It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #1

dianne12315 HB User
question about heart

Hi Everyone,

I have posted here before but with questions about heart failure. Thankfully I don't have it after having a BNP test done and the result was 22 which is pretty good.

Two weeks ago I began noticing I was having "extra heartbeats" and I was feeling kind of weak and dizzy so I called the Cardiologist. I was hooked up to the Holter Monitor for 24 hrs and the results were that I was definitely having extra heartbeats.

I work in a group home with Developmentally Disabled Adults who are in W/C's and must be lifted and after lifting one of them I had this new sensation in my chest and it felt like someone was putting their finger on my heart and stopping it for a second then letting it go then my heart would beat normally again. This went on every 2-3 minutes for about 2 hours then it stopped until the next day when I did something strenuous again. Now I noticed it does it whenever I do something strenuous.

I'm going back to the cardiologist tomorrow but I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else. I do not have any anxiety issues and my only other problem is high blood pressure which I've had for over 20 yrs. I'm 48 yrs old and I'm about 50 pounds overweight. (which I have been for years).

Thanks Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 11-23-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: question about heart

It sounds like it's probably PVCs, which most of the time are not dangerous. If you just had the holter monitor done then chances are any serious problem would have showed up, so I'd try not to worry too much about it. At the same time, it's definately something you want to get checked out, just to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
(female)

annie123 HB User
Thumbs up Re: question about heart

My problem's started about 2 years ago when I was staying at my daughters I thought I was just getting heartburn. Well the day after my birthday I felt so ill I thought I was going to die, my chest felt funny and the presure in my neck just under my chin and around my ears was bad. I could not breath so my husband called an ambulance, they put me on an ecg machine 3 times in the following 6 hours and took loads of blood, they said they could not find anything wrong it was most prob after effects of a good birthday bash, I did not agree. So home I came, these fellings in my chest got worse and more often, it was very frightning indeed, then came the pinching feeling around my heart, I went to the Drs. and was told I had angina, he put me on asprin and a spray for under the tounge' Nitrolingua pump spray (glyceryl trinitrate). I have since found out this is very good for palpatations and I go no where without it now, as it helps a lot.
I felt I was living at my Drs Surgery as every time this heart thing happened I made an appointment but by the time I got in to see him it had gone. Another time I was told my asophagos was going into spasams and I did not have angina so was taken off all medication, by this time I was making appointments with one Dr. only and not seeing all different one's.I gave up smoking when I was told I had angina and that was 6 months ago. Well one day my heart was doing funny things and I got to see th Nurse when it was happening who went to get the Dr. as by now I was histerical, he said My heart was missing beats put me back on asprin and said he will make a hospital appointment for me to wear a 24 hr heart box. He tried to reasure me that it was not life threatning and I was not going to die. But I was having none of it to me I was going to die. Things came to a head one Saturday when my daughter was visiting me I was very agitated could not breath properly and my throat was pulsating so much my daughter thought my adams apple was going to pop out. She called an ambulance who done an ECG put me on oxygen and told me I was having a bad case of palpatations, I was taken to hospital and put on a heart machine for 24 hours, a blood test was done to see if I had had a heart attack or had any heart defects which is done by a blood test. The blood test will show certain ozones in the blood. In my case there was none. When on the heart moniter you could see every 6th beat my heart was missing a beat followed by an extra beat, this makes my head throb and breathing difficult I also felt faint.. A nurse was with me and said if I learn to relax whilst this is happening the symptoms would not seem so bad. She helped me a lot. I was told I would have to learn to controll it, but when and if it ever got out of controll to go back to hospital where I would be given oxygen to help me. I had the 24 hour box about 6 weeks ago, I also had a heart scan 1 week ago no results of yet so all must be ok. I have just come back from New York I was there for 5 days, my Dr knew I was going and said it was ok, he gave me some tranculisers in case I hade a bad turn when there or on the plane as it was an 8 hour flight but apart from a few hours of bad palpatations I was ok.
So I hope to think I can help controll them I know it comes from the stomach, not always what you have eaten as I have tried giving things up when it has happened but from the acid in the gut, anyone reading this keep a diary like I did and see if this is the case, i also take gaviscon as I find this helps the palpatations.
The feelings in and around the heart are as follows
a pulse and a throb in the throat, followed by dizyness and not quite passing out but feeling you will. The heart feels as if it is not going to beat after it has throbed, and an airy feeling in the heart, I also get a pinching feeling as if someone is pinching one of the valves to my heart. Sometimes this is more powefull than others but I make myself get up and keep busy so not to think about it. I think the worse is when you are asleep and it happens. I am a lot calmer now than when it first started 2 years ago as I am still alive to tell the tale. Would love to hear from anyone who has had the same.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Yes Annie, trying to relax when it happens definately helps, but that's easier said than done!

Old 11-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #5

dianne12315 HB User

Thanks for all the responses and I went back to my Cardiologist today and he said they are normal. He also told me that as a woman I am not at risk for a heart attack until I'm 55 so I have about 7 yrs to go on that. I'm not the type that gets scared easily so the next time it happens I won't pay any attention to them. I admit it was scary when it first happened but since he said it was normal and I won't have a heart attack I'll be ok with it.

Of course the doctor also told my father they were nothing to worry about too and they told him he was doing so good he didn't have to come back for 3 months. A week later I found him on the bathroom floor. He had a masive heart attack and there was nothing I could do for him. He had just turned 70. That was 10 yrs ago.

I know there's nothing wrong with my heart so this will be the last post I make on this topic. I will probably post more on the high blood pressure forum because that seems to be my only problem.

Thank you for the responses and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Dianne

Last edited by dianne12315; 11-24-2004 at 06:04 PM.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 PM   #6
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Annie, wow!! You've really been through alot. I have had similar symptoms and still do sometimes. Chest pains and palpitations drive me crazy sometimes. They can really make you think you are going to die. I know i've stayed home many days, afraid to leave because of these things.

Dianne, im so sorry to hear about your father. I have known several people who almost the exact same thing that has happened to and it' so hard when it's unexpected like that.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #7

dianne12315 HB User

Frontier Driver 2,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my father. It was a very hard thing to deal with and it didn't help that I was the one who found him. 1994 was a very bad for us. Exactly a month after my father died I lost my older brother to Colon Cancer.

I'm not too worried about what's been going with me because my doctor reassured me that as a woman I'm not at risk for heart attack until I'm 55 so I'm not going to worry. I hope everyone on the board will be ok and I will check back from time to time to see how everyone is doing.

I just hope Jack51 is well. He has posted here many times as you know and it seems odd that he hasn't been posting. I know he mentioned not feeling good so I hope he's up and around soon.

Dianne

Old 11-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Dianne, i hate to tell you but i was 48 when i had my first heart attack and i am a female. On other boards, i've seen women posters state that they had heart attacks in thier 30's. Women are usually overlooked or misdiagnosed for heart attacks.

I say keep an eye out for any chest pain, back pain or general illness. When i had my first heart attack, the only thing i felt was a pain in my left leg and a little fullness in my chest. I went to a walk in clinic and they called an ambulance to carry me to a hospital. I was surprised.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:37 AM   #9

dianne12315 HB User

Thanks for the information and I have heard of women younger than 55 having heart attacks. A friend of mine who is my age (48) just had one. I was also admitted to the hospital in September for the same symptoms you had. I was weak, dizzy, had back pain, a funny feeling in my chest plus I was short of breath. I was there for almost 3 days but all my cardiac enzymes cames back normal.

I've had the same symtoms on and off since then but I was told to ignore them because I'm not at risk for a heart attack. I have been on BP medication for over 20 yrs but he also feels I do not have a BP problem because my BP was 124/94 the other day so I stopped the medication also.

I have a strong family history of hypertension and heart disease in my family but he said that was not important. I am overweight and for some reason I now have high cholesterol which is something I never had before. It was always low but since Sept. it is getting higher and my eating habits have not changed.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:29 AM   #10
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Chances are the doctor was right regarding your symptoms, if he did thorough tests. But... that being said... if any doctor tried to tell me what I was or wasn't "at risk" for based on an arbitrary age number, I'd walk out the door immediately and find a doctor with a more updated education!

Closed Thread