It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User
Toprol vs. Altace for HBP

Hello, I would like to hear from those who take Toprol for high blood pressure. My cardiologist has perscribed this for me. It's 50mg. I currently take Altace and im happy with it because it has few side effects. Im just wondering about Toprol and it's effectiveness and side effects. I certainly dont want to take it if it could cause me problems.

Thank You!

Old 11-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: Toprol vs. Altace for HBP

I take ToprolXL 25mg and don't notice any real side effects. I've heard good about Altace though and have heard that it has fewer side effects. When I first started on Toprol 3 years ago I felt pretty tired from it, but honestly I don't know for sure that it was the Toprol or just from going through bypass surgery and the other meds that I was on at the time. As of now I really can't say that I have any bad side effects at all. My brother takes 100mg and at first he felt pretty wiped out. Now he has even adjusted to the large dose and does fine with it. It does a good job keeping his bp in a good range. I personally have never had high blood pressure. The toprol was prescribed for me after my bypass to take some of the load off the bypass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Is Toprol a beta blocker???

Old 11-16-2004, 05:33 PM   #4

Kine HB User

Toprol is indeed a beta blocker. I don't think low doses cause much of a problem - it's the higher doses that seem to cause problems (lethargy and exercise intolerance for me, at least).

Old 11-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

See I am only 20 years old. I really hate to start taking a beta blocker. Intially what happened was, my cardiologist told me to discontinue taking Altace and taking the pescription he was holding. He then gave it to the nurse and he left the room. I didnt see the name of it. I asked her if whatever he perscribed was a beta blocker. I explained to her that I didnt want to take a beta blocker. She leaves and comes back a few minutes later and says the perscription was a beta blocker, so since I didnt want to take it, the doctor wrote a new one for another medicine and it was Toprol and that's a beta blocker!! I had no idea he just gave me another beta blocker when I said I didnt want to take one of those.

I really dont have alot of PVC's. He said my heart looks great, no problems.. there is no way im switching to a new medicine now.

When you a high dose, how high is it? Is 50mg high?

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 11-16-2004 at 05:49 PM.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I suppose a better question to ask is this,

For a 20 year old male, would it be better to take Toprol or Altace? The Toprol dosage is 50mg.

Occasionally I feel some abnormal heart beats and weird sensations. Would it be better to take Toprol for that as well as blood pressure?

I really hate to have to take either one. The cause of my high blood pressure is undetermined. An ultrasound of kidney detected a mass, but a CT scan showed nothing there. The cardiologist did say my heart looks great though and something else is causing my problems.

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 11-16-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I don't know which is better to take but if you have high blood pressure it really needs to be treated. I wouldn't consider 50mg to be a high dose. I believe 25mg is the lowest dose you can buy and it's scored so that you can easily divide it. I know that the 100mg dose has got my brothers hbp under control. The beta blocker should also help with those crazy beats.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:52 PM   #8

KarenBeth HB User

I am on Toprol XL 50mg, and I am fine on it, they upped me to 100mg and I was a WRECK! Depression and anxiety on 100mg, they put me back to 50mg and I am fine..

50mg is still considered a low dose.. I dont know why he wants you to change if what you are taking is working for you..

Old 11-18-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

My family doctor is the one who perscribed Altace. I saw a cardiologist and he perscribed Toprol. I left a message for my family doctor to call me. I want to see what he says about which one I should take. Unfortunately he hasnt called me back yet. I get the idea he thinks I am crazy for seeing him so many times yet he finds nothing wrong. I was so sick for months on end and no doctor could find the problem.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I am also on Topral 50mg. It works good for me. It does control my blood pressure and my fast heartbeats I use to get. Goood luck to you. 50mg is a lower dose of it.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Thank You for the info. Im glad to hear it works for you. I called my family doctor to ask about Toprol. He didnt give me alot of input but said it was okay for me to take. Im gonna go ahead and start Toprol soon.

Old 11-23-2004, 01:51 AM   #12
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

If your doctor isn't getting your input on treatment options and actually listening to them (i.e. prescribing you a beta blocker when you specifically stated that is not what you wanted, without telling you that it was a beta blocker, and without explaining why he feels you need a beta blocker over your objections), then it's time to find a new doctor. I'm 24 and my doctor wanted me to undergo invasive surgery to correct a ASD that isn't dangerous or causing harmful effects. I told him to take a long walk off a short pier and found a new doctor.

Closed Thread