It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #1

jenn0421 HB User
Heart or Anxiety

Hello

First off let me explain that I have been having panic attacks for years, they have been going away for a while and now they have been coming back again. I teach and I have two small chidlren under three so I have been feeling very stresses and anxious lately.

A few months ago I was having this weird sensation almost like a dull pain under my left breast. I was convinced that I was having a heart attack and went to the ER to be told that I was experiencing a sever anxiety attack. I have had two EKG's that have have come out normal and my last physical has given me a clean bill of health.

Lately as I ahave been stressed I have been feeling tired and little dizzy and I can feel my heart beating when I really think about like when I lay in bad or experience an attack.
The other night it felt like it was going to come out of my chest. I also feel soemtimes like it is skipping a beat or double beating. I can feel this. My symptoms of more sever ewhen I think about it but when I am occupied doind other things they really don't come around.

Point being...I am afraid somehting is wrong with my heart but 3 doctors and EKG's have said that I am fine. I don't even know what an EKG does if someone can explain this. I hate to go to another doctor for him to tell me it is anxiety. I am only 23 so I know my risks are low. I would just like for someone to put my mind to ease or tell me that they have felt like this to. My husband thinks I am out of my mind and that I worry to much. Which I am probably doing.

Thanks
Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: Heart or Anxiety

Jenn,

Are you taking anything to control the panic attacks? Palpitations (skipped beats) and PVC's are not uncommon and I'll bet if the conditions are right, a panic attack could bring them about. Adrenaline is released during a panic attack and can speed up the heart.

I wish that I could explain what all an EKG can determine, but I cannot. You can do a search and get lots of info. They can sometimes tell if you have had a previous heart attack. They can show possible abnormalities related to arrythmias, enlarged sections of the heart, possible cardiomyopathy and problems with the 4 valves of the heart. Lots more also, I am sure.

A 12 lead EKG is the best, I think. Were any of yours of the 12 lead type? If not, then I would get one. If sensors were not attached to your legs, it wasn't a 12 lead EKG. EKG's are only as good as the equipment and the people who perform them, and the doctors that interpret them.

You may want to get an echocardiogram done. I would, if I were you. They are painless and no radioactive contrast dye is used (I think). I know that they are painless. This test is very good in looking into the heart for abnormal valve disorders, wall motion, calculating an ejection fraction (EF), and more. You may have to exaggerate your symptoms somewhat to get the doc to order the test. Whatever it takes, right? I think you may not have to exaggerate any at all, from what you have stated. Just wanted you to be prepared, lol.

Getting dizzy while having PVC's or palpitations is not a good sign. Make the doctors listen to you. Age has nothing to do with heart disease, just the statistics of who has heart disease. Doctors rely on statistics too much, I think.

My wife has taught elementary school for many years. I can certainly understand your stress. Hope you get this figured out and taken care of

Old 11-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #3

jenn0421 HB User

Hi

That is exactly what I feel. I have had to two EKG's the ones that are connected to my legs and my physical came out that everything was ok.

But these attacks that I get are exactly what you described.
Having kids makes it worse and I think the fear makes it 10X worse.

I think I should probably go back on meds, but I do not want to.

What are beta blockers?

Old 11-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

missmokay HB User

I have been told by physicians that an EKG will only detect an arrythmia during an acute event or with a person with severe heart problems. An echo is a more thorough test. Look into it. I have anxiety and I got one and it's set my mind more (though not totally) at ease about my heart.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:35 AM   #5
(female)

SandyS HB User

Hello,

October of last year I went to the Dr (of which I never do) because I just wasn't feeling well. I was so tired, shaky and very short of breath. What a day that was, was told that I was type 11 diabetic, suffered panic attacks and the EKG showed I had recently had a heart attack. I was 43 yrs old. Further testing showed my BP was high and Cholesterol was high. My life has certainly changed since that day. I now take a slew of drugs every day, but just can't seem to get back on my feet. I had a Thalium study done and came back good, had a heart cath and showed no blockage, I take medication for the panic attacks and they seem to be much better, but I still have so much unexplained discomfort. I get this tingly feeling in my left arm and leg, feels like a bug crawling on me, I always brush it off without even thinking about it, but it's a bother. Also have discomfort under my left breast occassionally.
My family history is ladened with heart problems and Diabetes, all my mothers brothers have died of heart stuff, the youngest being just 37 when he died. Both mom and dads family have Diabetes.
The heart problems and panic problems are very hard to separate.

Closed Thread