It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User
Chest pain and heart palpitations

Hi everyone.

I'm afraid I'm becoming a hypochondriac. I've been having chest pains and heart palpitations for more than a month now, and after numerous visits to the ER and my family doctor, I'm at my wit's end. To date, I've had five EKGs, two chest X-rays, two series of blood work, and a 24-hour heart monitor. All results have been normal, but the symptoms seem to be coming more frequently and intensely as time goes by.

I have chest pain every day, generally in the area of my left pectoral muscle, but often spreading to my shoulder, back, neck and jaw. I have frequent heart palpitations, especially when I lie down, that are usually so bad that I can't get to sleep. My heart races for no apparent reason -- sometimes going over 100 bpm while at rest. I have frequent headaches and lightheadedness. Muscles all over my body twitch involuntarily all the time, and I often get sharp pains at different spots all over my body which only last for a few seconds. I also experience extreme fatigue throughout the day. And just today I've experienced severely blurred vision in my right eye.

Numerous doctors have checked me out, and they all say I'm physically fine.
I have been diagnosed with a combination of depression and anxiety, and have started taking Remeron as a treatment. It has helped me get to sleep easier, but my other symptoms have either remained the same or gotten worse. With all the tests I've had, what more could be wrong with me? I guess I'm having a hard time rationalizing that such profound physical symptoms could be caused by my head alone.

Is it possible there is something physical that hasn't been ruled out by all the tests I've had, or is this all in my mind? Please help me before I go crazy.

Thank you all in advance.

-Ryan

P.S. I'm an otherwise healthy 26-year-old male. I'm perhaps 15-20 pounds overweight, and my BP is usually normal, though it's been as high as 138/98 when I have having one of these "attacks."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Chest pain and heart palpitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy1
Hi everyone.

I'm afraid I'm becoming a hypochondriac. I've been having chest pains and heart palpitations for more than a month now, and after numerous visits to the ER and my family doctor, I'm at my wit's end. To date, I've had five EKGs, two chest X-rays, two series of blood work, and a 24-hour heart monitor. All results have been normal, but the symptoms seem to be coming more frequently and intensely as time goes by.
Did you have any symptoms during the 24-hour heart monitor?

Quote:
I have frequent heart palpitations, especially when I lie down, that are usually so bad that I can't get to sleep. My heart races for no apparent reason -- sometimes going over 100 bpm while at rest.
If you have allergies, or chemical sensitivities, when you come into contact with an allergen or an irritant, your endocrine system pours out chemicals (hormones) into your blood stream, such as adrenaline. Some of these hormones can cause your heart to misfire and race.

The bed is the worst place for allergies, so it doesn't surprise me that so many people have heart rhythm problems in bed.

To make things more complex, everyone's body also has a circadian rhythm. Your circadian rhythm effects when, and how often, hormones get pumped into your blood stream. For instance, at night your pineal gland is "programmed" to pour melatonin, among other things, into your body to aid in sleeping. At night, then, the hormones in your blood stream are somewhat different from those during the day. So........ since your body's endocrine system is constantly changing, it makes diagnosis that much more difficult.

Have you ever walked outside and become nauseous and felt your heart jumping, and then on another day, you walked outside and nothing happened?

Have you ever been able to relate something you ate, or something that touched your skin, or something that you breathed, with an increase in your symptoms?

Quote:
Is it possible there is something physical that hasn't been ruled out by all the tests I've had, or is this all in my mind? Please help me before I go crazy.
I think that you have just had bad luck, in that your symptoms have not been present during testing. There are many in a similar boat as you, perhaps not with the same exact symptoms, but with heart related rhythm problems without apparent heart disease.

Good luck with finding the source(s) of your symptoms.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-08-2004 at 02:48 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #3
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Ask for an event monitor. It's like the 24 hour monitor but you can wear it for a week (or longer) until an "attack" occurs so that it is recorded and can then be evaluated. One thing you want to remember though, is that a lot of palpitation/rythm issues are harmless (except for the anxiety they cause, which in turn causes them to get worse, etc.) so it may be that you are 100% healthy and your heart just doesn't follow the so-called "normal" rythm.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
(female)

Jenette HB User

Ryguy1 - I know how you feel, My family keep telling me that everything is fine, but unless it happens to them there just is no way to explain. I am now wearing a 24 hr holter monitor, trying to get proof as to what is happening.

Anxiety can be the very devil, try not to let it take control, easier said then done.

Good Luck
Jenette

Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

Kitten, I should have been more specific. What I was wearing was a 24-hour Holter monitor. It has an event button on it, which I used frequently.

Beerzoids, I had symptoms and I recorded them, but the results were normal. That is, there were no PVCs or PACs and no other significant arrhythmias. And when I was experiencing chest pain, there was no change that would signify any heart problems. However, there was borderline tachycardia (102 bpm) once when I was experiencing palpitations. Also, my mean heart rate was 85, which, while within normal range, is still a little high for my liking.

Jenette, thank you for empathizing. Sometimes it's just nice to know there are others going through something similar. That's especially true on the family front. I know a lot of stress has been put on my relationships with family members since these problems started. My girlfriend has endured numerous late-night trips to the ER with me, many on worknights, and it's starting to get to her. I'm hoping that anxiety is the cause and that I can get it under control, though often times mental problems are harder to lick than physical ones. Best of luck to you as well. I hope you find some conclusive results.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
My heart races for no apparent reason -- sometimes going over 100 bpm while at rest. I have frequent headaches and lightheadedness. Muscles all over my body twitch involuntarily all the time, and I often get sharp pains at different spots all over my body which only last for a few seconds. I also experience extreme fatigue throughout the day. And just today I've experienced severely blurred vision in my right eye.

