Questions concerning MVP and a little back history
I'm a 25 year old young man. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 19. I also have Supra Ventricualer Tachycardia. I take two 80 millogram Betapase betablockers a day. My doctor has told me that what I have is not life threating, but the SVT is dangerous. In fact when I used to go to a cardiologist he told me several times that I'm not going to die. I had a test done when I was 19 where they put a camera down your throat to look at the heart. My cardiologist told me I have a very strong heart. That my mitral valve is just slighty not closing all the way, and that this is what is causing my Supra Ventricualer Tachycardia.
Pretty much the betablocker gets rid of my palps and skips. Occasionally, about every 4-8 months I'll get an episode where out of the blue my heart will start racing and skipping at the same time. It gets really out of whack. It only last for about 5 seconds. I cough and that resets it, but when it happens I get this wave of fear or impending doom all over my body. My anxiety starts up again, and I get nervous because I'm waiting for it to happen again.
In fact my heart when out of whack the day after Thanksgiving. The last time it happened in mid July. Since this latest episode I'm been very nervous. Irritable bowels, feel tense, worried that it will happen again and that I may go into cardiac arrest or something.
I also have anxiety, (seems many with MVP have anxiety, mabye it's a nervous system problem). I take effexor twice a day to help control it. Sorry for the long rant:
Finally to my questions.
1. I've been reading on the net that magnesium helps to elivate MVP symptoms. How much should I take? I currently take a multi-vitamin it has 100mg of magnesium. Is that enough or should I take more?
2. What foods should I avoid? (I don't have any caffenine, or alcohol, I don't smoke either.) What other foods should I avoid like the plague?
3. How do you cope with the fear? When I get any type of symptom from chest pain, to those heart episodes every few months, I feel as if I'm going to die. I feel as if at any moment my heart is going to stop and i'm going to die.
4. What about employment? I have trouble holding a job because of these symptoms. (mostly anxiety). It's just too hard to explain to the boss about my condition.
5. Will my condition worsen as I get older?
6. Life expectency of someone with my condition?