It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

andrea4013 HB User
What is this?

I am having some trouble that is really starting to scare me & was hoping that maybe some one could give me some input. I am constantly having chest pain. I was diagnosed with panic attacks pack in May. I felt like I was having a heart attack. I have finally got the panic attacks under control & have not had one in a while, but am still having the constant chest pain. It seems to hurt all over the left side of my chest, not just in the center. It is very hard to describe the pain. Sometimes it feels sharp & sometimes it almost feels like a burning & sometimes it feels just like a dull ache. I do not have any shortness of breath with the pain. I should add that I am a 22 female & in good health otherwise & when I was having the panic attacks & had an ekg, echocardiogram, & holter monitor. Everything seemed to come back fine except for a fast heart rate but the doctor said that was normal with the panic. At the time it all seemed like a logical explanation for everything that was going on, but now I am so scared that there is really something wrong because of the pain that I am having. I hope some one can relate to my situation & maybe give me some input. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: What is this?

Andrea,

I hope that someone will come along and reply to you, that can relate to your experience with the chest pain and anxiety. I cannot, because I am 52, and unhealthy. I have had a heart attack, and lots of anxiety in my life. How do you know what a heart attack feels like? It is such a different experience for those that have had one. Some folks have "silent" heart attacks, especially women. Some have the classic symptoms, like I had and is frequently described in the medical literature.

I would like to say that some congenital heart defects do not become apparent until around your age. You have had tests that should have found any abnormalities, but also could have missed something. Regardless of what the test found and the level of your anxiety, you still need to find out what is causing your pain.

Have you ever had pleurisy? It is an inflammation of the outer lining of the lung(s). I have had it, and sometimes the pain is sharp and sometimes dull. Have you had a chest x-ray before? Do you smoke? You might should see an internist, since problems with various organs can cause pain in the left side of the chest.

Be persistent with the doctors untill they find the cause of your pain. Don't let them brush you off because of your age

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

balleteach HB User
Re: What is this?

Hi, It sounds like you might have a condition called costschondritis. This is inflammation of the cartilage around the ribs and breastbone. It can also radiate around the back and arms. It feels like you can't get a deep breath. I have been dealing with this off and on for a year. I've had all the tests and everything is normal. I just responded to a post about this problem. Type the word into search for the Healthboards. I can't remember where I posted. Also Google the word and you will find so much information that you can read. This condition is very painful and can be scary because you do feel like you can't take a breath. Fortunately, it is benign . Keep posting with updates about how things are going.Good Luck, balleteach

Closed Thread