What possible causes, for your symptoms, have been ruled out? Have you been tested for Multiple Sclerosis?

Old 12-09-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User

I would assume that, given the tests I've had, everything heart-related has been ruled out.

As for MS testing, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I've been through a battery of manual neurological testing (all normal), but nothing as comprehensive as an MRI, if that's what you mean.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
(female)

elggon HB User

Have you been tested for thyroid problems. Hyperthyroidism can make your heart race and cause fatigue, along with other symptoms. Just a thought

Old 12-09-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User

Thanks for the reply, elggon.

I've had bloodwork for my thyroid done twice in the past month. Everything's groovy with it. It's acting just the way a thyroid should .

Old 12-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #10
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

If you're worried about your heartrate being at the higher end of the spectrum, talk to your doctor about an appropriate aerobic exercise program to strengthen your heart .

Old 12-10-2004, 07:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I would assume that, given the tests I've had, everything heart-related has been ruled out.

As for MS testing, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I've been through a battery of manual neurological testing (all normal), but nothing as comprehensive as an MRI, if that's what you mean.
I used all of your symptoms, in various combinations, with several internet searchs. Most of my searches created many links to articles about Multiple Sclerosis.

I am not suggesting that you have MS, nor am I qualified to do so. In your search for an answer to your complex and profound symptoms, you might consider asking your doctors to rule out MS.

There is also a Multiple Sclerosis topic here on healthboards, if you wanted to post your symptoms over there and see if anyone else has similar symptoms. This could also assist you in ruling out MS.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #12
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User

Thanks, beerzoids. Will do.

Kitten, I injured my back early in the summer, so I was pretty inactive for about 6 months. That probably had a profound effect on my cardio condition, but I've been exercising almost every day for the better part of two months now, with no noticeable change. And my heart rate is getting up there too. Usually during my brisk walks (which I do 4-5 days a week) I'm up around 155 bpm. Do you think there's some other kind of exercise I should be doing ?

Old 12-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Thanks, beerzoids. Will do.
I noticed that someone on the MS board suggested Fibromyalgia as another possibility, and that there is a Fibromyalgia board here also.

Seems like MS and Fibromyalgia are very difficult to diagnose, and have similar symptoms.

Have you been able to find anything out?

Best of luck.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #14
(male)

PhoS HB User
Lightbulb Re: Chest pain and heart palpitations

I found this thread on durning a search on google and I have been having the same symptoms. First it started a panic attack , went to the doc he says i'm fine then I had a more serious one so I went in for a full physical , he says im healthy. He also prescibed me .5mg Xanax to take when they pop up. I had a handfull after that but I havent had a panic attack but I did have a heavy heartbeat a few times. Currently I have been having the following symptoms quoted from the orignal post.

Quote:
I have chest pain every day, generally in the area of my left pectoral muscle, but often spreading to my shoulder and back. I have frequent heart palpitations
I have this exact same problem , the pain in in the upper more left of my chest sometimes into my arm or side. I dont have really frequent palpitations but usually atleast one or 2 a day. I rarely get them when resting but I cant sleep on my stomach or left side because it seems to make my heartbeat way more apparant which isnt cool. I did have a racing heart beat(mabye up to 120bpm) back when I was having the real panic attacks but I havent had a problem with it in quite a while.

Quote:
I often get sharp pains at different spots all over my body which only last for a few seconds. My muscles all over my body twitch involuntarily all the time.
I was having the sharp pains in my legs for a while but they went away. I do have some unusual muscle spasms/twitching thoughout the day mostly in my thighs.

Quote:
I have been to the ER three times in the last two weeks when this stuff has flared up. All of the doctors say im healthy and its a "stress reaction" I have had 4 EKG's all perfectly normal.

Quote:
I guess I'm having a hard time rationalizing that such profound physical symptoms could be caused by my head alone.
I feel the exact same way , the symptoms feel way too physical for me to be convinced its my mind. Also these problems did come out of nowhere , only major change in my life was that I had an uncle die 2 weeks before I started having the attacks. I wasnt particulary depressed or anything though. I'm not known by anyone to be someone that gets depressed in the first place.

I am scheduled to goto a cardioligist in about a week for a full heart exam. They mentioned the holter monitor so im sure ill have one of those on me soon. Probably get a stress test and blood test also.

I'm 21 years old , and in pretty decent shape not overweight or anything. I havent ever had any health problems until this stuff started. I check my heart rate several times a day now and its usually around 65bpm.

[QUOTE=anyone get sudden stabs under left breast anyone have any idea of what this is . i have read heart pains are not like stabs! anyone any info[/QUOTE]

I have had this pain once , felt like someone stabbed me in the middle of my chest with a pen. It didnt make me cringe over or anything I was just sitting there , felt it , and said "ow" the pain faded away pretty quickly after it came.

Hopefully we can get this stuff sorted out , im really getting sick of having the chest pain all day and have had enough of going the ER!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-01-2005 at 03:36 AM.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:41 AM   #15
(male)

Saywhat HB User

Your description sounds similar to a condition called Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. It's an electrical problem with the heart that's very difficult to detect. Most of the time it's passed off as anxiety or stress because test results always come back normal. It's not life threatening or dangerous, and can be treated in a number of ways. I recommend searching Supra Ventricular Tachycardia on Yahoo or Google, there are a number of informative sites on the condition that should help you figure out if you might have it or not.

Closed Thread