HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   Asprin.... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/232717-asprin.html)

SamuelB 12-13-2004 06:29 AM

Asprin....

A lot of people say that taking half an asprin a day is good for the Heart.

Does any one have any advice regarding this?

Is it worth taking, or just purely a myth

Many Thanks

monarchangel 12-13-2004 12:33 PM

Re: Asprin....

I think it is worth taking. My boyfriend had surgery on his carotid artery last year, and before the surgery, he began taking an 81 miligram asprin everyday. It works to help thin the blood to help keep it flowing better. I don't think it's a myth, but I would ask A dr. before you begin taking anything everyday becuase if you have any stomach problems or other things, it could do more harm than good. Good luck

-T- 12-13-2004 02:14 PM

As the above poster said, I would ask your doctor before you take Asprin. You dont want to take anything which may aggrevate your symptoms. You have to be careful soemtimes with Asprin, as long term use can make your skin tissue paper thin. Especially in the elderly. Im not sure how if effects younger people but I would definitely consult your doctor about this.

Lenin 12-14-2004 05:37 AM

Sam,

Consider it ABSOLUTELY necessary unless contraindicated by sensitivity, or ulcer, or any bleeding irregularity.
If you can take it, you SHOULD.
It really will do more to avoid a heart attack or an ischemic stroke than any pill on the market.
I take AT LEAST one generic 325 mg. tab every day, and usually 2 (and very often 4 or more because of aches and pains of dotage.:D)

NineLives 12-14-2004 07:23 PM

81mg per day should be sufficient. Take a daily aspirin only under the advice of a physician. Remember all medicines even aspirin can have negative effects.

Kitten1980 12-14-2004 11:36 PM

There are definitively proven medical benefits to taking a daily small does of aspirin. However, there are also risks of side effects as with any drug. Your best bet is to ask your physician if it is right for you, because what's right for one person might be detrimental for another.

I have taken daily for several years a multivitamen, a potassium supplement, and the herbal preperation of hawthorn berries. In light of the increasing evidence that a daily small dose of aspirin can prevent blood clots and associated problems and actually protect the heart in other ways as well, I will probably ask my doctor if I should consider adding aspirin to my regimen. But, since I am fairly young and long-term aspirin use can lead to stomach problems it might not be time to start that yet.

As with any drug there is a risk vs. benefit analysis that has to take place on an individual level with the guidance of your doctor.

vinny1957 12-24-2004 09:56 PM

My Dr. has put me on asprin along with Plavix (I have stents) she said that asprin works on a different part of the blood, so it's good to take.

Lenin 12-25-2004 11:55 AM

vinny,

beware of PLAVIX!

anon2239 12-26-2004 03:46 PM

My doctor has recommended asprin daily...BUT... you MUST NOT take on an empty stomach!!! My mother did this for years and ended up with bleeding ulcers in stomach from the asprin. She did die from this and I want to scream from the roof tops that you MUST EAT SOMETHING WHEN YOU TAKE ASPRIN!!!

Sandra

jpos 12-26-2004 06:36 PM

I think you should ask your dr., too. My cardio put me on 81mg of aspirin and said he has his parents taking it, also. (His main concern with me though was a blood clotting disorder and I have stopped taking it.) If you take it you can get the coated (enteric) aspirin.

Excelsoir 12-27-2004 05:42 PM

Yes, take the enteric coated version every time. Also, with meals.Good Luck
Excelsoir