It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink dual excercise stress test

I am going in for one of these stress tests. Does anyone have a description of the test. I was told it will be 3-4 hrs. long. What types of excersise will I do and for how long. Also, will the results be known that day? What will they be looking for? Will the excercise be strenuous...I am recovering from a back surgery.

Any info. would be great.

Lorie

Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User
Re: dual excercise stress test

Lorie,

Is this a nuclear (thallium) stress test? From the length (3 to 4 hours), I would guess it almost has to be.

The exercise will be done on a treadmill. If your back is in such condition that makes it difficult for you to physically exercise, the doctor can use a chemical which stresses the heart. My last test was a couple of months ago. It was done on a treadmill but the doctor also used a chemical stressor.

If this is indeed a nuclear stress test, you will have an IV needle placed in a vein, and you'll be injected with a nuclear marker (thallium, usually). After a period of time (maybe 30 minutes), your heart will be scanned with a machine which shows thallium uptake, a measure of the coronary artery blood flow, at rest.. This scan takes 20 - 30 minutes.

Following.that, you will go through the exercise portion of the test. You will be wired up to a heart monitor, put on a treadmill, and exercised. This starts at a slow pace on a level, but the speed is increased along with the treadmill elevation at intervals. It takes maybe 30 minutes to get the monitor leads placed on your chest and everything ready to start. The treadmill part itself normally lasts a maximum of about 12 minutes. Another shot of thallium will be injected into the IV.

Following the treadmill part, you are encouraged to eat. Then after a wait of 30 minutes to an hour, you will be scanned again. This will show the heart's thallium uptake on exercise. Any areas of coronary ischemia on your heart will be apparant from the scan.

It will take about 3 hours to complete the entire test, but the exercise portion is relatively brief (maybe 12 minutes), and involves only walking on a treadmill.. Your heart is monitored during the exercise, along with your blood pressure, so the exercise can be stopped if any coronary anomoly develops.

My cardiologist called me the next day with the results.

This is just a brief description as I remember it. It's nothing to be afraid of. The nuclear element is very mild, and is eliminated from the body rapidly. You won't glow in the dark (ha!)

Hope all goes well,

Bill

Last edited by Fizzickle; 12-03-2004 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: dual excercise stress test

Thanks, a Dr. couldn't have explained it any clearer! I like the part about encouraging me to eat...I have to fast from midnight on lol.

Thanks again,

Lorie

Closed Thread