It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #1
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Question Water??? Anyone Else Have This Problem???

This isn't really new, at least not for me, but now I have a place to talk about it and it happened while I was taking a bath tonight so I started to wonder if this happens to other people and what could be causing it.

Whenever I am submerged to the level of my chest in water, I notice an increase in frequency and severity of palpitations. It doesn't seem to matter what type of water, what position I'm in, or the level of exertion involved. It happens if I'm splashing around in a pool or standing calmly, or even sitting in the shallow part. It happens if I'm in chlorine or bromine pools, as well as when I'm swimming in the ocean. And as I mentioned earlier it even happens if I'm lying down in the bath.

The only thing I can think of, is that the pressure of the water on my chest is making me more *aware* of something that is occurring anyway. I suppose that is quite possible since to a large extent I think my brain is so used to my heart's "wierdness" that I don't conciously process a lot of what I feel unless I'm particularly thinking about it.

Last edited by Kitten1980; 12-17-2004 at 04:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Water???

Okay I guess I'm just wierd LOL!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

You are not weird, the same thing happens to me if I take a hot bath. Cool water doesnt bother me, nor do pools or the ocean. I have always thought the hot bath caused palpitations. The hot water causes the blood vessels to dilate.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Okay that makes sense medically. I'm going to have to "test" the theory with hot & cold bath water to see if that's what's going on with me LOL. I'm trying to think of various situations where it's happened, and it seems that I took every variable into account *except* water temperature. I like warm baths though, and where I swim in the ocean the water would be warm. It would vary on pools though so I'm not sure when it did or didn't happen. Interesting insight, thanks - I knew someone here would have at least an idea on it!

Closed Thread