It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
(female)

Heartworm HB User
What kind of arrhythmia is this?

I've had PVCs for years, but now the pattern is changing and I'm wondering what it is? Can anyone help me?

I get a PVC and right after that my heart starts beating very evenly but very rapidly (I'd say two to three times faster than normal). This lasts for about 5-10 seconds and then the rhythm normalizes for a little while until I get another PVC or this combination arrhythmia. I don't have any pain or dizziness, but I feel a little anxious when the rhythm changes. What is this fast rhythm after the PVC and why am I getting it? Is this a dangerous pattern?

Old 12-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: What kind of arrhythmia is this?

It sounds like you're getting more than one PVC in a row or possibly PACs, that's what happens to me when I get several in a row, I've had this stuff since I was born so I can usually tell *exactly* what my heart is doing without much conscious thought (which is interesting at times but a curse when you're trying NOT to think about it LOL). It usually has to do with the abnormal rythm of the PVC causing the brain to think the body has a greater need for blood/oxygen supply and sending out a request to the heart to work harder which results in the temporarily elevated heart rate. Mention it to your dr. for a professional opinion specific to your case...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

Heartworm HB User

Thanks for answering, Kitten. Can you tell me if PVCs feel the same as PACs or is there a difference? I'm also wondering if you have both at the same time, is it common and is it dangerous?

Old 12-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartworm
I get a PVC and right after that my heart starts beating very evenly but very rapidly (I'd say two to three times faster than normal).
A common name for a rapid heart beat is tachycardia. I had it as a teen, and sometimes my rapid beat would last for a long time. My rapid beat started with a skipped beat, and then a thud where I would almost pass out, and then the fast, hard beating.

It continued for about thirty years until, one day, I could not get the tachycardia to stop, so it required medical intervention at that point.

Quote:
This lasts for about 5-10 seconds and then the rhythm normalizes for a little while until I get another PVC or this combination arrhythmia. I don't have any pain or dizziness, but I feel a little anxious when the rhythm changes. What is this fast rhythm after the PVC and why am I getting it? Is this a dangerous pattern?
My tachycardia events were caused by irritation from cigarette smoke and from allergens. During an allergic event, the body's endocrine system pumps chemicals (hormones) into the blood, which can effect the heart's electrical system. Tachycardias can also be triggered by normal circadian body cycles, or by pregnancy or menses.

One way to avoid the tachycardia would be to find out what allergens or irritants help to trigger the events and avoid them, if you can.

Only a qualified heart doctor would be able to assess the risk of your particular condition.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-12-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

I get both PACs and PVCs. They don't feel the same but they're both pretty hard to describe. I don't get them at the exact same time (I'm not sure, but I think that would be a bad thing...), but I do often get one right after the other.

The "skipped beat" or "fluttery" feeling is more likely a PAC, whereas a PVC feels more like an abnormally long pause with an "extra" or "irregular" beat. At least that's how the feelings I've been able to compare to the events tracked on monitors over the years LOL.

I'll try to put this into words to represent the feeling that I get, but it's probably going to look pretty silly . A normal heartbeat feels like dun-DUH. A PAC feels like DUN-duhDUH, and a PVC feels like dun--DUHdunDUH. Hmmm... yeah like that made any sense LOL!

Closed Thread