It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran

howard678 HB User
beta blocker taper, a problem

My doc gave me a lot of samples of Toprol XL, 25 mgs. (not as many as I thought) that I have been taking. I was on these meds before, tapered off, have been back on 8 days and want to taper off again. BUT I only have 3 pills! My doc will not write me a script for any more without seeing me. And I unable to drive into the city right now. I do have a bottle of instant release Lopressor, 50 mgs tabs I can cut up and try to taper. Will be hard to measure cuts. But is this problematic, switching from extended release to instant?? The doc that put me on this refuses to "treat me over the phone," but I just cannot go see him right now. Thank you for any insights.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: beta blocker taper, a problem

Howard,

I wouldn't think that 8 days on Lopressor would require much more weaning than the three you have, if even that. Why not skip a day, take one, skip 2 days take the second and skip 3 days and take the third and call it quits. Alternatively you can chop the three into smazll pieces and apportion them out in a wean pattern. I'm SURE 3 is enough.
If you tachycardia over 120, then maybe rethink taking the Lopressor as needed but I really doubt you'll need it.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-10-2004 at 06:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Howard,

I wouldn't think that 8 days on Lopressor would require much more weaning than the three you have, if even that. Why not skip a day, take one, skip 2 days take the second and skip 3 days and take the third and call it quits. Alternatively you can chop the three into smazll pieces and apportion them out in a wean pattern. I'm SURE 3 is enough.
If you tachycardia over 120, then maybe rethink taking the Lopressor as needed but I really doubt you'll need it.
Thank you for the answer. Something will work out.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Go to your local pharmacy and get a pill splitter so you can make accurrate cuts. Of the three you have left, cut the first one in half and take half one day and half the next. Cut the next one in half and take half that day. Then cut the other half in half again, so you can take one fourth that day and the next. Then you've still got one pill left that you can cut in quarters if you still feel like you need another day or two of tapering. Alternately you could cut the first two in half and the third one in quarters and take one half a day for four days and then one quarter a day for four days, but that wouldn't leave you any leftover for "backup." But... by the time you spread it out like that, maybe you'll be able to get in to see a doctor. Generally tapering off of heart meds without the advice of a doctor is a bad idea... but you said you've done it before and I don't know your whole story so I'm going to assume that you have a reason for only staying on it for a short period of time and then tapering off. Good luck hon.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:45 AM   #5
Veteran

howard678 HB User

Thanks Kitten.

Well this doc stuck to his guns again today and would not write me a script, claiming he could not "treat me over the phone." He prescribed the meds and I need some. I have heard that pharmacies will give you at least a few betas in an emergency...

Closed Thread