It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 04:37 AM   #1
(male)

Lee-England HB User
Smile Heart Problem? Advice needed....

Hello everyone,

Im a reasonably psychically fit 21 year old. A year and a half ago, i rushed myself off to hospital, i had taken 2 lines of cocaine. I was sitting on my chair and felt a slight pain by the left rib cage which i had never had before. Then i felt the sudden need to "get outside", so stood up, and suddenly had a pain down my left arm and across my chest, heart was racing maincly. I had taken coke for about a year, once a month really, so was never addicated to it, not did i have any kind of problems before. To this day i have never, andwill never use it again. This sensation died down slightly but still went back hospital. this "rushing sensation" where my heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest, happened 3 times, in roughly half and hour stages during the time i was at hospital. When i arrived, they wired me up to an ECG, and showed that there was so sign of a heart attack at all, and that i was just suffering for ill effects of taking cocaine! After a few hours, they said I could go and that there were no problems at all. I never really did ask what this problem was called, does anyone know what the medical terminology for it is? If there is one??

This espisode obviously scared the hell out of me, and i got very depressed. From then on in, i used to get chest pains, slight pain in the left arm etc, despite the fact i exercise regularly and apart from a few drinks at the weekend, i'm not really unhealthy.

A year ago i had a ultra sound heart scan, which found the heart was perfectly normal, i've seen the doctor for check ups and again, he advises of no problems.

However, currently, i get very tight chest pains now and again, my cheeks are red and flushed, When i exercise, my heart beats so hard that i can feel it if i gently touch the upper left side of my body. Even resting sometimes, i can feel it beat and it almost feels "grinding", if you can understand that.

Does any one suffer for these aformentioned problems at all, and if so, have you any advice to give?

Many thanks
Lee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #2

Ode2acardiacNode HB User
Re: Heart Problem? Advice needed....

The only advice I can give is that it would be best to stop the cocaine use. Best of luck.

Last edited by Ode2acardiacNode; 12-02-2004 at 10:38 AM.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Heart Problem? Advice needed....

I'm sure there are technical terms for what you experienced, but it would be difficult to say what without knowing what the EKG showed. The combination of symptoms, on the other hand, probably doesn't have much more of a technical name than being side effects of cocaine use. I'm glad it turned out you were okay; many people aren't as lucky (and I'm not pointing fingers as I'm certainly not one to be talking, I had my share of wild teenage moments, and I had a heart problem to start with *shakes head*).

Regarding the symptoms that you have experienced since then - if you are not using cocaine or other drugs - you may need to have a 24-hr or longer event monitor to see what if anything is going on with your heart. There's also sites that have more "open" discussion about drug use and the effects and you might find information that is more specific to what you are experiencing on one of those. The one I'm thinking of in particular, I think the name of it is Erowid (sp?), not sure of the address but if you run a search you'll probably find it pretty easy.

Closed Thread