For the past 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks Ive had random heart pains in my chest. Mostly when Im doing something. I dont know if this is just a cold or if something is wrong. If you can please help me out or give me some things to try to see if it is anything major, please let me know. Im real scared. Also, I am 15 years of age (B-Day tomarrow actually) and I am 5 foot 10 and weigh about 190 pounds, if that helps any. It all started 2 weeks ago I didnt feel well and begin having shortness of breath etc. etc. and then minor coughing. A week later all I had left was the chest pain. Could this also be panic attacks? ( I have been a bit stressful) or is this major?
Last edited by SoulVision; 11-17-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Come on guys please, do you need any more info. or something? Im really scared, please help with anything you can...If you have any questions about me that can help you figure out whats wrong, just ask...
For the past 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks Ive had random heart pains in my chest.
You can take your pulse by placing the tips of your fingers on your wrist, down from your thumb. Your pulse should be steady and somewhere around 72 beats per minute. Do you ever feel your heart skip a beat, jump or race?
Most drug stores and some super markets have blood pressure machines available. You could take your own blood pressure. It should be somewhere around 120/80. The machines also provide your pulse rate.
Do you get shortness of breath when you are feeling the chest pains? Shortness of breath can be because of heart problems, or because of Asthma, among other things.
Is there a nurse at your school? Why not pop in, tell her what you are experiencing and ask her to take you blood pressure and check your pulse?
If you get "cramping"-type pains in the chest, you should see a doctor and get an ECG (EKG) done. Does the pain extend beyond the chest ? Eg arms, shoulders. Pain in the chest area needs some investigation by a medical practioner. Shortness of breath also needs looking at of course.You say you get the pain "when doing something". Could you have pulled a muscle ? There are a lot of possible explanations and only a doctor can ask you the "right" questions to establish the cause of the pain etc. Do you know any relaxation exercises. If so, do these, don't panic thinking the worst, but SEE A DOCTOR !
Thanks for the help so far guys. I will try to find out my heart-rate tomarrow, and as for the shortness of breath, sometimes it does, but sometimes while breathing in I get the heart-pains again. I used to have asthma (had an attack at around the age of 6) but I have not even had serious problems with it since then, my doc even took me off the inhaler. Also, the pain stays in the heart area. Thanks, please post feedback.
P.S. I cant go to the doctor, dont feel like explainin why, but I cant
Go to your school nurse and explain your symptoms. You will probably then be reffered to a cardiologist to rule out heart problems. Anxiety/Panic Attacks could be the culprit. But it is better safe than sorry and I don't mean to offend you or your mother but she is acting very negligently in not taking your concerns seriously.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen." ~ Hebrews 11:1 ~
The thing is, there is several other times where I have thought something was really wrong but it ended up a small thing, and my mom thinks im just too worried about things. The reason I cant go is like 2 weeks ago I really didnt feel well and asked to go to a doctor (I was scared I was really sick) and it ended up just a cold...
How long has it been going on for? I had the same thing happen to me and I suffer from anxiety also. I was telling my girlfriend that we HAD to go to the hospitol and get it checked out but she said wait untill tomorrow and when I woke up the next day it was gone.
A good family doctor would be prepared to discuss with you your reluctance to consult him or other doctors. Seeing the School nurse would be a good idea too. You need to discuss your problems and conflicts with an experienced professional.Apart from any other problems, you are in an anxiety state which needs attention.Maybe the school (or other) counsellor could help you. All the best.
Hey Honey, your Mother may be right, it could be indigestion. Acid Reflux also comes to mind. The best way to know for sure is a visit to your Doctor. In the meantime ask yourself these questions:
1. When does the pain start? night? Day? 1 to 2 hours after a meal or snack? When you bend over?
2. Do you have trouble swallowing? Does your throat burn? Do you have a sore throat?
3. Do you belch or burp repeatable after a meal? If so, do you every burp and taste the spices/flavors of the food you ate at your last meal? Do you feel "a liquid burp" in your throat sometimes when you bend over after a meal? Do you ever burp up a little food in your throat after a spicy meal?
4. Is there anything you can do when you have the chest pain that seems to relieve it? Anything that makes it worse?
5. Have you tried taking 4 quick dissolve Tums to see if they give you relief? If not, you should, any antacid would be a good first step and certainly will not hurt you no matter the cause.
6. You should also know that anxiety about your health can actually make you a good candidate for all kinds of symptoms. When you feel yourself getting anxious you may get some relief by telling yourself you are getting excited and take slow deep breaths and let them out slowly. Tell yourself to breathe nice and slow and calmly until you can feel some tension relief. Closing your eyes while deep breathing also helps relax you and it may actually relieve the symptoms.