It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Inactive

ralve HB User
PVC's

Hi all~~
I come on here often to read the posts, and they help so much, knowing there are some people out there who have the same thing! I have PVC's all day long, and sometimes it gets so hard to deal with. I never know if it's a dangerous thing or not. I've been having them for about 15 years now, and they have gotten progressively worse. Sometimes, I go about my day, and don't notice them too much, but on a day like today, it's like I can tell I'm having one about every five beats or so cause it makes me feel anxious, and I can feel them sometimes, like it's harder or something sometimes. I thought it might be related somehow to hormones, but I'm 45, and kind of already went through the menopause thing (I think!) Anyway, I was just wondering, for ease of mind, if any of you ever get them that often, like every few beats? I've been to the doctors, and frankly, I really don't think they know what to do about these things. They certainly don't know why I get them. The last time I went, the cardiologist just kind of said to try to loose some weight, I guess I'm about 30 pounds overweight or so, and that was it. He knows I don't want to go on medication for them, I've been on a couple different ones, and they might help for a while, only to have the PVC's come back even stronger. I don't like the side effects of the medication, and as long as I know these things are not life threatening, then I'd rather deal with them myself. I do notice that they seem worse if I haven't gotten enough sleep, or if I eat a large meal, especially hot food (anyone notice that?) I just wonder sometimes if they might be getting more life threatening as I get older. I get kind of complacent about them sometimes, I guess I get used to having them, and then sometimes sit back and think maybe that's a dangerous way to think. It's like, if I have had so many thousands of them and I'm not dead yet, I guess it's not that dangerous. Anyway, thanks for any help! Val

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User
Re: PVC's

i know how you feel, i have had them for 4 years now and im only 22. what did your cardio have to say about them? Do you have them checked up every so often? im gonna tell you from experiance that i do notice them sometimes too....but only when i think about them. They sometimes happen every 3rd beat when im at work doing stock...prolly from the box resedue. but i honestly think that you have to keep your heart in shape and they should not be very noticable, even if you have them a lot, i live my life well even with this. take it from me, im still young and so are you, take your meds and just forget about them, live your life and you will be happy

Old 11-17-2004, 10:01 PM   #3

KarenBeth HB User

Do you drink any caffiene or smoke? I heard that makes them worse. I have PVC's, and I never ever use to have them before, but since my AFIB attack in FEB of this year and going on TOPROL 50mg, I have had them off and on. I will have a day when I get them all day, and I will have a day when I don't get any at all... they have a mind of it's own. I could be resting and get them, I could be driving and get one.. I get them more around that time of the month.. I don't know what yor situation is, but do know you are not alone. PVC's in a healthy heart are benign, they are not harmful to the heart, they cause nothing but just WORRY on anyone who has them. I don't think DR's really understand what we feel and go through.. I mean it stops you in your track sometimes and it's hard NOT to worry about it. I know a guy who is 62 years old and he has had them since he was 17 years old, so he is ok.. just try and relax and not let it get to you.. when you have one, just kinda say "oh ok, your back" heheh it kinda puts humor into it.. I know this one woman who got them so often that when they stopped happening she thought something was wrong with her, imagine that.. it came a part of her life that when they stopped she thought something was wrong with her heart.. funny huh?

everyone here is great, that's the best support anyone can have.. if it makes you feel any better, the DR at the ER told me that 80% of the population in the united states suffer from PVC's, some people don't feel them, some do.. we are just the unlucky ones who do feel them.

I hope you get some releif!

Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 AM   #4
(female)

chetah340 HB User

I lost weight about 40lbs and I still have them. I wasn't overweight when I got them so I do not think that's why they start out of nowhere. I started getting mine at 15 and it's been almost 3 years and I've just gotten used to them but everynow and then one will startle me but they haven't affected my overall health at all. I do have to agree with Yugokid, just keep your heart in the best shape possible and you shouldn't have to worry too much at all.

It seems like everyone here with pvcs sees the same doctor who doesn't get it!

Old 11-18-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi all~~
Thank you all so much for the information and for being so supportive!! I feel so much better just knowing that I'm not the only one in the world that gets these things so bad. I can really relate to that one story about the woman who really noticed when they went away, that is exactly me. If I am ever having a good day, or even a good few hours, I really notice it, and it feels so different. It's like I get used to my heart jumping every few beats. As I sit here and type, I would say I am at least having one every 20 beats or so, and that is pretty good.
My problem, when they really bother me, is when I consistently have them every five beats or so, and especially hard ones. It seems like when they come that frequently, then they also are harder, like my heart is especially irritated. The only thing I've ever been able to associate them with is some kind of hormonal thing, since they seem to be worse at certain times in the month, but you come on these boards, and lots of men have them also.
I had one episode (that was caught) of atrial fib, and at that point, I started getting a little more attention from the doctor, and he put me on an aspirin a day. Since then, I've had no more of those episodes, at least that are caught, but the PVC's have remained. It was the strangest thing.....these started about 15 years ago, when I was thirty, just out of the blue one day. Then, about 3 years ago, I had one really, really bad summer, where the PVC's really increased, and at that point, I also had thought I had finished menopause (kind of early). But, the correlation seemed obvious, after my last cycle, then it was like....boom....the PVC's went away completely. I would say for at least a year, I didn't have any that I felt. This is why, when they started up again, out of the blue, it started with maybe a few a day, but I was really getting the panic attacks and anxiety about it, because it had been so long since I had them. Now, after going through tests, and just over time, they have increased to the point where they are just part of my life now.
I remember when I used to get one, my whole body would jump, and now it's like amazing what your body will get used to, because I just live with them now. I often think that if someone who has never really experienced what I have could exchange bodies with me, they would think they were dying. I will talk to my Mom, for instance, and she will act nervous, saying that in bed or something, she felt her heart go up her throat once, and I will think, wow, that is nothing!
Anyway, sorry to go on and on there, this board is such therapy!! Thanks again sooo much for all the information, I can't tell you enough how I appreciate it!!! Thanks again, Val

Old 11-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
Inactive

ralve HB User

OOOPS....sorry.....just one more thing!! (Actually, two!!) In answer to the question, no, I do not smoke, hardly ever drink, and don't drink any beverages containing caffeine. I do give in to chocolate sometimes, but I feel like if I'm having them every few beats anyway, I should enjoy some chocolate now and then! I do notice they get worse after I eat, especially a large or very hot meal.
One other question, have any of you had doctors that thought you should be on aspirin for PVC's? I know my doctor said I should have the aspirin per day a few years ago because of that episode of atrial fib, but I was wondering if PVC's pose a similiar threat of stroke. The doctor kind of acted like I could go on a baby aspirin last time I saw him, he didn't really seem like he had much of an opinion on it one way or the other. I also have acid reflux really bad, so I was wondering if the aspirin might be making that worse.
OK...sorry....I just forgot to post those things! Thanks, Val

Old 11-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
(female)

chetah340 HB User

Sometimes my heart will jump very hard and it seems like it stops for a long beat before it beats normally again. Most times it only jumps 'lightly' if that's possible. I have no clue why it does this. I don't know if it's common or what because my docotr doesn't know either. I'm not on any medicactions for my pvcs because my doctor says they aren't harmful to me.

Glad I could help you!

Old 11-19-2004, 03:58 PM   #8

KarenBeth HB User

Val,

Funny you should mention that because I had an AFIB attack back in February. It was due to high caffiene and low potassium levels that caused it to happen.. my DR put me on 2 baby asprin a day just in case it should ever happen again. He didn't put you on Asprin because of the PVC's, it's to keep you safe in cause you should ever have another afib attack, because when you are in AFIB your heart quivers and causes blood to pool, so that keeps your blood from not creating a clot JUST in case you should ever have afib again.. it's called LONE AFIB.. I only had one incident of afib and I have had on and off PVC's for 2 months now.

I also have a hard time dealing with PVC's sometimes... I will have a couple at night and that's it, or I will have them all day like a couple every hour.. it's annoying.. I guess I shouldn't complain seeing someone deals with this like every 5 or so beats.. I could not handle that well..

Val, are you on medication for the PVC's.. I am on Toprol and it worked for a while but the DR just changed me to Sectral.. he told me he has patients who said sectral really helps for the PVC's.. what meds did your dR put you on to help with these PVC's?

