It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 09:31 PM   #1

Max420 HB User
pulsing abdomen?

I don't know if this is related to the heart, but when I am lying back on a bed or a couch or something my abdomen visibly pulsates up an down in time with my heart. It moves enough that if I have an object over my stomach area it will sort of bounce with the pulsation... I've also had lower back pain for a while now and have been paranoid about an abdominal aortic anuerysm. Is this pulsating abdomen thingy normal? I am 5 feet 8 inches and weigh about 190 pounds, so I am slightly overweight. The pulsating never used to happen so I am kinda irked by it. Should I be concerned?

EDIT:
I also forgot to mention that I have been having slight abdominal pains of late, they seem to shift all over the place in my abdomen, but tend to be localized around my navel. Wearing a belt or having a slightly heavy thing on my stomach (such as my cat) aggrivates the pain.

PArt of my concern is that I am just being paranoid, but I am also sort of freaked that there is an anuerysm and it could burst at anytime. I have a full physical examination with my doctor on the 22th of november but that seems like such a long time.

Last edited by Max420; 11-12-2004 at 09:39 PM.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: pulsing abdomen?

If this pain worries you to the point of panic, I would talk to my family physician today, or go to one of the walk-in medical clinics that are open on weekends. They are well trained in finding abdominal aortic aneurysms, by examining your abdomen and feeling for a "pulsatile mass left of the midline". Your pain/problem needs to be checked out by a doctor.

Here is some non-copyrighted info:

Approximately 75 percent of abdominal aortic aneurysms are asymptomatic and are detected during routine physical examination or during an unrelated radiologic or surgical procedure.

Symptoms of abdominal aortic aneurysm may result from expansion or rupture of the aneurysm, pressure on adjacent structures, embolization or thrombosis. The most commonly reported symptom is any type of abdominal, flank or back pain. Pressure on adjacent viscera may result in compression of the bowel.

The abrupt onset of severe, constant pain in the abdomen, flank or back, unrelieved by positional changes, is characteristic of expansion or rupture of the aneurysm. The cause of pain related to expansion of the aneursym is poorly understood but may be related to the stretching of the layers of the aortic wall, putting pressure on adjacent somatic nerves.

B-mode ultrasound is the screening method of choice for asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysms. It is available in most hospitals, is relatively inexpensive (about $150 per examination), does not require ionizing radiation, reveals details of the vessel wall and associated atherosclerotic plaques and allows accurate measurement of the aneurysm in both longitudinal and transverse dimensions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #3

Max420 HB User

The pain is never really constant, it goes away then comes back, the pain in my back as well never really seems constant. My question is, the pain caused by an anuerysm (when its not asymptomatic) is it constant pain that isn't releived my shifting positions?

Cause the pain I experience seems to get better as I stand up and move around. I can walk quite a long distance with no pain. However I will make an appointment with my physician as soon as I can to speak to him about my fear, if only to get peace of mind. Hopefully its nothing or something not so serious and I will at least have peace of mind.

Last edited by Max420; 11-13-2004 at 01:49 PM.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
(male)

parabellum HB User

is the pain pulsating with the heartbeat? or is it independant of heartbeat?

Old 07-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

happybunny HB User

Surely everyone's abdomen pulsates in time with their heartbeat just as a fact of existence. I sort of assume it, as mine has done all my life and I am nearly 55, I am slim and so maybe am more aware of it than many. I have just lain down on the floor next to my comp and tested! It reminds me that I am fit and OK, all working well.

Running down the back of the abdomen is the huge blood vessel that supplies the lower body and the legs - and they need a huge supply of oxygen when we are active. This vessel pulsates as any other artery does - only this one is BIG.

Compare the small artery in the wrist - that is supplying just the hand. Yet the pulse can be felt there when it is compressed. Then think about how much more blood the legs and pelvic organs etc. need when we are running about - man, that has got to be a more pounding pulse in the vessel supplying all that. It's the rhythm of life. Love it.

From what I understand one would not usually know about an aortic aneurysm unless it was detected by other means. If one has one and it ruptures then one would be really VERY ill and would not be in doubt about that.

I think it can be worrying if we suddenly become aware of a physical sensation. Try not to worry. I used to say to my kids it's not the things you worry about that usually end up as being what really clobbers you in life - it's the sneaky things that suddenly zap you and take you by surprise and that you never even got a chance to worry about! If you have health risks then maybe take this chance to lessen them. Weight, diet, exercise, relaxation issues. Maybe it's a good time to review your life and take a step to a more healthy happy lifestyle.

Maybe you could get exercises to help your lower back - chances are that that is more likely to be musculo-skeletal. If you can't see a physio then keeping up the regular relaxed walking could keep things moving, and try not to sit for too long. Change from sitting/ walking/standing/lying as often as you can and don't maintain one activity for too long if possible. This will help your lower back. Maybe assess your position/posture when seated, try firm chairs, extra support from cushions? As human beings we are not very well designed for sitting and modern chairs do not help.

All the best. Annie.

Last edited by happybunny; 07-03-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Closed Thread