It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

prendi HB User
Question shoulder pain is it heart problem??

i have had a pain in my left shoulder for about 4 weeks now.my doc said it was a pulled muscle perhaps and gave me ibuleve gel.the pain now seems to have moved into my left chest area,and up my neck and into my back all on the left side my right side is perfect.i feel like i want to burp a lot too,could it be cardiac problems or just indigestion??i would be most grateful for any help.thx

Old 12-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
(female)

captain14 HB User
Re: shoulder pain is it heart problem??

I have had all the symptoms you mentoned for over a year now.They come and go but they are always on my left side. I am a 40yo woman, I get them due to hormone changes each month. I thought it was heart related but I have no risk factors and can exercise with no complaints. I know the pain is worse with anxiety. I did go to the dr to have checked out so you should probably do the same. And if you are a man this won't pertain to you. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

For what it's worth, before my heart attack I had severe pain in my left shoulder. This went on for a couple of weeks - couldn't sleep at night.

So I had an EKG. No abnormalities.

I went to an orthopedist. He X-rayed my shoulder, said there were some arthritic spurs there, and gave me some sort of anti-inflammatory. But he said something that got my attention:. He said "If heart problems have been ruled out, then it's probably arthritic spurs."

And it occurred to me that one normal EKG doesn't necessarily mean that heart problems have been ruled out.

That night, about 2 a.m., I had a severe heart attack with crushing pain in the center of my chest, cold clammy sweat, and nausea. That was 30 years ago, and it made profound changes in my life.

Not to scare you, but I would see a cardiologist and ask for a stress test, were I you. I don't believe in messin' around with symptoms like that.

Regards,

Bill.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

It could be heart but it may be something like inflammation. It's just so difficult to say, but I'm with Bill on this. I would see about having a stress test with nuclear scan since you are a woman. I had alot of shoulder pain too. In fact I took ibuprofen for shoulder pain the night before all the shortness of breath, and crushing chest pain hit. I did not have a heart attack because my blockage was found in time to prevent it.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #5

snogal2 HB User
Question Re: shoulder pain is it heart problem??

I've also been having alot of pain in my shoulder, only it's my RIGHT shoulder. I went to the doctor and she told me my muscles were all tightened up and send me to a massage therapist. Been there twice. the pain is still in my shoulder and goes down my arm and up the back of my neck. This is what scares me, when it gets really bad it triggers a migraine and I take my migraine medicene and all the pain pretty much goes away including the pain in the shoulder. I have a friend who told me that her heart medication also takes away her migraines. Does anyone know do these medications work in the same way and if so am I experiencing a heart related problem that is triggering my migraines and the on going shoulder/neck pain. This has been going on now for a good month. My right arm also feels kinda tinklely???

Old 12-08-2004, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

Snogal it could be carpal tunnel syndrome.

Closed Thread