Old 11-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi~~and thanks again for all the help! I was put, if I can remember the names that is, on Zebeta one time, and that actually seemed to help for a while, and then all of a sudden, my heart seemed really irritated again, and I didn't like that feeling and being on medication at the same time, so I went off. I had read several studies that said that the mortality rate is actually higher for people on medication, and that you shouldn't go on it, if there is any way you can deal with them on your own, especially if they are not life-threatening, of course. Every single heart arrythmia medication out there has the potential for serious side effects, some of them being more dangerous than the PVC's themselves, so I try to avoid it. One time, it was Zebeta, and then another time it was called Tenormin (I think that spelling is right). With one of them, and I can't remember which one it is, I ended up in the ER, with really, really bad palpitations, and the people in the ER said it seemed like it might have been a drug sensitivity, because my heart was acting very irritable. Not that it's not that way now, I guess it just seems more dangerous to be on a medication that could be affecting you that way.
I actually need to go back to the doctor, and ask a lot of questions. I take a regular (325 mg) bayer aspirin per day, just to be safe. I need to know if that is really necessary, but it makes me feel better.
As long as I am in my "safe place" and home, the PVC's are things I can handle, sort of. But, they do bother me alot when I am far from home, or not near any kind of help. But, I really am getting used to them, and just kind of go about my life with them. I remember, years ago, how much this board helped me. I had just started getting them, so was really still pretty panicked about them, and we had a family trip to Disneyworld planned, and I couldn't imagine going, and coming on here was what helped me to go, and have a good time. So, this board has made all the difference in the world to me and my family.
One thing that seems to help is just accepting them, try not to fight them. Don't be worried about when the next one will come, just accept that they are there. It sounds kind of stupid, but it's true, I remember mornings when I would get out of bed, practically walking on eggshells waiting for one, thinking that, ok, if I get one, then I'm going to have them all day....and now, I just know I'm going to have them, and ignore them as much as I can.
In my experience, any supplements that I have tried to take just seem to aggravate them. The one thing that does seem to help calm them down, and at least not be as hard, is drinking lots of cold water. I take bottled water everywhere. I like to drink really good water, make sure it's good bottled water, I just starting drinking that FIJI water, and it's very pure, it's artesian water, and I looked it up, and found that type of water is like the cadillac of drinking bottled water, so things like that make you feel good. It has something to do with how they bottle it, it never touches the ground, because it's drilled out of the rocks (which is why it's called artesian), and I have no idea why I'm going on and on, sorry about that.....just kind of thinking and typing away about things that have helped me.
Do any of you notice an increase after a large meal, or a hot meal? I really notice that. Well, thanks again for the help!!!! Val

Old 11-21-2004, 02:54 AM   #10
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

hii.. I began having Pvcs after the birth of my son. I was 21, and I actually would wake at night gasping for air.. they didnt diag. me till I was 28. With Prolapsed mitral valve 'syndrome" where by my heart and brain dont work in sync. I was on sectrol a long time, now on metoprolol.
When ever I get sick my heart alerts me "something is going on " long before my throat hurts or I have other symptoms. I too have 'reflux' and my cardiologyst said that is common when their is 'heart things' going on.
I have increased Pvcs before my periods, when ill, overly tired, to much caffine/ chocolate, after a large meal, and also if I lay flat to sleep. (hypo something)
When all this came about it seems when I tried to rest it would really skip like every 3rd beat, One time I had to breath into a paper bag due to hyperventilation. (which i keep on hand). I asked my Dr. what else I could do he said when it happens walk around, get the heart rythem going ..and to always sleep semi propped up and never after eatting.
I will also say last summer my pvs where so constant I was exhausted, (every 3rd to 4th beat)I had some leg swelling, My dr. felt something could be "setted on my valves or just irritating my heart so he put me on an antibiotic for 14 days..MAN what a difference, within 2 days I had maybe 2 or three all day!! I havent since had it get to that point of so many "chain" pvs.
Now I have an antibiotic perscription with me at all times, I call him before I fill it, but since Im out of town allot it was important to me to know I had it avalible to fill and start till I got back home.
I use to think I would die alone somewhere because it use to scare me so. Im now 45 and even now it will rattle me if Im alone. Just wanted to share...

Old 11-21-2004, 03:15 AM   #11
(female)

sunshine153843 HB User
Smile Re: PVC's

Good Morning Or should I say good night its 330 am and i couldnt sleep so i was reading the post you had. Im 43 and I have pcv all the time too. At first I thought I was dying and sometimes I even passed out when I got them. But After seeing I the doctor and having a whole battery of test He told me is was just my nerves and depression that was causing it. He put me on something called enderial and it has stopped them from being so frequent. But I still get them a couple times a day but not as frequent as before. I was told to stay away from things with caffeine in them and that would help too. And it really has. I also found that on days when I 'm nervous or anxious they are more frequent. This has been going on for about 10 years now and Im still sround so I guess the Dr knew what he was talking about . Hope you have a happy day

Old 11-22-2004, 06:25 AM   #12

stixx HB User

yea this place has been great for me, just realizing that there are other people going through the same thing i am has been a godsend

thanks to everyone for thier support and for sharing their storeis!!

Old 11-23-2004, 02:28 AM   #13
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

No hon you aren't alone, I have mostly PAC's but PVC attacks sometimes as well, a heart murmur from a congenital atrial septal defect, I just recently discovered this board but it is nice knowing I'm not alone either. I'm twenty four but when I was a kid no one expected me to live past twelve so I'm just greatful to be here. I guess through the years palpitations and PAC/PVC's are just things I've accepted as part of me; over and over the tests have shown that it's not dangerous and it isn't harming anything. They said they could do surgery in my case to close the ASD, which would theoretically eliminate the symptoms, but IMHO it's too risky of a proceedure for something I've learned to live with. It can be real scary sometimes that's for sure. Like when it seems to be every other beat for five minutes or longer, or when when you get so many so close together that you can't even feel a normal heartbeat in between. For me the worst is when I get a whole bunch in a row and then it just goes away as abruptly as it started and there is that horrible "pause" that seems to be eternally long before there's another beat; I know it can't be more than a fraction of a second in reality but that doesn't help when it's happening and it feels like your heart is stopped. I think the key is to not get anxious about it, easier said than done, but I know the more worried I get about it the worse it gets and that ends up starting a cycle that is hard to break. Laying flat on my back in a dark room and taking slow deep breaths, concentrating on counting my breathing instead of concentrating on my heart seems to help. I like to lay on the floor instead of the bed but that's just what works for me. I think it's probably the relaxation-technique of deep breathing, and the fact that I'm concentrating on something else, that breaks the anxiety cycle. The laying down in the dark room just helps me get in that frame of mind. Another thing I've done that sometimes works is to lay on my stomach accross my bed with my head, arms, and shoulders hanging down off the edge touching the floor, I don't know if it has something to do with the blood-flow to the brain tricking my body back into behaving itself or what but it works LOL. That only works if I'm not really worrying about it though. Sometimes I just ignore it and it goes away, sometimes I do that trick to make it go away because I'm about to go somewhere and I just don't want to be dealing with it in a public place if I can help it, but sometimes it does start to freak me out. It ain't easy but we're making it right girl? And hey, you've given me inspiration... sometimes I look at the future and think, my God, what is the rest of my life going to be like. But when I see people older and wiser than me who have made it, that really comforts me.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:02 PM   #14
Inactive

ralve HB User

That's great, and see, I come on here and always learn something!! I will try those positions, I do notice that sometimes the way I'm sitting or laying will make them worse. Sometimes it seems to be associated with extra gas or air in the stomach, because I will get them really bad after eating, and then feel like they might calm down a bit when the food digests. One thing also seems to help, is just to get active and go out for a walk. I don't know if it's the distraction of the walk, or my heart rate going up, or maybe a combination of the two, but it seems to help. I had a nuclear stress test when I lived in Reno, Nevada, and it was weird, I was having palpitations through the whole test, and then when it came time to do the treadmill part, and get my heart rate up, the PVC's pretty much dissappeared. They came back as soon as my heart rate came down again. The doctor seemed to think this was actually a good thing, that the reverse scenario would have been a bad thing. I think I need to get back in and have an echo, though, because it's been quite a few years since I've had one of those, and I worry about changes that might have occured.
My Father died of sudden death a little over two years ago, and maybe that could have something to do with my increased PVC's, I think of that after I read the post where you said that the doctor said that anxiety and dperession can cause them, and I've certainly had that since my Dad died. He had something really rare, he was very, very healthy, and even a runner, and started getting swollen ankles, and shortness of breath. The doctors could never figure out what was wrong with him, and he was only about a week away from having a heart biopsy, when he passed away on the couch with my Mom. They think he might have had an infiltrative heart condition, it's called Amyloidosis, I'm sure most of you have never heard of it, it's really rare, especially in the USA. It's some kind of protein in your blood, that will stick to different organs, and cause that organ to fail. So, he was having some heart arrythmias at the time, and then led to this. So, maybe my focus is on my heart, who knows. But, I've been having palpitations since I was about 30, about 15 years now.
Well, thanks for listening, and thanks again to all of you for the help!! I really can't tell you enough how it helps! All I can do in return is try to let you know of things that have maybe helped me, just kind of a trial and error thing. One thing that really helps, is to try to live with them, accept them, and don't fight them so much. That's not to say that you shouldn't try to get rid of them, but just think of it as a normal part of the heart rhythm, think of it as if your heart was meant to do it, because really they are not dangerous unless you have some underlying other heart condition causing them, and that is rare, usually it's in much older people.
Thanks again, talk to you all again soon! Val

Old 11-23-2004, 10:37 PM   #15
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Quote:
when it came time to do the treadmill part, and get my heart rate up, the PVC's pretty much dissappeared. They came back as soon as my heart rate came down again. The doctor seemed to think this was actually a good thing, that the reverse scenario would have been a bad thing.
I was told the same thing once years ago during a test, if I remember correctly (someone might check the facts on this?) the explanation was that PVCs/PACs that are correlated with increased heart rate, are more likely to cause episodes of tachychardia which can be dangerous and in rare cases lead to fibrillation. On the other hand if the PVCs/PACs are correlated with decreased heartrate, that is much less likely. On their own, without underlying problems, PVCs & PACs are usually harmless.

Closed Thread