It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 11:44 PM   #1

unluckeyfireman HB User
Question Maybe heart problem, maybe something else?

OK I just posted on another topic that my doctor said I am fine. He did say I am fine, no heart problems. BUT I want other opinions. Something has to be wrong I just dont know what. I'm 24, 200 pounds, active.
About a month and a half ago, I got sick, (just cough, runny nose, etc)
I was diagnosed with Asthma when I was young, hasnt bothered me since then unless I am sick. This time was typical, no problems breathing, I just get a little bit of tightness in the chest, extra mucus in my lungs, but not too bad.
I use that Primatine Mist inhaler, and it goes away instantly. Then I am fine for about a day, maybe take it again once, then it gradually goes away on its own for good again.
But this time, It wont go away for good. And when I lay down, it feels like my heart skips a beat, and Its weird, I think I have shortness of breath, but its not that I cant take a deep breath or get enough air, its like I cant let all the air out. Then if I take that inhaler (I try to stay away from it as much as I can) it goes away instantly. Or if I can stand it and fall asleep without the inhaler, when I wake up I am fine.
I was getting what I could call very very slight chest pain just for a few seconds or so, not too often too, but it was like I couldnt tell if it was chest pain, or if it was in my arm, or what. But it was so slight and it almost felt like my elbow but I couldnt tell. Its weird to have pain that you cant tell what is causing it. But if I took a deep breath the slight pain was gone and didnt come back for quite a while. That completely gone now. It was almost like a burning maybe, very slight. I asked the doc, he said "if you were having a heart attack or heart related chest pain, you'd know it" but I dont agree with that.
I get a strong tightening in my chest too, but not associated with any pain then. These arent constant, I live my life as normal. It just scares me, and makes me wonder what is going on. It is getting much better, went from happening 2x a day, to happening only maybe 3 times a week now. The weird part is, if it happens, if I get up and go maybe run, or do exercise for a little bit, the tightness in chest and shortness of breath goes away and I can breath fine. Then I cough up some stuff (nothing bad looking) and its totally gone for a while. And no, I am not crazy at all, these are the exact symptoms. Somebody suggested Panic attacks, but I really have no worries, I am not stressed out at all, never have been, I run a business but I love it, I wouldnt call it stress. And when these start to happen, its usually that I am not thinking about it at all, then I notice the tightness a little, then gets worse, then will go away. Could someone have panic attacks but not actually caused by worrying about anything?
I mean it doesnt stop me from doing things, but it sure is very noticable and very uncomfortable when it happens. By the way, BP is fine, (usually 115 over 75 average) even while this is happening, pulse is about 70. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The thing that confuses me is that it goes away when I exercise. I guess if it was a heart problem or asthma it would get worse then?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: Maybe heart problem, maybe something else?

If it was a heart problem exercising should make it worse not better. The comment that the doctor made about how you would know if it was heart pain. You are correct in not totally agreeing with that. Heart pain can be easy to ignore. I know because I did it and even joked about it once saying gosh I hope that's not my heart. When it gets bad enough that you can't ignore and you think you are going to die then you are pretty sure it might be your heart, but even then I think you question whether it's actually your heart. Which would explain why people wait too long to call for help when having a heart attack.
If you don't feel comfortable with what your doctor is telling you then seek out a second opinion. Alot of what you described as helping with the pain makes it sound like it's not heart related.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:08 PM   #3

naes HB User

Bronchitis? Check out the symptoms.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

redneck_angel HB User

But this time, It wont go away for good. And when I lay down, it feels like my heart skips a beat, and Its weird, I think I have shortness of breath, but its not that I cant take a deep breath or get enough air, its like I cant let all the air out

those are exactly the same words i told my doc ( 5th doc tho ) he ordered tests for mt asthma nd he also checked for emphysema ( lung disease caused by smokeing but not always) and he diagnosed me with COPD ask ur doctor to test u , and remember its ur body and ur health dont let him just dismisse it or say no cant be,, like i said its ur health and body so if he give u a hard time about do as i did DEMAND IT....
please let me know how it turns out
Good luck

Old 12-12-2004, 02:13 PM   #5

-T- HB User

It sounds to me like you have a lung infection. I had exactly the same symptoms when I had a lung infection and odd little stabbing pains are not unheard of. I'd ask your doctor for dome Cefolaxin or Amoxacillin and see if this helps.

I dont think its heart related hun. It definitely sounds asthma related.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Primatine Mist can also cause palpitations in some people so that might be part of the issue?

Closed Thread