It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 05:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
weird feeling while trying to sleep

ok im going to try my best to explain what im feeling.........im fine all day and even when laying down watching tv but when i go to bed i fall asleep usually fine then a few hours later as of thursday nite i wake up and then while trying to go back to sleep my heart feels like it stops then starts again and it keeps doing this like every minute or so maybe more at points, its like i can hear it in my ears that time stops for a sec then goes back to how it was its like a pausing noise that is the best way i can expalin it, is that palpitations?? or skipped beats?? i have been dealing with what i thought were those for years but they have never appeared like this i always got them with like my heart flipping over in my chest but this is weird, i try takin my pulse and waititing for it to happen and its hard to tell if it skips cause of the way i feel when this happens, has anyone had anything close to this happen to them if so please respond back, im just trying to figure out if its my heart or if im going crazy.........thanks

Old 10-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: weird feeling while trying to sleep

Hello, there is a condition known as "pulsatile tinnitus", where a person can hear their own heart beat. You can do a search on this on the net. This needs to be checked out by your doc.
Here is some non-copyrighted information that I found : It is strongly recommended that all individuals with pulsatile tinnitus locate an excellent physician with interest in the circulatory system and complete a thorough examination.

Based on my research this spring, which included reviewing 7 otolaryngology textbooks and over 250 research studies, the data appears to support the underlying cause for detecting a pulsatile tinnitus as physiologic in nature. That said, there are many, many cases of pulsatile tinnitus that defy diagnosis and identification of the causative agent.

Here are some general facts about this troubling condition:

Pulsatile tinnitus is most often classified as objective tinnitus, meaning that others may also hear the sound, using a stethoscope or other sophisticated equipment.

Dr. Abram Shulman, who directs the prestigious Martha Enteman Tinnitus Treatment Clinic in NYC, writes: "Objective tinnitus can be experienced by the examiner on auscultation of the auditory canal and/or of surrounding structures with use of an auscultation tube or stethoscope. The find on auscultation of a carotid bruit (noise) or a vascular bruit overlying the orbit and/or cranium may be a reflection of an arteriovenous (AV) malformation or fistula."(quote from Essentials of Otolaryngology, Third Edition).

Pulsatile tinnitus can also be related to the following conditions:

From Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Eighth Edition, the chapter written by Dr. Alexander J. Schleuning II (who practices at OHSU in Portland, Oregon). The notes in parentheses are my explanatory comments.

Vascular Abnormalities Arterioevenous shunts Congenital arteriovenous malformation
Acquired arteriovenous shunts Glomus tumors of the jugular
Glomus tumors of the tympanicum (middle ear area)
Note: a glomus tumor is vascular non-cancerous growth in or near the blood vessels

Arterial bruits (noises relating to the arteries-beating sounds) High-riding carotid artery (close to the auditory areas)
Carotid stenosis (closing or narrowing of the vessel)
Vascular loop (of the internal auditory canal)
Persistent stapedial artery (close to the stapes bone)

Venous hums (noises relating to slower blood flow) Dehiscent jugular bulb
Hypertension (high blood pressure)

Mechanical Abnormalities Patulous eustachian tubes (open tubes leading from throat to ear)
Palatomyoclonus (small spasms of muscles in the soft palate area)
Idiopathic stapedial muscle spasm (the tiny muscle attached to the stapes bone in the middle ear space)

Pulsatile tinnitus can be heard as several characteristic sounds including a lower pitched thumping or booming, as well as a rougher blowing sound which is coincidental with respiration, or as a clicking, higher pitched rhythmic sensation. Finally there may be single, rhythmic beats, or multiple biphasic beats (like the clip-clop of the horse), or a swishing, swooshing sound.

A rapid clicking sensation may be due to the contractions of the middle ear and palatal muscles. Low humming tinnitus that is inaudible to the examiner may be due to venous blood flow or associated with Meniere’s disease when accompanied by vertigo and fluctuating hearing loss.

Objective tinnitus that is strongly associated with the timing of the heart beat is most likely the product of a blood vessel malformation of the arteries and veins of the head or neck area. These blood vessels are located adjacent to the ear on the surface of the head or just inside the head. These cases require special imaging techniques and often require surgery to resolve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread