It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

KaP HB User
Question Echo cardiogram and SSS

Hubby has bradycardia, but recently developed a fast heart rate at times going up to 140bpm. The doctor mentioned Sick Synus Syndrome. He did an ekg in the office, but wants to send him to get an Echo and a heart monitor. This sounds serious. The dr. said it is tachy-brady. That doen't sound good to me. Hubby also has syncope with the bradycardia and has had it for the past 1+years. He passes out a lot when he stands up and can't work because of this. Of course, SSI says he can work, but that's a different thread!
So has anyone heard of this and/or does anyone have this? I am curious to know all I can.

Thanks,
KaP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User
Re: Echo cardiogram and SSS

KaP:

Did the doc mention atrial fibrillation (afib) as a possibility? afib causes a very fast and sometimes erratic heartbeat. I think it would show on the EKG, though.

I have experienced both brachycardia and afib within the last couple of years. Brachy caused a heart rate of 29 to 30 bpm. Atrial fibrillation sent it to about 165 bpm. On two separate occasions, my heart had to be shocked to convert the afib back to normal sinus rhythm.

My cardiologist took me off coreg and digitalis (which evidently were causing the brachycardia), and put me on another beta blocker (sotalol) for the afib. So my heart now beats at a steady 45 to 55 rate, and I've had no further episodes for over a hear.

If your doctor isn't a cardiologist, I'd suggest that he refer you to one. I have an excellent primary care physician, but want my cardiologist to take care of my heart problems.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by Fizzickle; 11-20-2004 at 09:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread