It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #1

Shawn98 HB User
Question Some one please answer me?

will someone please answer this post? i really need some advice.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here. Since I was 15 I have been DX with MVP, Mitral Valve Prolapse. I have never been on medication for it. The reason I got DX with it is because I was having really bad panic attacks which led me to see a cardiologist. Anyways sometimes I will be sitting there and I will feel my breath go away for a half of a second. I took my pulse and i became alarmed when I would feel the quick breath go away I would feel my heart skip a beat. Anyways I am not over weight, I am 6'2 188. Just about everytime I walk into a store that has a machine to let you see your blood pressure, When i take it , it is always 144 over 85. or 135 over 80. I am not over weight, but I do not excorsise like I should. Can someonme not over weight have high blood pressure? and only be 25 years old like myself? And whats witht he shortness of breth when the heart skips? any advice? looking forward to hearing from you! Shawn

Old 11-13-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: Some one please answer me?

Hi Shawn,

I have done a little reading on MVP and will try to post some info below. Your symptoms seem to fit your condition. It has been 10 years since your diagnosis of MVP. Have you had an echocardiogram lately? If not I would see a doctor and schedule one. They really get a good look at the mitral valve and it's function, I have read.

You need to be aware of any worsening of your MVP. Some of the blood pumped by your left ventricle (the main pump), goes in the reverse (wrong) direction, and can cause blood to back up into the lungs, and over pressurize the right side of your heart. This of course depends on how badly your mitral valve is prolapsing or opening in the wrong direction.

I believe that the start of high BP is 140/90. So your systolic reading of 144 was high. You need to check it over a period of time to get an average. High BP affects lots of people, regardless of their weight. Although overweight people are more prone to high BP, I believe. My wife is and always has been "skinny" but she is on medication for high BP.

The shortness of breath can come with palpitations, and I think that it is a response by the body, that I cannot explain. I know that when the heart skips a beat, or gets out of rhythm, the sinus nodes of the heart, along with the sympathetic nervous system, "resets" to restore the correct rhythm. Maybe the shortness of breath is part of this resetting process. Here is the info. It is not copyrighted. Good luck and see your doc
-----------------------------------------------------
What is the mitral valve?
The mitral valve controls the flow of blood between two chambers (or "rooms") of your heart, called the left atrium and the left ventricle. Normally, blood flows only from the atrium to the ventricle. When the heart relaxes in between beats, the two flaps of the mitral valve swing open to let blood flow from the atrium to the ventricle. The flaps normally open only one way.

What is mitral valve prolapse?
If you have mitral valve prolapse, the flaps of the valve don't work well. One of the flaps moves back into the atrium when the heart beats. This can let blood flow from the ventricle back into the atrium.

About 1 in 20 Americans has mitral valve prolapse. People are usually born with it. More women have it than men.

How do I know that I have mitral valve prolapse?
Sometimes people with mitral valve prolapse have symptoms that go along with this condition. Here are some of these symptoms:

Feeling like your heart is racing or is skipping beats
Chest pain that comes now and then
Shortness of breath
Dizziness
Anxiety or panic

Your doctor can find mitral valve prolapse during a regular exam. When listening to your heart with a stethoscope, your doctor may hear a clicking sound. The flap makes the click. If blood is flowing back into the atrium, your doctor will hear a "whooshing" sound. This sound is called a murmur.

To find out how well your valve is working, your doctor may have you get an echocardiogram. The echocardiogram is a special picture of your heart that shows your valve as the blood flows through it. This can help your doctor decide if you need treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #3

Excelsoir HB User
Re: Some one please answer me?

Hi Shawn,
As Jack 51 suggests, you need to have a cardio-echogram and its interpretation by a Cardiologist.It is a straight forward, painless procedure which reveals a lot about your cardiac function. And yes, a person not overweight can have high blood pressure. Please get your echogram.
Regards,
Excelsoir

Closed Thread