It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
(male)

rob1963 HB User
PVC's and Toprol XL?

I had a series of tests and was dignosed with symptomatic PVC's. Now I'm on Toprol XL (25mg), I've cut way back on caffeine and I'm exercising more. As a result, I'm feeling much better and life is pretty much back to normal. The question I have is.....once you start on Toprol, do you have to keep taking it for the rest of your life? And do you gradually have to increase to 50mg, or 100mg, etc.? It's great medicine but I don't want to take it any longer then I have to. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 12:37 AM   #2

KarenBeth HB User
Re: PVC's and Toprol XL?

I am on Toprol 50mg, and They tried increasing me to 100mg and that totally screwed me up.. so I went back down to 50mg and I am fine. The DR told me it would be something I would take the rest of my life unless I wanted the PVC's to be all the time.. if you are diagnosed with Symptomatic PVC's, then it won't hurt to be on the meds, and your lucky that the meds have no side effect on you.. I would stick to it if it's helping.. I could see if you were having serious side effects then maybe it would be something you would want to get off eventually.. but if it's doing good for you.. why not.. Toprol can't harm you.. in fact it helps you out in the long run.. it slows your heart down from overloading.. it's actually a good thing. That's what I was told by my Dr..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
(male)

rob1963 HB User

KarenBeth, thanks for your response. I am now taking 37mg of Toprol daily and it's definitely helping. Went to the Cardio for a followup visit a few days ago and everything checked out fine. He wants me to stay on the Toprol for another 6 months or so, then see me again. Life is back to normal for me; I'm exercising 2 to 3 times a week now. I've cut way back on caffeine and I think that has made a huge difference.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
(male)

Saywhat HB User

The doctor might eventually try to ween you off the medication to see if your heart was able to revert back to its normal rythm.

Closed Thread