn't at all cardiac related.
A cardiac referral to the shoulder would come on very distinctly with exertion and stop with just a couple minutes rest.
You most likely have an injury to your rotator cuff or to one of the gazillions of tendons and muscles that make up the VERY complicated shoulder "joint." Try some ibuprofen, maybe 3 x 200 mg, a day, and see if that helps.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Inactive

KawaiiKoneko81 HB User

Thanks so much for your help and advice guys. I think it is most likely a pinched nerve because my skin over my shoulder blade is numb sometimes...And to answer the first person's question, no it doesnt come on with exertion. it just happens at any time. it could be that i type on a computer all day long, (part of my job). and there is no shortness of breath with it. it just starts in my shoulder, and moves to my collarbone and chest. i also get it when i think i might have gas in my stomach, because sometimes i burp when i hurts....i have had this pain for over a year now....

Closed Thread