It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User
Heart Rate too low? HELP!

I was just laying down in bed a minute ago. I measured my heart rate and it was only 44 beats per minute! I have been feeling kinda fatigued and headachy today. How low can it go before I pass out?? I have never seen my heart rate go really low. How do I know when to go to the hospital??

I am a 20 year old male. I am on Altace for high blood pressure. I took that early this morning so I know it cant be that. Earlier today I drank like 4 or 5 cups of coffee. I havent had any caffeine whatsoever in months. Could that affect my heart rate? After all that caffeine I had a panic attack but it wasnt severe. I've learned how to calm myself down from it but it still leaves me tired and wiped out.

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 11-27-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Old 11-27-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User
Re: Heart Rate too low? HELP!

If anyone has a clue about this slow heart rate, please help me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

*Slowly* (to avoid dizziness) stand up, and walk around a bit. Then see what your heartrate is. If it is still really low, call a dr. ASAP. You should talk to your dr. about this anyway, it sound like your medicine might need to be adjusted if it is causing your heartrate to go too low.

Old 11-28-2004, 03:03 AM   #4
(male)

john23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten1980
*Slowly* (to avoid dizziness) stand up, and walk around a bit. Then see what your heartrate is. If it is still really low, call a dr. ASAP. You should talk to your dr. about this anyway, it sound like your medicine might need to be adjusted if it is causing your heartrate to go too low.
check it before taking your meds, if it is higher then it is 2 hours after taking your meds, they need adjusted.

if there is no change, you may talk to your dr about a tilt table - its a test they do to check for changes in the heart rythim

Old 11-28-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

I forgot to check my HR this morning before I took my medicine, but i'll do that tomorrow. If I get up and walk around it does go up to about 60. That still seems kinda low for me. Laying down it's about 50bpm.

I see my cardiologist on Tuesday. He tried to put me on Toprol last time. I did take it once but it made my heart rate go really low so I went back to Altace.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:36 AM   #6

redherring HB User

I'm not a doctor here, but I've been concerned with my HR once or twice in my lifetime LOL! A low HR is not necessarily life threatening unless you're dizzy or blackout. There are marathon runners who's resting HR dips down into the high twenties and low thirties. My resting HR is the mid to high fifties (I work out ALOT). From what I read physical conditioning, medications and genetics play alot into low resting heart rates. Having said all of that, it's a good idea to check with your doctor which it seems that's what you're doing.

Closed Thread