It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

aussie-angel HB User
Question Hole in the heart repair... questions

It was decided today between my Cardiologist and Neurologist to have the hole in my heart repaired. It was only discovered during many tests to find the reason for the stroke I had in April. Has anyone had this surgery and if so, how did it go? Could you get off the blood thinners? I see the surgeon (who will do the procedure) next week but am curious! Oh I have just turned 40.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Hole in the heart repair... questions

What type of "hole"? I'm interested and a bit worried because I have ASD & my doctors have discussed the possibility of having surgery to close it, but since the latest round of tests a couple of weeks ago revealed that it isn't causing any real problems I decided that it isn't worth the risks of surgery to fix something I've lived with my whole life anyway. But you said yours was the cause of your stroke... What kind of stroke (hemmorage or bloodclot) if you don't mind my asking, and were/are there other conditions to consider or medications that you were/are taking now? Also what type of surgery are you looking at? Sorry to answer you question with more questions. Maybe someone who's been in this boat will give us more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 01:57 AM   #3
(female)

aussie-angel HB User

Hi Kitten,
It's called a Patent Foramen Ovale and is located between the top 2 chambers. I had a mild stroke in April and have right-sided weakness as a result. At the time, I couldn't move my right arm or leg and my speech was badly affected. I was in the US at the time visiting my fiance (I live in Australia) and the doctors think I might have developed a clot on the long flight which got to my brain 6 days later. The damage showed up on an MRI of the brain (apparently there is no scarring on the brain from a TIA of which I think I've had a few). I am on a blood thinner and Zocor (after it was discovered I had high cholesterol). They tested me for MS as well but everything pointed to this hole being the cause of my troubles. The Cardiologist I see is not able to do the surgery and has referred me to another doctor who I see next week. If you're interested I can let you know the details after I see him. Oh I was 39 when the stroke happened which is why they needed to find the reason why. I hope this answers your questions, Jayne.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Jayne, thanks for the information. I would be interested in what the doctor says next week if you don't mind sharing. For now you've given me something to think about and ask my doctor about, regarding the potential for clot formation. It seems that if that was an issue it would have been mentioned to me but, if I plan to take a long flight or something of that nature it might be something I needed to be aware of so that it could be prevented. Scary stuff. I'm 24 and don't like the idea of surgery to fix something that isn't causing problems and isn't likely to - but this is another aspect of risk that hadn't been brought to my attention before. *sigh* One more thing to weigh risk against benefit. Hope things work out for you okay, I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

Branwell HB User

This response is for Kitten1980. Kitten, I have an ASD which was discovered when I was 30 years old and pregnant with my first child. I was told to have the repair after I gave birth so I could have more children. (I did have another child). Of course, the thought of open heart surgery was frightening but I felt that I had no choice. The fact that you are only 24 would help you in your recovery. I had the surgery 12 years ago and I think now some ASD's can be repaired without open heart surgery, but rather, with something similar to an angioplasty. You should check that out with your doctor. Anyway, I had the surgery, took about 6 weeks to physically heal, and a few months more to feel completely fine. I'm currently 43 and in the past few months I had an episode of atrial flutter. My heart was beating 250 beats per minute! The doctors couldn't understand why this happened to me and when I told them I had an ASD, they put two and two together. Once the physical hole from the ASD is repaired, the underlying congenital defect is still there, so there could be some effects in the future, like my atrial flutter. How was your hole discovered? My gynecologist heard a murmur and sent me to a cardiologist. I had the ASD my whole life and never knew it!

Old 12-20-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

They knew I had it almost right after I was born. They didn't really know how to fix it in infants yet so it was a lot of watching and waiting. Then as I got older they realized that it might close at least partially on it's own as I grew and that is what happened. Everything is normal except for a small hole so they basically said it isn't critical to close it at this point, but it is an option and it might need to be done later if problems develop. But since my problems seem to have lessened rather than gotten worse through the years... I'm leaning towards the keep an eye on it and do nothing right now side of things.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

Branwell HB User

That's great that it is closing on its own. Then you probably don't have to worry about getting any surgery. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread