It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
(female)

twins2sets HB User
strong heart beat in stomach

Hi everyone. I'm worried. I am a 37 year old female. No history of problems except for a heart murmur (innocent) and an umbilical hernia from 2 twin pregnancies. Majorly separated abdominal muscles.

Here's the deal. A little while ago I started noticing (especially at night) that I have a very strong pulsating feeling in my stomach, kind of right near or above my belly button. It is much stronger than the heartbeat in my chest. When I look at my stomach I can see it moving up and down. I'm concerned because I read that this can be a sign of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. I know that it is very rare in younger women. However, so was naturally conceiving two sets of twins and that happened to me!

It also should be noted that when I lay down at night my stomach tenses up in different places, like the abdominal muscles involuntarily contract. I will get a hard bulge like on my bottom right side, then that will go away, and then it will show up on the top near my sternum, etc. It moves around. I have no idea what that means, maybe digestive, maybe not related.

Anyway, do you think my hernia could be causing me to feel my heartbeat more strongly there, because it's "open"? I'm very nervous. I should also let you know that I have lost a lot of weight recently...maybe just being skinny could make me feel it more? Please help and give me some insight. I am really scared, I have 4 kids and I'm young and I have my whole life ahead of me.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

twins2sets HB User
Red face Update

I went to the dr. this afternoon (after the nurse pretty much acted like I was stupid for coming in...) and I guess I expected him to say "well, it's really probably nothing, but if you'd like to get it checked out....". But he didn't - he said "Do you have a history of aneurysm in your family?" "We should get this checked to see what's happening, you need to go for an ultrasound of the abdominal aorta".

Okay, now I'm worried. Waiting to hear back from the ultrasound place to fit me in their schedule. It better be soon.

The doctor said he didn't really feel anything, but then on the script and the other form he wrote "pulsatile abdominal mass". Should I be worried????????

Old 09-22-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: strong heart beat in stomach

Hi there . I think that pulsatile means "it has a pulse".
Don't ya love dem people that work in a doc's office I guess the doctor didn't want to scare you, or didn't want to take the time to explain things to you. Either reason he had, the result was-he scared you! What a shame. Now you have to wait for the ultrasound test and results. If it were me, I would call his office and demand more information from the doctor, as it has had a huge impact on your nervous system, not to mention your quality of life.
My motto is not to worry until I positively have to, but you have met and exceeded my criteria. Go into the self preservation mode.Try to remain as calm as you can. I would take off work and relax until I new what was happening to me. Best of luck to you

Old 09-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
(female)

twins2sets HB User

Thanks. I think my usual thing is to worry about the worst possible thing that can happen, and then if it doesn't I am relieved. If I think nothing is wrong then maybe it would be a little harder to take. It's all psychological and really what it all comes down to is I will be devestated if it happens no matter what. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
(male)

sam061 HB User
Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins2sets
I went to the dr. this afternoon (after the nurse pretty much acted like I was stupid for coming in...) and I guess I expected him to say "well, it's really probably nothing, but if you'd like to get it checked out....". But he didn't - he said "Do you have a history of aneurysm in your family?" "We should get this checked to see what's happening, you need to go for an ultrasound of the abdominal aorta".

Okay, now I'm worried. Waiting to hear back from the ultrasound place to fit me in their schedule. It better be soon.

The doctor said he didn't really feel anything, but then on the script and the other form he wrote "pulsatile abdominal mass". Should I be worried????????

Old 10-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
(male)

sam061 HB User

I am a male and had the same thing. I had an echo and it came back negative. I worried about the same thing just like you are doing. When I laid in bed at night my stomach would pulsate. I just knew I had an ab. aneurysm. So I don't worry about it since the echo. Also, today with an ab. aneurysm doctors can place a sleeve around which keeps it from breaking. I had a friend who had this done. So quit worrying about it and keep your mind on those babies to be.- Sam

Last edited by sam061; 10-03-2004 at 11:44 AM.

Closed Thread