It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #1

-T- HB User
Update : Been Heart Doc

Hi Everyone,

I posted on here several weeks ago about my chest pains I've been having for a long time. I was intending to update everyone but cant find my previous post so I thought Id start a new one.

Well I saw the Heart doctor and he said I have classic Angina or heart problem symptoms but he doubts very much that I have this because of my age. Im 18. I wonder if he tells that to children who are born with holes in their hearts. . .

Anyway hes going to send me for a ECHO and a execise test where I run on the treadmill thingy all wired up.

He checked my ECG and said it looks fine even though my heart rate was 111bpm. I though that was a fast heart rate? How can it be normal if my heart rate is fast? I dont understand this technical stuff lol.

Does anyone know what a normal heart rate is? I've had 2 ECGS. The first was 132bpm and the one I had 3 weeks later was 111bpm. Is this normal?

Hope everyone is doing okay!

Old 12-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #2

-T- HB User
Re: Update : Been Heart Doc

Another update:

Has appointments arrive this morning. I'm having an ECHO, a 24hour monitor and a treadmill (exercise) test. All being done next month. 7th, 17th and the 25th of January.

I wont know my results until the doctor sends me the letter through the post with the results. I'll let you know how it goes.

*Fingers crossed its normal*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

You are young so the chance that something is seriously wrong is very low. Good luck with your tests.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

They sure do make people wait a while to get the tests done. When I was having chest pain I got all of mine done within a week or two!

Just curious, what is your height/weight? Could you describe your symptoms again and when they happen?

Old 12-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #5

-T- HB User

Yep they sure do make you wait a while. But I'm glad there being done. Wow I wish I had your doctors. It took me months of telling them before they even wrote down I was having chest pain, lol.

My height is 5"7 but I have no idea what my weight is. According to the cardio Im not overweight and the right weight for my height. Whatever that means.

My symptoms briefly as possible are: Heavy pressure on my chest or a vice like feeling and sometimes the sensation that someone is sitting on my chest. The pain usually radiates down my left are and stops before it reaches the elbow but it has gone into my little finger before. Sometimes I can have tingling down my left arm when I experience the chest pain instead of the pain going down my arm.

The chest pain usually happens when I'm pretty much exercising (running, walking, lifting things etc) or it can happen when I'm relaxed and doing nothing. There's no set time for how long the pain lasts or when it comes. Can happen a few times a day, a few times a week or a few times a month. It really varies but its usually a few times a week and sometimes once or twice day. It really varies as I've said. When I have the pain I begin to get flushed, my face goes red and I sweat then I go dizzy. I have passed out twice before due to this. I also have a heart rate which varies between 100bpm to 132bpm resting.

Thanks for your replies guys. I do agree with you on some level NineLives but a lot of problems are dismissed in children and young adults because "their too young to have anything serious" which in my experience is wrong and just a way of fobbing off the individual. I really wonder what they say to mothers when their baby has a hole in his/her heart, diseased airways, lukaemia or anything like that. I dont think your too young to have anything serious would be appreciated in them cases. Im sorry if I sound like Im being a bit "off". I dont mean to be. Its just its a sore subject for me. I really hope nothing is wrong but with chest pains at my age and these symptoms it does become worrying. Im sure you understand and thank you for replying again.

Last edited by -T-; 12-15-2004 at 02:00 PM.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I do understand. I was 41 and female and I was not taken seriously although I had a serious blockage. What I was saying is that it is not likely but it is not impossible. That is why I wished you good luck with your tests.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

A resting HR of 132 is definately not "normal." Whether it is a symptom of an underlying problem or a random anomaly can only be determined by tests, and what treatment may be needed will depend on the results of that. But from the sounds of things you need to look for a second opinion at the very least; I don't understand how any COMPETENT doctor could look at a resting heartrate that high and dismiss it as being "normal" without further tests - unless he has not kept up with his education and really believes that 18 year olds cannot have heart problems.

Kitten <-- a kid born with a hole in her heart

Old 12-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #8

-T- HB User

NineLives - I'm sorry hun. I'm just having a stressy period in my life right now. I didn't mean to snap at you. Thank you for your luck and good luck with you blockage.

Kitten - Im having some tests done hun. The treadmill thingy, ECHO and a 24 hour monitor thing. I hope they come back normal then I can jsut write it off as a weird chest pain thing and try to forget about it. I hate seeing doctors. They think their so superior.

I thought that heart rate was high to. My dad said between 60-100bpm is normal. The Cardio did said my ECG was normal (which is great) but he didn't say anything about the heart rate which I thought was strange. But I'm glad Im having some tests. Im just worried about the treadmill as without a doubt, I will have chest pains. But at least its being looked into.

Im sorry about the hole in your heart. Are you okay now?

Old 12-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #9
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

T, having chest pains on the treadmill during the stress test would be the best thing that could possibly happen. That would almost guaruntee that the docs had an accurate recording of what is going on when your pains occur. So try not to "stress" to much about the stress test (((hugs))).

Old 12-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #10

-T- HB User

I'll try not to Kitten. I'll just think positive and wont worry. *hugs back*

Old 12-16-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Quote:
Im sorry about the hole in your heart. Are you okay now?
Yeah I'm pretty much okay now, everything is "normal" and healthy I just have premature beats a lot, but I always have so I don't really know what it's like to *not* have them LOL. I'm not much older than you either, T (24), so I know it can be scary to deal with this stuff when we're young!

Old 12-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #12

-T- HB User

Yeah it can be scary. I hate having ECG's done when you have to go topless. Its well embarassing. *blushes* lol.

I'm glad your doing better now though. It's horrible when your young and ill. Hopefully mine is a big fat normal. I'd be over the moon if it is.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:42 PM   #13
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Just try to remember, the people that do the tests are used to looking at topless people . I never really cared that much probably because I started having to have things done when I was so young but I'm pretty sure you can request female technicians to administer the test if it really bothers you . Good luck with your tests and I'll keep you in my prayers that everything turns out normal for you .

Old 12-19-2004, 04:37 PM   #14

-T- HB User

Lol I think you're right Kitten. I just get very embarassed when I have to go topless and I hate having examinations at the doctors. I find it very uncomfortable cause Im nervous when I get there and become extra shy. I'll definitely as for a female technician. Thanks hun thats really sweet. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread