It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Mitral Valve Prolapse: Treatment question

I'm going on some rather sketchy info at this moment but have a question.
A friend of my sister.. [said friend is female in her late 40's] went for routine physical.

Doctor heard a murmur.

She went for an echo and also used a 24-hr holter monitor.

All bloods and urinalysis normal.
Blood pressure normal (slightly below 120/80)

Diagnosis was mitral valve prolapse.

She has mentioned NO symptoms except for ocassional transient tachycardia (up to 160 bpm). How frequently her heart hits this number I don't know yet.

The cardiologist has prescribed ALTACE 2.5 mg..

From what I gather, he explained that her situation is "rather benign" and that he is prescribing the med for her prophylactically.

My question is, at what point do drugs become necessary with MVP? Does she really NEED Altace?? Obviously this cardio man thinks so but I always thought if you had a mild prolapse and were asymptomatic it was more of a "watch and wait" situation.

But let's say one DOES need meds, is Altace ( or for that matter ACE inhibitors in general) the drug of choice? What about beta blockers?

Would love some imput..

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-14-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Mitral Valve Prolapse: Treatment question

Anybody?

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I was diagnosed with MVP 3 years ago and have never been on any medication.
I was told in the case of beta blockers, it was best to wait as long as possible to start on them. Basically, if I begin to become more symptomatic and I can't live with those symptoms, they'd look into meds.

I also have transient tacycardia (sp?) and frequent PVC's. Nothing at this point I can't live with, though.

Regular moderate excercise has been proven to do wonders for symptomatic MVP patients.

So she's basically taking this medication "as needed?" I wouldn't think that she'd need anything at this point, seeing as how she obviously hasn't been bothered enough to get it checked out herself. She probably does need to have antibiotics on hand to take before she goes to the dentist or for any type of invasive procedure.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 12-21-2004 at 09:22 AM.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Siren,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I posted basically because I do question the need for an ace inhibitor (Altace) or any meds (except of course antibiotics in the wings) at this point. I don't even think the doctor rx'd "as needed" but rather, daily "for life"!

I have to get more information from her...maybe something else is going on I don't know about or the degree of her regurgitation is severe and she's more symptomatic than I know.

I did find out yesterday though, that her sister who's a few years older also has MVP and now needs surgery...Maybe the doc's prophylactic approach is so that our friend can avoid surgery down the line(?).

zuzu xxx

Old 12-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #5

nice sun HB User

Surgery for MVP? What's that all about? I've not heard of this kinda thing before, I haven't exactly done huge amounts of research on my MVP and would like to know more about what leads to surgery or what gets done. I ask coz I'm sorta experiencing a turn but could have some sort of arrhythmia problem but won't rule out how the MPV fits into things.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nice sun,

Most people with MVP do not need any treatment necessarily. However, a very small percentage, like 2% have complications where the valve is very leaky and creates enough symptoms where surgery (as opposed to doing nothing OR meds) is indicated to repair the damaged valve.

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 12-21-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

I was diagnosed with MVP over 30 years ago, was under severe stress and heart was skipping etc so the Dr wanted to put me on drugs, I said no thanks. Here I am 66yo and still alive I do however take care of myself. I walk daily, keep weight down and also take Hawthorn herb, Vit E and CoQ10 supplements that are good for the heart. I do get incidents of heart skipping/palpitations etc but I start doing slow breathing, relax and take some herbs for relaxation and then I am ok.
anneh
QUOTE=zuzu8]I'm going on some rather sketchy info at this moment but have a question.
A friend of my sister.. [said friend is female in her late 40's] went for routine physical.

Doctor heard a murmur.

She went for an echo and also used a 24-hr holter monitor.

All bloods and urinalysis normal.
Blood pressure normal (slightly below 120/80)

Diagnosis was mitral valve prolapse.

She has mentioned NO symptoms except for ocassional transient tachycardia (up to 160 bpm). How frequently her heart hits this number I don't know yet.

The cardiologist has prescribed ALTACE 2.5 mg..

From what I gather, he explained that her situation is "rather benign" and that he is prescribing the med for her prophylactically.

My question is, at what point do drugs become necessary with MVP? Does she really NEED Altace?? Obviously this cardio man thinks so but I always thought if you had a mild prolapse and were asymptomatic it was more of a "watch and wait" situation.

But let's say one DOES need meds, is Altace ( or for that matter ACE inhibitors in general) the drug of choice? What about beta blockers?

Would love some imput..

zuzu xxx[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread