It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

Jamora HB User
Cardiomyopathy

Are their any women out there that have dialated cardiomyopathy and have been able to have a child? How did the pregnancy go? Was the baby born healthy and how was your heart after the delivery? Did you have to have a c-section?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User
Re: Cardiomyopathy

Hi Jamora,
I know I responded to your other post already but I forgot to add one thing. The doc said that he knew a woman who had a baby after being diagnosed with cadiomyopathy and she had to have a heart transplant.
Anway I leave this for other people to post on.
Once again goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 09:46 AM   #3

Eileen2345 HB User

Jamora,

May I ask.... are you pregnant now, or do you want to know if you should get pregnant because of the possible complications?
-- EDITIED --
Jamora, I just read your other post about "Heart Disorder and Pregnancy."

I have Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy with Congestive Heart Failure. I understand most of the dynamics of Cardiomyopathy.

Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a very serious heart disease, please do not take this lightly. I suggest that you do not get pregnant. From what I have been told by doctors, when a woman gets pregnant, her body increases her blood volume by 25%. This along with the other stresses on the body during pregnancy is (in my opinion) too much for a Dilated Cardiomyopathy heart to endure.

Dilated Cardiomyopathy is associated with Congestive Heart Failure.
I do not mean to sound rude or unkind, but please consider this.... even if you were to give birth, you may not be alive long enough to raise your child.
I know this sounds harsh, but it is something to consider. I live with Congestive Heart Failure everyday, it is very difficult.

I truly wish you the best.

-- Eileen

Last edited by Eileen2345; 12-05-2004 at 10:10 AM.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #4

Eileen2345 HB User

Jamora,

Please let me say that I am very sorry for your losses. Please accept my deepest condolences. I am just so sorry.

I honestly wish you all the best.

(((((((Hugs))))))))

Respectfully -- Eileen

Old 12-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
(female)

Jamora HB User
Smile Re: Cardiomyopathy

Eileen, thank you. It's hard but I guess with the great support from my husband, my family and the strength from God is how I have gotten through it. It's been hard and I know that for the rest of my life I will live with this heart condition, I guess some days just feel worse then others. My heart so far is doing very well. It is back to normal size and the function is back up in the 50% level. My doctors are very happy with the recovery that I have made. I know that to be a parent there are many options. I guess I just wanted to be 100% sure that I should not make any attempts. You did have a point before, I would not want to have a child and then not be around to see them grow up and leave my husband alone to raise a child. Do you have any children? I like this healthboard and being able to meet people that are able to give advise and relate to others. I don't know really anyone around me that knows what it's like to be me really. Thank you again for responding.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:09 AM   #6

Eileen2345 HB User

Hi Jamora,

I know the feeling, I do not know anyone with any type of Cardiomyopathy, other than the people I meet online. It is difficult for healthy people to understand what I am going through. (And I really do not expect them to know.)

Wow! You have done a great job managing your heart condition!!
You are right, it is hard to realize that for the rest of our lives we both will have our own heart conditions. Unfortunately, there is no cure for Cardiomyopathy. But wow, if your EF (ejection fraction) is 50%, that is great!

Normal EF is between 55% and 65%.

Mine is 84%, which is way too high. Which is not good either, too low or too high is not good.
My condition: Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy (HOCM) is in a way, the opposite of Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM). In Dilated Cardiomyopathy the walls of the ventricles are too thin and the heart becomes weak and enlarged. In HOCM, the left ventricle is too thick and stiff, so the heart cannot relax and fill with the proper amount of blood and in my case, there also an obstruction which makes it very difficult for the heart to pump efficiently.

Yes, I have 2 children. They are in grade school. Years ago when I was diagnosed with HOCM, the doctors never said that this heart disease could get worse and that I could go into congestive heart failure. If I had known all of the information I know now, things may have turned out differently. There is alot of fear in my house everyday, because my children know about my heart, they see me sick, they see me short of breath when doing laundry and I have a handicapped license plate. I cannot hide it.

I just try to make everyday the best day I can. But down the road, I may be looking at a heart transplant.

All that we can do is manage these heart diseases the best we are able to. And you have done a wonderful job of this. Please keep up the good work. Too much stress can be a very big problem for both of us.

I wish you all the best

Hugs -- Eileen

Old 12-07-2004, 07:53 PM   #7

Excelsoir HB User

Hi Jamora,I too have cardiomyopathy (hypertropic) and have chronic heart failure. I cannot have a baby( being a male !),but am aware of the lifestyle changes you have to make to best cope with this condition.I used to get very frustrated and depressed, but I have decided to preserve or improve what I can do. For over one year I have been on a strict diet and do exercises I can manage ( with cardiologist's approval). I have rearranged my life quite a bit, and feel much better for it.I fully empathsize with your situation, but you need expert advice from a cardiologist on major decisions like having a baby. I am not medically qualified, but feel that there would be very significant risk factors for a pregnancy and delivery. All the best for your life in any case.
Regards, Excelsoir

Closed Thread