It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 11:21 PM   #1

AugustPt1 HB User
PFO closure

So today I was suppose to have surgery to fix the PFO in my heart but yesterday when they did the TEE to double check the size and location of the hole they weren't able to find the hole so they didn't do it. This was the third TEE they've done so far and the first two times they had no problems finding the hole. Does anyone know why they might not find the hole this time or what could possibly be going on?

Old 11-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: PFO closure

AugustPt1

3D TEE is more accurate than 2D Tee. Do you know what type you had? I have read that the accuracy of the test and results, depends upon the skill of the operator. Some of the operators are cardiac anesthesiologists, and they learn how to do this procedure at seminars, and later take a test to become qualified.

I have read that sometimes there are artifacts in the images. I believe that they use one of a couple of techniques to increase the pressure inside the right atrium, in order for the flap to open, and enable them to see, or locate the hole. Normally the pressure is higher in the left atrium, and keeps the flap sealed off, or the hole closed. Maybe they had problems increasing the pressure inside the right atrium ???

Were you going to have the catheter based repair, or conventional surgery? What kind of problems has the PFO caused you? Sorry to be nosy. I know that when they cause problems, a stroke can occur. I wish you the best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2004, 11:29 PM   #3

AugustPt1 HB User
Re: PFO closure

I'm not sure if the test was 3D or 2D and they were planning on fixing it with the catheter based repair. I don't remember anything while they were doing it since I was under but my mother was there and she said the cardiologists doing the test (when one of them couldn't find the hole he had another come in) seemed as though they were in a big hurry to get somewhere else so I was wondering if they possibly just rushed themselves so fast they didn't do something right.

So far I've had two TIAs since August which my doctor deemed a result of the PFO.

Closed Thread