It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
(female)

an0maly HB User
Question Sudden, fast heartbeat

Hi, I'm 17, and starting about two years ago, I've had a few episodes of an extremely fast and hard heartbeat. The first time it happened, I just changed the position I was lying in, and it went fast for a few seconds. The episode after that was last year. I was sitting in my physics class and I took one slightly deeper breath than I usually would, as if I were sighing. My heart started beating really fast and hard, I felt dizzy and slightly nauseous, and after a while, my chest really hurt. That did not stop until an hour and fifty minutes afterwards when I ate and drank something. While I was walking to go and get my lunch, I had to physically stop and sit on the ground for a few minutes due to extreme nausea.
I think it happened once again after that, but it didn't last long and it stopped by itself.
I recently had another episode (coincidentally, in another science class) lasting for an hour and thirty minutes, which also stopped when I drank something.
I am not the very epitome of perfect health, but I'm not overweight or usually unhealthy . . . heck, I haven't even had a single day off school due to illness for five years. I have, however, been drinking Diet Pepsi for a large portion of my life, and I am aware that it contains caffeine. Does anyone know what's wrong with me? I've asked my mom, who's a registered nurse, and she doesn't know what's wrong with me either. I've never been to a doctor about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 PM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Sudden, fast heartbeat

Go to a doctor. Your mom, as a nurse, should know that it's something that needs to be evaluated! That being said, two things come to mind as the most likely causes - the first is anxiety, and the second is need of nourishment. You mentioned that two episodes occurred in science classes so I wonder if there is some connection; also you mentioned that eating alleviated the symptoms so again I wonder if there is a connection. As for the diet soda, caffiene could be the culprit or aspartame (the chemical they use in place of sugar) could be the culprit as some people are sensitive to it. At any rate, get yourself properly checked out for your own peace of mind. Please let us know how it goes.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

an0maly HB User

Thanks for your reply. I shall let you know how it goes.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

an0maly,
Sometimes they come from no NOWHERE and disappear, not to reappear for a long time. The aberration isn't usually dangerous but can be scary as all getout and the fear can rise to the point of nausea.
I believe the proper tem is Paroxysmal Tachycardia. If it happens often get it diagnosed, but for now, keep a watchful eye out. There is a method to get it to stop...but for the life of me, my mind is temporarily blank on the subject.
Maybe somebody else will remember it?

Last edited by Lenin; 12-10-2004 at 06:42 AM.

Old 12-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
(male)

Ryguy1 HB User

That's definitely something you should run by your doctor.

I'd also stay away from soda, and all caffeinated drinks, for that matter. I used to drink soda all the time in high school until about my senior year. Then I made a concerted effort to stop, choosing to carry a water bottle with me wherever I went, and it worked wonderfully. I can't remember the last time I had a Coke.

And Kitten's right about the aspartame, too. Just go to Google and search for aspartame. You'll likely be surprised at all the websites devoted to banning it altogether.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
(female)

an0maly HB User

Lenin, I know I've heard that name before.*gives you a cookie* Thanks for reminding me of it, I think I'll do some research on it now. Ryguy1, I think it's a great idea for me to stop drinking soda, but I'd have to have some time off, like a summer, so I can adjust my sleep schedule. I'm on a constant caffeine high right now (well, it's not really a high anymore) and not drinking soda for a day makes me really sleepy. So it'll take me some effort, but I do plan on eventually getting it out of my diet.

Old 12-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I believe the proper tem is Paroxysmal Tachycardia. If it happens often get it diagnosed, but for now, keep a watchful eye out. There is a method to get it to stop...but for the life of me, my mind is temporarily blank on the subject.
Maybe somebody else will remember it?
I had Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia in my teens, which was many decades ago. I found a way to stop the Tachycardia by lying on my back, taking very deep breaths, holding my breath for about five seconds, and then letting it out slowly and FULLY, and then repeating. Sometimes this would work for me after a few deep breaths. Other times it would take ten minutes, or more, of deep breaths, to stop the Tachycardia.

After about thirty years of infrequent bouts of tachycardia, I was unable to stop the tachycardia and had to get medical help.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
(female)

an0maly HB User

Well I hope mine will not give me too many problems, it's just that it always seems to happen at the most inconvenient time, when it's just impossible for me to get to a doctor or my family. And now it's not going to happen again for a long time.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Toxicity Effects of Aspartame Use

It often takes at least sixty days without *any* aspartame or NutraSweet to see a significant improvement. Check all labels very carefully (including vitamins and pharmaceuticals). Look for the word "aspartame" on the label and avoid it. (Also, it is a good idea to avoid "acesulfame-k" or "sunette.") Finally, avoid getting nutrition information from junk food industry PR organizations such as IFIC or organizations that accept large sums of money from the junk and chemical food industry such as the American Dietetic Association.

Panic Attacks (common aspartame toxicity reaction)

Seizures and Convulsions

Dizziness

Tremors

Migraines and Severe Headaches (Trigger or Cause From Chronic Intake)

Memory Loss (common Nutrasweet toxicity effects)

Slurring of Speech

Numbness or Tingling of Extremities

Chronic Fatigue

Depression

Insomnia

Irritability

Marked Personality Changes

Phobias

Rapid Heart Beat, Tachycardia (another frequent NutraSweet reaction)

Asthmatic Reactions

Chest Pains

Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)

Nausea or Vomiting

Diarrhea

Abdominal Pain

Swallowing Pain

Itching

Hives (Urticaria)

Other Allergic-Like Reactions

Blood Sugar Control Problems (Hypoglycemia or Hyperglycemia)

Menstrual Problems or Changes

Impotency and Sexual Problems

Craving for Food

Weight Gain

Hair Loss (Baldness) or Thinning of Hair

Burning Urination

Excessive Thirst or Hunger

Bloating, Edema (Fluid Retention)

Infection Susceptibility

Joint Pains

Brain Cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals)

Death

Old 03-04-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
(female)

an0maly HB User

Wow. That's a lot of stuff.

I've told my doctor about it, and she's told me I have an irregular heartbeat and to lower my caffeine intake, which is what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks. I'm going for further testing on the 18th of March, so hopefully it won't be something too serious.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

Closed Thread