It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #1

naes HB User
Heart rate during exercise

First off, I am a 17 year old male, 5'7" tall, and weigh 140 lbs. For exercise, I use a stationary bicycle (Lifecycle) currently on manual (constant hill) level 1. I just started this exercise program and I haven't done any sports/exercise program for the last 4-5 years.

On the bicycle, I have to stay on level 1 because it puts my HR at 155-165 and my target range max is 173. I would like to go up to level 2, 3 and 4, but can't because starting at level 2, my HR creeps up to 170s. I feel like I can handle level 2 and 3 for 20 minutes or more without too much of a problem, but apparently my HR doesn't agree. So, my question is... WHEN will it agree? How long will I have to stay on level 1 before it my HR drops to say 140 while on level 1 forcing me to bump up to level 2 then later have to bump up to level 3, etc... can I expect this sort of improvement to take place or am I only going to see like a 5 point drop in HR during exercising leaving me at level 1

Thanks for any info.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Heart rate during exercise

You should consult a physician in beginning your exercise program. S/he can give you the kind of medical advice personal to your own level of fitness that you're seeking.

That being said, if you are young, physically fit, and otherwise healthy (no underlying medical conditions and have had a physical recently enough to be reasonably sure of this), then you can probably go by what your body is telling you. If you feel like you can do more, try it. But if you feel dizziness, pain, weakness, etc. don't try to push yourself beyond what your body is capable of. Change comes slowly and with patient, dilligent work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread