It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1
gadgetboy HB User
Unhappy Whats wrong with me ?

Hi

I need your help.

Here is my history :

I am 29 years old. I checked for cholesterol only recently and was diagnosed with high cholesterol (total : 217. LDL 133, HDL : 37, Tri: 233). I have been overweight all my life and now by 25 pounds. I have started exercising only recently and am in poor shape.

Couple of weeks ago, I had stinging pain in the left side of my chest Ė its like someone poking my chest wall. The pain usually lasted about two seconds. It happened 5 or 6 times during a two day period. Then I felt some pressure in the middle of the chest and could hear my heart pounding : - I got scared and went to the ER room. They took some blood tests, chest X-Ray and ECG and told me I donít have any heart attack.

After that, my primary physician, a family practitioner, had me take ECG, echo and stress test. I underwent some nuclear echo also. All the tests have come normal. He has diagnosed the pain as muscle spasm/anxiety. He has prescribed celebrax.

But from the first time I had the pain, I am observing the following symptoms :

1. Stinging pain in the left and right side of the chest once in a while. This happened esp. when I didn't celebrax for one day.
2. Sprain on the upper back (approximately behind the heart area) and upper neck between the shoulders. This has happened two or three times and lasted four to five hours.
3. Shortness of breath with even little activity
4. Burning sensation in the middle of the chest - esp. when I am anxious. The sensation lasts for couple of hours and subsides slowly if I lie down.
5. Could hear my heart beating faster for no reason
6. Buzz in the ear

I told my doctor about all the symptoms, he thinks it because of spasm/anxiety only. My pulse is at 80 and my blood pressure is normal.
Should I see another doctor ? Or is he correct in his diagnosis ? Should I see a heart specialist ?

Pl. help me. And, thanks for your advice.

Last edited by gadgetboy; 12-02-2004 at 10:33 AM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: WA USA
Posts: 0
Ode2acardiacNode HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Based on what your physician has told you...I think they have done an adequate workup. This should reassure you, that your heart is healthy. Be thankful they didn't find anything serious and remember to live life. Don't let the symptoms of anxiety take over your life. Best of luck to you. Keep your chin up...you're young and with a few lifestyle modifications, you can become healthier and improve your health.

 
Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,998
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetboy
After that, my primary physician, a family practitioner, had me take ECG, echo and stress test. I underwent some nuclear echo also. All the tests have come normal.
These tests are only telling you how your heart is behaving on that one day, at that one time.

Many things that you eat or drink, that you wear, or that you breathe, can effect your heart rate, functioning and rhythm. For instance, on certain days the levels of pollens and pollutants in the air can be high, and cause many to have increased heart and allergy related difficulties.

There are tests, such as the 24 hour holter, that will monitor your heart over a 24 hour period, or longer, while you are involved in your normal activities, in the hopes of catching the heart related difficulty, when it is happening.

You can take all of the tests in the world, while your heart is not malfunctioning, and they will all usually say that there is nothing wrong, at that time.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-02-2004 at 11:37 AM.

 
Old 12-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 209
Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

There's two ways of looking at this. On the one hand, you listed in your symptoms two very telling things - (1) the medication you were prescribed is working, because your symptoms come back if you don't take it (2) anxiety increases your awareness of symptoms. Based on that and the fact that your doctor did a fairly thorough workup of heart tests I would say the diagnoses is probably correct.

However, on the other hand, there is a small possibility that something else is going on that was not caught during the tests. You know your own body - if something doesn't seem "right," then ask your doctor to do a 24 hr monitor or a longer event recording monitor. Then your heart activity can be compared to the time that symptoms occured.
__________________
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen." ~ Hebrews 11:1 ~

 
Old 12-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 217
alwaysaworrier HB User
Question Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Is the 24 hour monitor a different one to the one you wear for bp?

 
Old 12-02-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,998
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaworrier
Is the 24 hour monitor a different one to the one you wear for bp?
The 24 hour holter, with which I am familiar, takes a 24 hour EKG test, which checks the heart's electrical system on a continuous basis.

It can provide some interesting and unexpected results. Everyone has a circadian rhythm to their body, where the levels of hormones produced, into the blood stream, changes during certains times of the day, especially at night, and this can have an effect on how the heart functions, among other things.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-02-2004 at 01:03 PM.

 
Old 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 212
cheer up HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Gadgetboy --

I seriously doubt that you have a heart problem despite your chest pain compaints. Your doctor ran thorough tests on you, and your cholesterol isn't all that bad. If you lose the 25 pounds I'll bet your chol. levels will all be normal or very close to it. It would be nice to raise your HDL a little and if you like red wine, a small glass of it a couple of times per week will help with that. Just don't overdo drinking of any alcohol -- as you know, too much isn't good. Try to eat more fish and less red meat as well.

Your pain/discomfort symptoms would not be typical for cardiac problems. Short (brief) or stabbing, stinging pains such as you describe are not typical of heart problems; in fact, brief stabbing pains are very rarely heart-related and are probably chest wall or muscle or tendon or rib-related. You also mention that they occur in various areas of your upper body.

Usually heart pain is in the center of your chest and feels like extreme pressure or squeezing, described as an elephant or something heavy sitting on the chest, perhaps with occasionally burning as well which is why sometimes people think they just have heartburn. If you feel it in your back it is generally in the middle, between the shoulder blades, sort of like it radiates through from front to back. (This can be from other causes, too, so if you've happened to experience it don't panic!)

Heart pain will not change with the way you move, or breathe. You would also likely feel some or all of the following: short of breath, clammy, weak, nauseated. A few people think they have stomach problems when in fact they have heart problems.

It also sounds like you are definitely suffering from anxiety and that (and panic disorder, which is even worse) can cause chest discomfort, big time. I think your doctor has done a very good job of diagnosing your problems and at 29 I doubt you have anything to worry about. This is as good a time as any to start eating healthier and making sure to get some exercise, however. You say you are out of shape, yet it sounds like you did fine on the stress test. When I took my stress test a couple of years ago (I'm 54 and female) I passed the echo part of it just fine but they told me I was "REALLY out of shape" (and I nearly passed out after the treadmill!) so I immediately went on a diet and started walking most days (I have a bad back so can't really jog or do strenuous exercises). Walking is GREAT, though, and if you can do it every day that's even better.

Try not to worry so much about your health -- you don't want to start that worrying behavior, especially as young as you are. Live your life and enjoy it, but, bearing in mind that diet and exercise is important for all around good health. I truly believe your heart is fine and your "symptoms" are NOT heart-related. Good luck to you -- you've got many, many years ahead of you.

 
Old 12-03-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

gagetboy,

It sounds like a pretty clear case of costochondritis from an inflammation of the soft tissue connecting the ribs. Sometimes, all it takes is one wrong stretch...like reaching for something high...sometimes it comes on from NOTHING!
Costochondritis is somewhat confirmed by the pain response to Celebex.
I take ibuprofen when it happens to me (only last week.) The worst part is the stabbing pain when trying to take a full breath.<owww>

It usually disappears as mysteriously as it occurs!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-03-2004 at 05:31 AM.

 
Old 12-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 35
GlenS HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

I had all the test you mentioned and was given a clean bill of health. Two weeks later I was in the hospital for bypass surgery. The test that really showed the problems was the heart cathaterization. I had many of the same symptoms you listed.

 
Old 12-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 460
NineLives HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetboy
Hi

I need your help.

Here is my history :

I am 29 years old. I checked for cholesterol only recently and was diagnosed with high cholesterol (total : 217. LDL 133, HDL : 37, Tri: 233). I have been overweight all my life and now by 25 pounds. I have started exercising only recently and am in poor shape.

Couple of weeks ago, I had stinging pain in the left side of my chest Ė its like someone poking my chest wall. The pain usually lasted about two seconds. It happened 5 or 6 times during a two day period. Then I felt some pressure in the middle of the chest and could hear my heart pounding : - I got scared and went to the ER room. They took some blood tests, chest X-Ray and ECG and told me I donít have any heart attack.

After that, my primary physician, a family practitioner, had me take ECG, echo and stress test. I underwent some nuclear echo also. All the tests have come normal. He has diagnosed the pain as muscle spasm/anxiety. He has prescribed celebrax.

But from the first time I had the pain, I am observing the following symptoms :

1. Stinging pain in the left and right side of the chest once in a while. This happened esp. when I didn't celebrax for one day.
2. Sprain on the upper back (approximately behind the heart area) and upper neck between the shoulders. This has happened two or three times and lasted four to five hours.
3. Shortness of breath with even little activity
4. Burning sensation in the middle of the chest - esp. when I am anxious. The sensation lasts for couple of hours and subsides slowly if I lie down.
5. Could hear my heart beating faster for no reason
6. Buzz in the ear

I told my doctor about all the symptoms, he thinks it because of spasm/anxiety only. My pulse is at 80 and my blood pressure is normal.
Should I see another doctor ? Or is he correct in his diagnosis ? Should I see a heart specialist ?

Pl. help me. And, thanks for your advice.
Gadgetboy normally in someone 29 years old I would say it's not your heart, but your symptoms reminded me some of what I felt when I had blockage. The stinging pain that you mentioned as also feeling like poking on the chest wall and only lasting seconds is also what I felt. I know now that was the diseased artery spasming and not allowing my heart to get good blood flow. It definitely caught my attention but I remembered jokingly saying "gosh I hope that's not my heart. I didn't have the pressure sensation in the center of the chest until a few months later and that was when I dialed 911 for myself because I thought I was having a heart attack. Had shortness of breath along with it. Another alarm going off for me was when you said you have shortness of breath with even a little bit of exertion. Also I'm not sure what you mean by sprain in the upper back, but if you are speaking of pain in the upper back and shoulder area that sets of alarms for me as well.
The tests that you had are good tests and it sounds like your doctor took you serious when you mentioned your symptoms but those tests are not always conclusive. All those tests missed my heart blockage and I had them more than one time. Now, if you keep going back to your doctor with those symptoms and they know you've had those tests done they are probably going to think you are neurotic which is sad. If it were me and knowing what I know now I would want an angiogram but it's highly unlikely that any doctor would want to do one on you at your age. The fact that you mention that celebrex helps makes me wonder if maybe it is just inflammation like someone else mentioned costochondritis. Keep taking your celebrex and don't miss any doses. If the pain stops you know it was probably inflammation if it continues then I would probably seek a second opinion. I hope I've not caused more anxiety for you, but felt that I needed to add my opinion because it is somewhat different than others above. I was 41 when my blockage was found. I didn't have a heart attack, but ended up with a stent and then emergency bypass 3 months later when the stent failed.

 
Old 12-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 219
FrontierDriver2 HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

If these sensations continue, you probably need an angiogram. I have had alot of the same weird stinging feelings in my chest. I am only 20. If you have such shortness of breathe on activity, it looks like the doctor would have seen that in a stress test. If it was severe I dont see how you finished the test?? I dont have any shortness of breathe and a stress echo about killed me!!

I had a stress test done at my regular doctor, before I saw a cardilogist, and his stress test was too easy! No wonder they miss alot of blockages.

Last edited by FrontierDriver2; 12-04-2004 at 04:40 PM.

 
Old 12-05-2004, 06:13 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 460
NineLives HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierDriver2

I had a stress test done at my regular doctor, before I saw a cardilogist, and his stress test was too easy! No wonder they miss alot of blockages.
I agree that the stress test was too easy. I didn't feel that it pushed me enough and evidently it didn't because I never experienced angina or shortness of breath while on the treadmill. I think the problem with stress tests is that they were designed to be used on old men. I was 41 and female and had been active all my life. It just didn't stress my heart enough and I think it had to do with the natural rhythmns of the heart like someone else above mentioned. Maybe the time of day that I had the test was wrong.

 
Old 12-05-2004, 06:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

NineLives,

How did your stent fail in so short a time? A clot, plaquing, or did it "move?"

 
Old 12-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 460
NineLives HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
NineLives,

How did your stent fail in so short a time? A clot, plaquing, or did it "move?"
I ended up with a scar around the stented area that almost closed off the top of the LAD 97%. Thus I now have scarring extending into the left main artery(because my stent was so close to the branch). When I got my stent I guess they either weren't offering the coated stents or they didn't have one in the correct size. I was in the 30 or so percent who have restenosis from the bare metal stent.

 
Old 12-05-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 154
Excelsoir HB User
Re: Whats wrong with me ?

ALWAYSAWORRIER: Yes the 24 heart rate and rhythm monitor (Holter Monitor) is quite a different machine to a BP Monitor, and can be valuable to identify an intermittant condition, for example a change in heart rhythm that only persists for a short time. And GADGETBOY, I too think you have been well checked over, as far as your heart goes, so I would not be too anxious about it. Have the monitor, by all means, but you should also be thinking about doing some walking and revising your diet. Short walks first, and if OK, gradually extend the distance. Stop if any chest pain or inappropriate breathlessness. Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.
Excelsoir

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
what do you do , when the doctors have no clue whats wrong with you GHSdrummajor200 General Health 6 05-16-2011 04:16 PM
Whats wrong with me? greenbeam Epilepsy 14 07-05-2006 06:08 AM
Whats wrong with me??? Im getting worried :( jeannie00 Allergies 14 10-11-2005 06:08 PM
Whats wrong with me. Im getting kinda worried??? jeannie00 Open to All Other Health Topics 6 10-09-2005 12:31 PM
WHATS WRONG?Docs stumped drginnypig Skin Problems 8 01-10-2005 11:19 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!