It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

leeanne172 HB User
How to sleep? :(

I was diagnosed with aortic stenosios and I have an appt with a cardio Dr next month to start tests to see if it requires surgery but my question is how do I get some decent sleep? It seems that everytime I lie down my heart just starts pounding, not a panic attack but just a constant pounding and when it does this I just cannot stay still. I'm sure some others who have this condition must understand what I am talking about, is there a trick or tip or anything I can try so I can lie down and just sleep?

ack!!

Thanks

Old 11-17-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: How to sleep? :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeanne172
I was diagnosed with aortic stenosios and I have an appt with a cardio Dr next month to start tests to see if it requires surgery but my question is how do I get some decent sleep? It seems that everytime I lie down my heart just starts pounding, not a panic attack but just a constant pounding and when it does this I just cannot stay still. I'm sure some others who have this condition must understand what I am talking about, is there a trick or tip or anything I can try so I can lie down and just sleep?

ack!!

Thanks
Once you lie down, and your heart starts pounding, does it continue to pound all night long, regardless of whether or not you get out of bed?

Once your heart starts pounding, how long does it continue to pound?

Does the pounding keep going regardless of whether or not you sleep on your right side of your left side or your back?

Do you get the pounding EVERY night, or, sometimes, can you sleep all night without the pounding?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
(male)

lelu HB User

Not sure I understand what you mean by pounding? I remember hearing nothing until after I had valve replacement due to aortic stenosis.
Afterwords I could hear the mechanical valve closing, especially at night when laying on my side up next to my wife. I soon become accustom to this new noise.

The only sound I had before surgery was the whoosh sound due to blood being forced through the constricted aortic valve. One would have to place their ear to my heart to hear the sound or use a stethoscope.

BTW, I was diagnosis with aortic stenosis ten years before it required surgery.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

I have multiple congenital heart defects; sometimes when I am laying quietly trying to go to sleep I become aware of the sensations of my heart. It might be 'skipped beats' or 'pounding' or 'seem faster than it should be.' Unfortunately I don't have any real tricks to tell you except to wear loose/comfortable clothes, especially nothing constricting around the chest/neck area, use light-weight sheets/blankets for cover, sleep on a firm mattress, and experiment with positions that make it seem more or less noticeable. The problem is, you are noticing the pounding at night when you are not concentrating on other things and it (understandably) concerns you, which makes you anxious, which makes it worse, which makes you notice it even more... Perhaps you could also try listening to soft music or a 'white noise' machine to take your mind off of it. I don't know if you are the religious type but I am a Christian so when I was a little kid and my heart would 'feel funny' (palpitations) while I was laying in bed it actually comforted me to place my hand on my chest and contemplate the miracle of life that God created in me.

Old 11-21-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
(female)

leeanne172 HB User

Thank you for the responses

Since I ask the question I have started drinking a cup of tea a couple of hours before bed which seems to relax me quite a bit but I also don't think it is helping that I am nervous about my cardio appt on Dec 7th .. everyone tells me not to be but it is really something I can't control because I am nervous.

No the pounding is not everyday but it does happen at least 3 times a week, I don't know how else to descibe it, it just feels like my heart is going to jump out of my chest and my heart rate feels like it must be doubled. It is hard to sleep when this happens because I just constantly toss and turn trying to relax the feeling but like I have said a cup of tea seems to work

Thanks again for the responses

Closed Thread