It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #1

PJG HB User
Thallium Stress Test

I am scheduled for a thallium stress test tomorrow. I am so out of shape that I don't think I can walk very long on a treadmill. I was thinking of asking the dr. if they could give me medication to speed up my heart instead of walking on the treadmill. Has anyone had this done and how was it? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: Thallium Stress Test

I have had the nuclear stress test done both ways. Honestly for me the treadmill was easier. The adenosine stress test which is what they give you when aren't able for some reason to walk on the treadmill makes you feel like you've done a great deal of exercise and all you are doing is laying on a table with electrodes stuck to you. It made me feel short of breath and made my chest feel very full like it was pushed out. My test came out normal so I don't know what it would feel like if there was a problem. I do believe at the time I did have some narrowing in an artery that just wasn't picked up by the test. Normally the adenosine stress test would be given in cases such as if you had bad knees or like in my case where I already had a stent and the symptoms I was having indicated that I might have a severe blockage. The treadmill test was tiring and I worked up a pretty good sweat, but I never got to the point that I could go no further. I guess it just depends on what shape you are in when you go for the test. I was a 41 year old woman with no other health problems and was pretty active.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #3

lfjbear HB User

I have had both types of tests. I certainly prefer the treadmill. I thought with the injection I would exlpode. Don't worry about the treadmill, they won't make you go past your limit of what you can do. Good Luck.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #4

PJG HB User

Thanks so much for your replies. I guess I will try to do the treadmill.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:34 AM   #5

lfjbear HB User

PJG how did you make out with your stress test? I Hope Fine.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #6

PJG HB User

Thanks for asking. I did pretty well. I decided to walk on the treadmill and did reach past my target heart rate. I will find out the results next week. No pain on the treadmill so I guess that's a good sign.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #7

lfjbear HB User

I am glad you did well. Good Luck with your results. I would love to know. I am facing an operation on the 30th to put in a defibullator. So I have been through alot of the tests. Right now I am wearing a King of Hearts Monitor until the surgery.

Closed Thread